Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Maintenance & Repairs
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Maintenance & Repairs: Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 833
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 9
Send a message via AIM to talontsiboy24
1G-specific

My car is hard to start sometimes and idle changes with outside temperatures change.

Sometimes when i go start my car up it will crank over n over n over but wont turn on then i will stop for a few seconds and try again and it takes a couple cranks and turns on but takes a few seconds to get the idle where it should be this only seems to happen when the temps outside are 50f and above on coldstarts.

I know its not these parts because i just put them in:
Spark plugs have 2000 miles
Ignition wires have 2300 miles
Brand new alternator n belt just installed 1000miles
Battery Tested and putting out excellent volts.
New oem pcv valve 2300 miles

This been goin on even before i changed these parts it does it only once in a while and but most of the time it will fire right up in one crank no matter what the temp is outside.

The fuel pressure solenoid and purge control solenoid valve has been deleted can this be why my car is hard to start in warmer temps?

Also noticed my idle is lower in warmer outside temperatures then in colder can it be my mafs goin bad or this coolant temp sensor? Like today it was 70f and the idle wasnt as high as it would be in 30f.

Last edited by talontsiboy24; 04-04-2011 at 06:06 PM.
View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:11 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,056
Photos: 9
Classifieds Rating: 4
Have you checked the coolant temp sensor? If it's reading wrong it'll cause that.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,434
Photos: 18
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: GRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
If it cranks and cranks and cranks like you said it does sometimes, I highly doubt it's your starter. I think it's passed the starter test.

Maybe you need to check your coolant temp sensor as they like to cause hard starting problems. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2011, 11:16 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 797
Photos: 10
1. Hmm, the hard start could be the FPR not holding fuel pressure and taking extra cranks to make the pressure needed to start.

2. As for the idle, does it idle really low at first(500-600rpm) then slowly build up? And is it worse on warm starts when the car has been sitting for like 20-30 minutes?

My car does number 2. and i'm stumped.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:19 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 19
also check your battery connection

Old 03-15-2011, 11:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 33
Classifieds Rating: 3
+3 on the Coolant Temp Sensor. Check the connection. Over time the wires around the thermostat housing tend to get very brittle and break. The sensor is the one towards the bottom with two wires. The one with one wire is for the temp gauge. and the one towards the top is for the A/C.

The ECU adjusts the Air/Fuel ratio depending on the temperature of the coolant. If the wire is broke, the ECU thinks it's -79 degrees(don;t quote me) and it will take forever to start.

This tread has some decent pictures.

93 talon coolant temp sensor

Old 03-15-2011, 12:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQTalon92 View Post
+3 on the Coolant Temp Sensor. Check the connection. Over time the wires around the thermostat housing tend to get very brittle and break. The sensor is the one towards the bottom with two wires. The one with one wire is for the temp gauge. and the one towards the top is for the A/C.

The ECU adjusts the Air/Fuel ratio depending on the temperature of the coolant. If the wire is broke, the ECU thinks it's -79 degrees(don;t quote me) and it will take forever to start.

This tread has some decent pictures.

93 talon coolant temp sensor
i pulled the connectors off the sensors and found them to be very dirty so i wiped them clean and put the connectors back so will see if that helped any.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,056
Photos: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiboy24 View Post
i pulled the connectors off the sensors and found them to be very dirty so i wiped them clean and put the connectors back so will see if that helped any.
Keep us posted, not only that but the sensor itself might be causing the issue. Let' see how that goes, let us know.
Visit Chicken Patty's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-17-2011, 01:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Patty View Post
Keep us posted, not only that but the sensor itself might be causing the issue. Let' see how that goes, let us know.
Yea cleaning the connectors did nothing still was hard to cold start the car so should i just go by a new coolant temp sensor its $17.99 at autozone or does it have to be oem? Also heard if its bad it will throw a cel but i have no cel lights on?

Last edited by talontsiboy24; 03-17-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 03-19-2011, 10:58 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 14.407 @ 99.760
Tech Posts: 426
Photos: 2
Mines doing the same thing...last time it was fixed by tightening the alt belt.Idk why but that fixed it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Old 03-19-2011, 10:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gst16g View Post
Mines doing the same thing...last time it was fixed by tightening the alt belt.Idk why but that fixed it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Def not my alternator belt it has a brand new alternator and belt and its on tight.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,310
Photos: 7
Reputation: DSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
you got the vacuum lines that runs to that thermal valve closed off, for if not, you got major vacuum leaks.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM1G90 View Post
you got the vacuum lines that runs to that thermal valve closed off, for if not, you got major vacuum leaks.
where do those lines connect to from the thermal valve?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:37 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,310
Photos: 7
Reputation: DSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
You had your EGR system eliminated somehow, for the two lines runs to the two connections of the EGR and intake manifold.

It runs in a loop system that operates both sides of the EGR diaphram - it's a "push and pull" type of EGR valve.

There should be two connections by the throttle plate that should be closed off if the vacuum lines to the EGR and this thermal valve are missing.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:58 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 35
Classifieds Rating: 0
I had that kind of problem when I first swap my new motor in my 1990 talon awd. try to mess around with the wiper relay by the battery on the firewall. I was messing with that and that solve my problem.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Now that the temps are down in the 30s my car fires up right away i think it starts doin this when its warmer out so should i just get a new coolant temp sensor and see what happens i mean its only $17 and i can always return it what do guys think? bwd or duralast coolant temp sensor or has to be oem?

Last edited by talontsiboy24; 03-25-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 44
Photos: 1
replace fuel filter but it sounds like is temperature sensor

Old 03-26-2011, 11:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 48
Classifieds Rating: 0
I think if you have the option of returning to the store, get one and see if it will work but as far as the

best brand I would stay with the OEM because it is made for your specific car. I know it is pricey but in

my opinion its the best solution. I had the same issue but it was not the temp sensor, it was the one of

the two solenoid that sits on top of the brake fluid reservoir. My Fuel pressure control solenoid valve

was toast. The shop that I went to did bypass it and the car did start a lot faster.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:15 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 3,447
Photos: 41
Classifieds Rating: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_talon View Post
I had that kind of problem when I first swap my new motor in my 1990 talon awd. try to mess around with the wiper relay by the battery on the firewall. I was messing with that and that solve my problem.
What do you mean you "messed around with it"? Was it loose or did you replace it? I am having a similar issue: Trouble starting when cold.. Let me know, thanks!

Visit 9!'clipseDOHC's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-27-2011, 11:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

If the car has been driven and fully warmed up when i shut it down couldnt i remove the connector on the coolant temp sensor and hook up a multimeter to it and see if its working i mean wouldnt the sensor still be hot when i turn the car off? What should i set my multimeter to when checking it 0hms?