The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

SAFC Settings help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camas90gsx

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 16, 2011
seaside, Oregon
Hey, I have a 90 gsx turbo with walboro 255, heavily ported evo3 manifold and o2 housing, turbo back exhaust (w no cat), 2g maf, punishment fmic and currently 450cc injectors. Heres my question though, I want to hook up my SAFC, but I bought it used and got no instruction book with it. I have 650 FIC injectors to put into it, but what are the ideal safc settings to do that? I have never used an safc before, so any help would be great. Thanks

Also, I have heard people say that it can wreck your car if you run an o2 wire, so is it mandatory to do that as well? Thanks

It can wreck it if you don't have a wideband O2, because you need to monitor the changes to make sure everything works out. All the cars are different so you'll need to tune it via a wideband. To give you an idea though.

RRE's Super AFC Setting and Adjustment Tips

but at any rate you'll need a logger of some sort to tune with

[(S / N) - 1] * 100 = C

Where,

N = New Injector Size
S = Stock Injector Size
C = SAFC Correction Factor

So, in your case the calculation would be:

[(450 / 650) - 1] * 100 = -30.769%

Set your low side to -28% across the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help with accounting for injector swap.I installed them along with a 2g maf and fmic and it feels way stronger than ever.i still havent installed the safc but havent driven my car more than around the block.What would be a realistic setting to account for the 2g maf swap as far as air goes.The mods again are- 3 in tbe no cat,walbro255,evo3 16g,evo3 mani,evo3 o2,650's,2g maf,mbc.I realize that every car is different but i need a good point to start from and adjust from there.Thank's guys

Yeah actually i just read an awesome thread on how to tune so i think i'll be fine.The issue now is that i dont know if my safc even works sinceI bought it used.Is there a way to test it before installing?I've got my kick plate removed and ready to go bit i dont want to solder in the wires if the safc doesnt work.Also i am getting my friends ecm link in two monthes so this is a temporary set up.Am i gonna mess up my ecu by installing this safc so that i cant hook up the ecm link when im ready?If i install the safc and cant figure out how to tune can i just leave it on factory settings and be ok?Sorry this is an awful lot of questions but i am an executive chef and i have very limited free time so i have to make the most of it if possible.I'm a newbie to dsm and can only use my prevoius mustang experience so much with turbo cars.

Oh hey Steve nice 1g dsm in your profile pic by the way.It looks very similar to a dsm i've seen recently, LOL! Hard to tell,are those evo enkies on your's as well?I love the 2 tone white-black 1g.Its by far my favorite of all dsm's whether it be 1g or 2g.When i saw mine i had to buy it.

That would be a great idea in theory but i dont want to run my car for the next two and a half monthes with no sort of tuning in place.I figure since i have the safc might as well use it.If i have to buy a new ecu later so be it,i'm getting the ecm link for no charge so no biggie.But with 650's,walbro 255, and 2g maf,and fmic,etc.. i would not feel comfortable running higher than stock boost or going close to wot without tuning and wideband.My 1g is way too nice and clean to risk it.Even though the car feels amazing the way it is right now,i would feel way more comfortable with atleast safc for the time being.

Ok guy's I installed the 650's, 2g maf and the fmic and my car is running amazing, that is along w/ walbro 255,e3 16g,e3 manifold,e3 o2,and 3 in tbe that were already installed.I would like to go ahead and install my safc2 now.So,am i able to hook up the safc2 and if i cant get it right is there a way to keep it installed and not use it,like to just have it not functioning but still hooked up.I'm just wanting to tune this car and on the thread i read it says to rev to 1000 and then adjust the safc2 to get between 88v and 92v i believe to be ideal.Does that number show up on the safc2 or on something else like a wideband.Then it says to do that in 1000 rpm increments up to 7000.I know that is just the low settings and the high settings need to be done while driving with a passenger to assist but basically the same concept right?and there are other functions i need to set as well(not blue wire mod)I just wanted to know if that 88-92 voltage number appears on the safc.I fully intend on getting a wideband but finances dont allow and i would like to have some sort of tuning device in place for the mean time and just take it easy on my car until i get the w/b.I will also be getting a a/f gauge soon as well.So do the voltage #'s appear on the safc2,and am i seeming to be on the right path as far as how to start tuning with the safc?

Also if i set my low settings to -28 across the board to account for my 650 injectors like he said doesnt the 2g maf and evo3 16g on my 1g come into play with that calculation as well?I was under the assumption that the 2g maf would bring up that number a bit.If i remember right one thread said that a hacked 1g maf with the screw backed out brought up that number by 5,so would the 2g maf bring it up say 10 or so to -18 or am i way off here?And would me having my wally 255 change that equation?i'm guessing that it doesnt but had to ask.

I'm reluctant to post because I can see you hurting your car in the very near future. You seem to be in so much of a hurry to the point of not caring if you actually understand what you're doing. Why did you install the 2G MAF and 650s?

The O2 sensor should be a wideband and it should be datalogged, which is also where you're wondering about getting the unreliable and inaccurate 0.88-0.92 volt values from the stock narrowband sensor. Yes, you have to buy both of those 2 other devices to safely use your SAFC. If you're planning on upgrading to ECMLink soon, I'd just wait. ECMLink is a very powerful datalogger and tuning solution all in one.

