Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Maintenance & Repairs
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Maintenance & Repairs: Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 09:48 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 8

Battery Drains and Car Dies While Driving

I've been having this problem for about 3 weeks now..... The car will just die on me while driving and the battery just drains to about 8 volts. I replaced the alternator but no luck, the problem still exists. Im not sure if it has anything to due with it, but my srs light came on a few days before it started happening, also the battery light wont come on when i start the car, all of the other lights do except for the that one. Anytime this happens, i have to jump start the car, but sometimes itll only drive for a couple of minutes. Im lost and the mechanic that was checking it is too. Thanks in advance for the help.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:15 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,322
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: DSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
How's the battery connections - clean and super tight? Ground wiring also super tight to the contact points on the chassis, block and where else?
View photos of this member's car 

Old 07-24-2010, 03:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 6,121
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 0
Finding a short, partial short, or battery drain

Old 07-24-2010, 08:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Photos: 1
check for battery drain with car off , if no drain check connector on alternator and make sure your getting signal (positive volts).

Old 07-24-2010, 08:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 206
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to dsm8883
Check with a volt meter and see what the alt is charging!!!!!!! just because u got a new or rebuilt alt does not mean it is good. A draw has nothing to do with a car that is running. the SRS light and others will come on due to low voltage. Check all your fuses u may have a blown fuse.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 407
Photos: 9
This happend to me and it was simple fix. My car came with a stock amp, and the guy unpluged the amp and left a live wire under the driver seat...awesome..after that she started up and held charge...needless to say he motor was out 2 days later

Old 07-26-2010, 03:59 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 650
Battery could be toast as well.

Maintence free doesn't usually mean reliable.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:09 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 641
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 6
Reputation: gsxtasy is pretty helpful and trustworthygsxtasy is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to gsxtasy
I'd check the alternator fuse in the fusebox first.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:37 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Probationary Member

i have checked the fuze box and no fuzes are blown, the battery doesnt seem to drain while the car is off and battery leads have been cleaned. I really have no clue what it could be.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:00 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Car: 2003 Lancer Evolution VIII GSR
Tech Posts: 1,776
Photos: 20
Reputation: GsXdSmKingGsX is extremely helpful and trustworthyGsXdSmKingGsX is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Your alternator is crap man. When I first bought my GS-T this happened to me. And if you run it too long like that lights start flickering and crap while your driving. It sucks. Just replace it.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:34 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: DSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
On this topic of alternator fuse: I went through this same problem on my daughter's 91 Eclipse-new alternator and battery and the battery was draining and no charge from the alternator.

Took the alternator in for a check where I bought it (no Autocrapzone place for me, but a well-known alternator repair shop here in my town..) and it checked out good...but he did mention to me on checking that ALT fuse.

Guess what, he was right. that 80A alternator fuse-even though it looked good, was wide open with one leg broken off way deep inside the fuse.

Went out to a yard and yanked a couple of these fuses from busted up DSM's.

NOW, here's the surprise: those fuses are NOT plugged in as with the rest-they are bolted down by two bolts on each side of that fuse. Two, 10mm bolts is what holds thus fuse down in that block mounted next to the passenger shock tower.

Put that new fuse in, put everything back together and the Mitsu was running like a top and charging very well with the ALT putting out 13.9vdc by my digital VOM.

Something to think about.

DSM

Old 08-01-2010, 01:46 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 292
Sounds like a diode is going out in the alternator...

Old 08-01-2010, 01:55 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 155
Send a message via AIM to zatomz
No I agree with the 80 amp alternator fuse. I have have it happen to me and your symptoms are exactly what mine were. Check that first I am 99.99 percent sure!

Old 08-02-2010, 11:19 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Thanks, I will definitely check that fixed. The alternator was already replaced with a new one. I'll post my results as soon as I do it.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Well I'm back to the drawing board. I tried replacing the alternator fuse and still no luck. I took the car to a technician and he couldn't find the problem either. He recommended replacing the ecm but I don't want to.buy one if mine is good. Anymore ideas? I'm about ready to give up

Old 08-03-2010, 03:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Tech Posts: 1,429
Is your alternator belt slipping? if it's slips it will act like a dying battery or a faulty alternator. also, measure what the output voltage is at the alternator when running. that will help us a lot.

2013: 12.7@110 on 16g

Old 08-03-2010, 03:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,265
Photos: 1
Reputation: Tanro is extremely helpful and trustworthyTanro is extremely helpful and trustworthy
It sounds like your alternator. Check your belt. Make sure it is not slipping. Check your alternator by doing an output test under load. A good shop or Oreillys can do this for you. It takes about 15 minutes.

Is yours doing the crap where it only does this when you run ac? I had mine doing that in the GST turns out the alternator was putting out just enough to charge the battery but if I turned on the ac it was actually putting out only enough to keep the battery from going dead.
Visit Tanro's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-03-2010, 03:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 3,774
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 25
Send a message via AIM to DGajre777 Send a message via Yahoo to DGajre777 Send a message via Skype™ to DGajre777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
Check your alternator by doing an output test under load. A good shop or Oreillys can do this for you. It takes about 15 minutes.
What ^^ said. When you asked someone for an alternator load test, a lot of retards at shops will usually hook up a voltmeter to the battery terminals while the car is running and say, "yup, alternator's workin man". This is not a load test.

Reading material here - Alternator Issues - Brake and battery light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger84 View Post
Thanks, I will definitely check that fixed. The alternator was already replaced with a new one. I'll post my results as soon as I do it.
Where did you get this new alternator from?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 6,121
Photos: 3
Here's a battery & alt load test you can do: Car died on freeway... Electrical problems?.

If you suspect the alt only an alt/starter repair shop (see yellow pages) can fully test it. Auto stores have worthless testers.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:09 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Both are excellent write-ups on self testing the charging/electrical systems..

....and that is what my DSM was doing before I did put a new ALT in .. battery and brake light would flash off and on on occasion.

Took it off, took it to a respectable ALT shop here in town (won't get caught showing my face at Autozone) and they told me that my ALT was signing its death warrant.

Got a rebuilt one from them and have been good since.

If you go out to yards to find busted up DSM's for that 80A fuse and have been all taken, look at other Mitsus, for some of them also used that 80A alternator fuse..

good luck-DSM