Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Maintenance & Repairs
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Maintenance & Repairs: Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 162
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 2
2G-specific

Why does my alternator belt squeal so much on initial start up?

Hello all,
My question is, whenever my car sits overnight. The initial cranking in the morning causes the alternator belt to really squeal. I replaced the belt and adjusted the new belt's tension several times but it has no effect on the morning squeal! After about 30 second or so the squeal stops and its good for the rest of the day. Is this a sign the alternator is on its way out? Thanx for any replies...

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 12
I have the same problem and would like to know the answer as well...

Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 870
Classifieds Rating: 0
How much belt deflection is there when you tighten it?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:10 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 59
Classifieds Rating: 6
If the belt is good and adjusted properly, what condition are the pulleys in? Any rust on them?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:33 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 83
Photos: 25
Send a message via AIM to Aceman Send a message via Yahoo to Aceman
It might be your harmonic dampener(aka harmonic balancer, crank pulley damper, crankshaft damper, torsional damper, vibration damper). If that thing goes it can cause some major problems. Check this thread out:

I changed my harmonic dampener just in time *Pics & Video*

Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,019
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 4
Send a message via AIM to marcmsj Send a message via MSN to marcmsj Send a message via Yahoo to marcmsj
Have you tried another brand belt? Another old trick would be to lightly sand the pulley and rough them up a bit, this will give more grip between the pulley and belt.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:42 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 8
Classifieds Rating: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
It might be your harmonic dampener(aka harmonic balancer, crank pulley damper, crankshaft damper, torsional damper, vibration damper). If that thing goes it can cause some major problems. Check this thread out:

I changed my harmonic dampener just in time *Pics & Video*
Yup this is a very common problem, It is not the belt.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 293
Photos: 15
Classifieds Rating: 23
Cheap Aftermarket Belts, or a failing alternator were my cause of it.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Tech Posts: 1,585
Photos: 12
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 37
because its a dsm and thats just something you have to live with

Visit black_gst's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-14-2010, 11:18 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 145
Classifieds Rating: 25
Send a message via AIM to awdtalon21
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_gst View Post
Lol, my wife's galant does the same thing every morning.
Visit awdtalon21's homepage! 

Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,288
Photos: 46
Classifieds Rating: 38
Send a message via AIM to rEclipserGST Send a message via Yahoo to rEclipserGST
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_gst View Post
Nice, agreed. My belt makes a lot less noise AFTER my water pump was replaced. But it only squeals for 15 secs or so whenever it is fully cold. But after that, its good to go all day.

BUT before the water pump replacement, I can honestly say it was embarrassing when my baby would howl for a good 2 minutes.
Visit rEclipserGST's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-14-2010, 11:43 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 152
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 1
i have been having the same problem as well i replaced my alternator and it squeaks at every startup unless warm. at night it is the worst i turn it on sqeaks for 15sec very loud then when i turn on my headlights the sqeak does not go away till i turn them off then on again i dont know what could be the problem with mine

Old 05-14-2010, 12:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,300
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: DSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Tighten the belt up since the ALT is under load when motor has just started. Belts do stretch after time.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 173
Classifieds Rating: 1
Same thing happened to mine, even after a harmonic balancer install. In my case the alternator itself was loose causing the belt to ride slightly out of alignment. Tightened the alternator and tightened the belt banjo string tight, no more noises.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,300
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: DSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
Tightened the alternator and tightened the belt banjo string tight, no more noises
..but, not too "banjo string" tight, for that'll raise havoc with the ALT and WP bearings.

All you need is a 1/4" deflection when you push down on the belt itself with your finger inbetween two pulleys. Or, if you can twist the belt more than a quarter turn between two pulleys, it's too loose.

Good luck-DSM

Old 04-12-2013, 05:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 5
Photos: 1
yea mine squeaks when i start it up most of the time, also squeaks sometimes when i shift gears?

94 eclipse

Old 04-12-2013, 05:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 49
I have this problem too only with a cold start also. I have an unorthodox pulley and high compression motor. When i shift into second on a hard pull it squeals and i haven't been able to figure it out.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 81
Photos: 3
well i used the bar of soap trick on 2 cars(touch a bar of soap to where it rubs for a second or two). first car it made the belt quiet for as long as we owned the car. second car it made it quiet for about an hour then it started sqeeking again. Its kinda ghetto but sometimes it helps. I wonder if they have anything in the auto parts store that would work better then soap. maybe belt conditioner...

heres a youtube vid
but since the belts i did it to where easy to get to i did it with the car running... just a touch

Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 37
Mine started the squeaking on cold start due to oil getting on the pulley/belt when my dipstick shot out. Might want to clan the pulley and change the belt. Worked on my first DSM

Old 04-16-2013, 01:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,802
Photos: 53
Classifieds Rating: 24
Reputation: Dsmkauai is pretty helpful and trustworthyDsmkauai is pretty helpful and trustworthy
My 95 had a this problem for the longest time also. What I discovered atleast on my engine was. The bracket that holds the lower main bolt for the alternator got really egged out. To the point the alternator moved back and forth with the bolt in place. Even tight I can imagine this would cause stress and possibly throw the belt alignment off abit. Anyway what I did since this was my problem. I drilled out the hole for a bigger bolt, got a new oem belt and the squeak went away. Just another possibility it could be a number of issues and is a early warning sing for something else failing.