Wow delta 448, im just trying to get as much information as i can thats why im asking for advice not just rushing into areas that i am not 100% sure of.Im not in a hurry at all, i just want to make sure that i am doing the right thing so that i dont hurt my car.I was under the impression that the forums were here for fellow dsmers to help each other out, thats why i was posting my questions and concerns.hmmm

I have a question too since you talking aboult the injector size i have pte 880s injectors would that be too big for my apexi afc 2 ill be running 190l fuel pump and i have the evo 3 16g i was told that 190 fuel pumpnis enought for those injectors and is more than enough for that turbo.. how would i set up my safc so i can run those injectors i dont enought money to buy dsmlink i have a 95 eclipse gsx if someone can help is apreciate it i also have the manual of my safc2.. i dont know if you mind OP if i ask this question on your thread.

SAFC gets out of its controllable range after 660's.
Any bigger and youre just loading the car up with advanced timing.

Wow delta 448, im just trying to get as much information as i can thats why im asking for advice not just rushing into areas that i am not 100% sure of.Im not in a hurry at all, i just want to make sure that i am doing the right thing so that i dont hurt my car.I was under the impression that the forums were here for fellow dsmers to help each other out, thats why i was posting my questions and concerns.hmmm
I'm sorry if I came across harsh, I may have read too much into it. Ask away, but don't be surprised if you get worse responses when you skip doing research of your own. Everything you've asked about so far is covered on this site, and nobody is going to be able to tell you exactly what settings to use with your setup. Every car's different, that's why it's called tuning.

I have a question too since you talking aboult the injector size i have pte 880s injectors would that be too big for my apexi afc 2 ill be running 190l fuel pump and i have the evo 3 16g i was told that 190 fuel pumpnis enought for those injectors and is more than enough for that turbo.. how would i set up my safc so i can run those injectors i dont enought money to buy dsmlink i have a 95 eclipse gsx if someone can help is apreciate it i also have the manual of my safc2.. i dont know if you mind OP if i ask this question on your thread.
IMO, 880s are too big unless you're using E85 or another alcohol, and if you are using alcohol then your pump may in fact be too small. That pump would support the E3 16G if you were running straight gasoline. But your ignition timing will be skewed badly with that much airflow correction to the ECU if you run gasoline with those injectors.

I have done tons of research on the safc, but I like to get opinions from people who have done this stuff, along with reading how to do it, so that I know exactly what im going to be getting myself in to and how to fix it if need be. After looking at a lot of the different links that people have given me on here (Thanks for those btw) I have figured out how to install the safc all except for one wire.

3) Air Flow Signal: Cut the Green wire with a blue stripe and Orange bands, corresponding to the connector hole as shown above

I dont have that wire. I have a green wire with red bands on it. Is this the wire that I should be using on that step? The last thing I want to do is use a wrong wire and fry my whole system. Thanks again for any help or suggestions

So you saying that my injectors are way to big my safc 2 i dont have the money to run dsmlink and also what else i can do to run those injectors with out screwing my timing and ignition the only way i see it is to sell my safc2 and get a better tuning device..

3) Air Flow Signal: Cut the Green wire with a blue stripe and Orange bands, corresponding to the connector hole as shown above

I dont have that wire. I have a green wire with red bands on it. Is this the wire that I should be using on that step? The last thing I want to do is use a wrong wire and fry my whole system. Thanks again for any help or suggestions

Make sure that when you are cutting wires, you are looking at the back of the plug and not the front. Locking tab on top. Mine is the top row of the largest plug, second wire in. It is green wire with a blue stripe on it. 90 talon awd

I actually had quite an easy time installing the safc2 once i went at it,and i hate doing anything related to electrical.Once i had it installed it i decided to pull out the 650's and throw in some 560 evo's.No matter what anyone says it is a bi*** to tune 650's with safc.After i swapped to the 560's my numbers on my w/b were so legit that the ecu compensated for the 560's and the 2g maf to the point that i didnt need the safc.Infact the numbers were almost identical to when it was stock.I just got lucky with that combo because most people that have tried 560's with 2g maf on a 1g were too rich.Now im just gonna wait until next month when i can go to my shop and dyno tune it legit on ecmlink then maybe i'll go with bigger injectors along with speed density,map sensor etc..

I actually had quite an easy time installing the safc2 once i went at it,and i hate doing anything related to electrical.Once i had it installed it i decided to pull out the 650's and throw in some 560 evo's.No matter what anyone says it is a bi*** to tune 650's with safc.After i swapped to the 560's my numbers on my w/b were so legit that the ecu compensated for the 560's and the 2g maf to the point that i didnt need the safc.

I've heard that anything over 650's is a pain. I just picked up a 1g that had 750's on a 14b OMG. It ran suprisingly well actually. Problem is, I threw on a 20G (a deal I couldn't pass up) and now I'm not quite sure what to do. I bought this as a beater and am wondering if I can make it work without spending more money on something like dsmlink.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back