Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Maintenance & Repairs
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Maintenance & Repairs: Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 10:21 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 126
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 5
Question

Radiator Hose Popping Off

Hi. First time posting because I couldn't find a direct answer to this question.

In Brief: My upper radiator hose has completely popped off of the radiator inlet twice within the last week.

Details: My temperature gauge has been accurate. My temperatures have stayed pretty consistently in the mid range of the gauge. I have checked the hose and radiator for cracks and signs of wear. The only thing noticeable is that the inlet to the radiator is starting to corrode a little bit, but has plenty of contact area with the hose. The hose clamp was secure both times that it happened.

Question(s): Is this a sign of too much pressure in the system? Would it possibly be the thermostat getting stuck in a closed position?

Any help will be appreciated and I'm not afraid to try anything once.

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Banned Member

Car: Bicycle
Tech Posts: 2,196
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: ramsack is pretty helpful and trustworthyramsack is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to ramsack
the radiator cap should be keeping the pressure in the system in check. other than the cap not keeping pressure down, and letting it go high, the clamping of the hose would be the issue.
Visit ramsack's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 07-01-2010, 10:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GSXin View Post
The hose clamp was secure both times that it happened.
I made sure that it was tight before hand both times.

And the radiator cap seems to be in fine condition. How would I know if it was malfunctioning?

Old 07-01-2010, 10:46 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Banned Member

Reputation: ramsack is pretty helpful and trustworthyramsack is pretty helpful and trustworthy
take it to a shop and have it tested or get a tester kit.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:53 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Tech Posts: 1,585
Photos: 12
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 37
Sounds like old clamps to me

Visit black_gst's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 07-01-2010, 11:03 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

So ask them to pressure test my whole system? Or just the cap?

Would a blockage in the system somewhere cause these symptoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_gst View Post
Sounds like old clamps to me
When the hose was off and I had to put it back in place, the clamps were still tight. I had to loosen them before I could get the hose back on.

Last edited by 98GSXin; 07-01-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Banned Member

just the cap, and yes.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 574
Classifieds Rating: 16
check to make sure the neck on the radiator(where the hose goes on to) isnt cracked. My buddy just had this problem. It was just sliding off the cracked neck.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:21 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsack View Post
just the cap, and yes.
How could I identify if indeed there was a blockage in the system? There's no overheating, so I think it is flowing fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2288 View Post
check to make sure the neck on the radiator(where the hose goes on to) isnt cracked. My buddy just had this problem. It was just sliding off the cracked neck.
The neck is a little corroded at its very tip, but not cracked. The hose fits on it snugly and clamps down tight.

Last edited by 98GSXin; 07-01-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 07-01-2010, 01:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Banned Member

I would pressure test the system to see when this hose pops off. If it pops off at a pressure below what the cap is rated, then it's not clamping tight enough. If it pops off above what the cap is rated for, then the problem would be the cap.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 69
Sounds to me like the cap is not relieving pressure like it should.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 142
Photos: 13
Classifieds Rating: 1
if there was to much pressure then it would over heat. and he said its not overheating.

i think that the hump that goes around the radiator inlet has has broken off but it may still look like there is plenty of area for the hose to clamp on to but not stay on because lack of lip for hose to grasp on to. does that make sence?

take a pic of inlet and post it up.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 92 Stealth TT
Tech Posts: 195
blown headgasket blowing the hose off?

Old 07-01-2010, 07:19 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 5,877
Photos: 11
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 51
Send a message via AIM to Calan Send a message via Yahoo to Calan
What ramsack said ^^^.

Regardless of why your coolant system is being pressurized, if you are building enough pressure to blow off a hose, then it's either not clamping tightly enough, or the pressure relief system (the cap and overflow bottle) aren't working properly.

Fix whichever of those issues need to be fixed first, and then start looking to see if you are really building excessive coolant pressure because of other issues.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:01 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

I am going to replace the cap and thermostat this weekend and then flush the whole system. I haven't driven it since the second pop, so hopefully I haven't done any permanent damage. I will get pics up of the inlet pipe and the hose to get your guys' opinion on if they are too far gone. Thanks for the all the help so far.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:52 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

After following the advice given here, the problem is fixed. Under heavy driving conditions in a mini heat wave in the area, the system has held up fine. The cap and thermostat were replaced and the car is happy once again. Thanks to everyone for helping keep another dsm alive and well.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 12
Just a though for anyone that looks up this thread in a search:

I don't know what clamps our cars come with stock, but my experience has been that plastic clamps loose their holding power in about 40,000 - 50,000 miles and a lot less if you are removing and reinstalling them.

I would suggest just picking up a generic set up metal clamps from your local parts store. The kind you can tighten with a screw driver.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 929
Photos: 5
Send a message via AIM to 1gcrazy Send a message via MSN to 1gcrazy Send a message via Yahoo to 1gcrazy
Plastic clamps?

Old 07-08-2010, 02:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 12
I guess it's not as common as I thought?

My 2002 eclipse came with plastic clamps on every single hose on the car.

They look like the black clamp in the picture below, but plastic not titanium:

Old 07-08-2010, 07:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Banned Member

I know what you're talking about but the plastic "clamps" are not like in the picture. They are closer to zip ties.