The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G AC in a 2G 6 bolt swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XiKeiyaZI

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2008
Goldsboro, North_Carolina
So, I miss my AC. I know that Fall is creeping around the corner, but I'd like to go ahead and get it installed in the near future. The question here is, though - What do I use? I've uninstalled AC before, however, I have not reinstalled it in a 2G 6 bolt swapped vehicle. So, I have the following questions.

1 : I know that differences are few, however there are differences in the 6bolt engine vs the 7bolt. Do they differences call for me to use a compressor/mounting bracket from a 6 bolt or 7bolt or does it matter at all? Sadly I do not have two compressors from each engine to verify on my own.

2 : Which lines do I use? Not having the compressors to compare, are the lines different at all other than routing? Can I use 1G lines in a 2G body? Will any of the ends which bolt to the compressor/condensor/etc need to be custom fitted?

3 : Do I retain the same placement for the cooler and such as a 2G? I suppose the lines will dictate this.

I'm not worried about weight, horse power loss, or anything like that, so please stay on topic with this if at all possible. I have the compressor/mount/lines from a 1G and the cooler/canister/dash assembly for a 2G. What can be used and what can't?

The lines are picked by what year compressor your using, 95-96 (longer compressor), and 97-99 (shorter compressor) are the matching years.

The compressor will sit in the same position with either engine. So the lines will be the same.

So I could drop in a 1G setup and everything will match up as far as the cooler/canister/under dash connection on the firewall which came with my 2G's body? Or let me clarify. Here's what I have.. to make it a bit easier

1G Compressor
1G Lines
2G Cooler
2G Canister
2G Under-Dash Assembly

Mix and Match?

Use all 2g parts. In your 2g.

I don't think a 1g compressor will work in a 2g. They used R12 in most, plus the 2g compressors are newer technology.

So regardless of it being a 6 bolt engine, a 7bolt AC compressor + lines will mate up perfectly with everything else? I'd just hate to run into fitment issues on the compressor.

So regardless of it being a 6 bolt engine, a 7bolt AC compressor + lines will mate up perfectly with everything else? I'd just hate to run into fitment issues on the compressor.

Should't have any issue if you use all your 2g stuff. The compressors mount the same, and you should be useing all of your 2g pulleys already, so the belts should all be the same.

I'd look for 99 parts. They're newer and smaller.

I would use all parts from your year of car. That way the only problem you would have is mounting the compressor, if it is not a direct bolt on. I am not sure if it is or not.

So regardless of it being a 6 bolt engine, a 7bolt AC compressor + lines will mate up perfectly with everything else? I'd just hate to run into fitment issues on the compressor
I know this was 10 years ago, but you might be able to help me. Did your AC system work out with what you had? Or did you have to buy all 2G parts?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back