Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Maintenance & Repairs
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Maintenance & Repairs: Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 2,433
Photos: 12
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 22
Reputation: XiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthyXiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthyXiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to XiKeiyaZI

AC in a 2G 6 bolt swap

So, I miss my AC. I know that Fall is creeping around the corner, but I'd like to go ahead and get it installed in the near future. The question here is, though - What do I use? I've uninstalled AC before, however, I have not reinstalled it in a 2G 6 bolt swapped vehicle. So, I have the following questions.

1 : I know that differences are few, however there are differences in the 6bolt engine vs the 7bolt. Do they differences call for me to use a compressor/mounting bracket from a 6 bolt or 7bolt or does it matter at all? Sadly I do not have two compressors from each engine to verify on my own.

2 : Which lines do I use? Not having the compressors to compare, are the lines different at all other than routing? Can I use 1G lines in a 2G body? Will any of the ends which bolt to the compressor/condensor/etc need to be custom fitted?

3 : Do I retain the same placement for the cooler and such as a 2G? I suppose the lines will dictate this.

I'm not worried about weight, horse power loss, or anything like that, so please stay on topic with this if at all possible. I have the compressor/mount/lines from a 1G and the cooler/canister/dash assembly for a 2G. What can be used and what can't?

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2006 Nissan Sentra SE
Tech Posts: 1,967
Classifieds Rating: 26
Reputation: 97gst_spyder is pretty helpful and trustworthy97gst_spyder is pretty helpful and trustworthy
The lines are picked by what year compressor your using, 95-96 (longer compressor), and 97-99 (shorter compressor) are the matching years.

The compressor will sit in the same position with either engine. So the lines will be the same.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Reputation: XiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthyXiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthyXiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthy
So I could drop in a 1G setup and everything will match up as far as the cooler/canister/under dash connection on the firewall which came with my 2G's body? Or let me clarify. Here's what I have.. to make it a bit easier

1G Compressor
1G Lines
2G Cooler
2G Canister
2G Under-Dash Assembly

Mix and Match?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:33 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: 97gst_spyder is pretty helpful and trustworthy97gst_spyder is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Use all 2g parts. In your 2g.

I don't think a 1g compressor will work in a 2g. They used R12 in most, plus the 2g compressors are newer technology.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

So regardless of it being a 6 bolt engine, a 7bolt AC compressor + lines will mate up perfectly with everything else? I'd just hate to run into fitment issues on the compressor.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:01 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,540
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via MSN to T is for TURBO
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiKeiyaZI View Post
So regardless of it being a 6 bolt engine, a 7bolt AC compressor + lines will mate up perfectly with everything else? I'd just hate to run into fitment issues on the compressor.
Should't have any issue if you use all your 2g stuff. The compressors mount the same, and you should be useing all of your 2g pulleys already, so the belts should all be the same.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:26 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

I'd look for 99 parts. They're newer and smaller.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:33 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 2,600
Photos: 20
Classifieds Rating: 23
Send a message via AIM to Black Widow97
I would use all parts from your year of car. That way the only problem you would have is mounting the compressor, if it is not a direct bolt on. I am not sure if it is or not.