Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Maintenance & Repairs
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Maintenance & Repairs: Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 12:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 191
Photos: 59
Classifieds Rating: 8
2G-specific

timing belt change rough idle

I change my timing belt and now rough idle and engine vibration
What can be wrong here is the video
YouTube - Eclipse Gst 1997

the sound is ok is not from now

Last edited by Nikolay_Ruskov; 11-28-2009 at 03:44 PM.
View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 23
First thing i would do is check if it's in time again. It's possible a tooth might have skipped, which would definitely cause a rough idle.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

i checked and looks good to me.

Can this be from the crankshaft position sensor ? because i change my water pump and i didn't drain the coolant from the engine and when i remove the pump alot of coolant get over the sensor and other parts

Old 11-28-2009, 06:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 105
Classifieds Rating: 2
Your oil pump balance shaft is probably a rotation out causing the vibration.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 286
Classifieds Rating: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardc475 View Post
Your oil pump balance shaft is probably a rotation out causing the vibration.
+1^
If the oil pump sprocket is out of phase, it will cause vibration.

Taken from the VFAQ-

Remove the balance shaft plug on the rear side of the cylinder block and insert a Phillips screwdriver {shank diameter 8 mm (.32 in.)} through the hole. The balance shaft is in the correct position if the screwdriver can be inserted at least 60 mm (2.4 in.). If the inserted depth is less than this only 20-25 mm (.8-1.0 in.), the oil pump sprocket must be rotated one full turn and timing marks realigned. Recheck the balance shaft position using the screwdriver to ensure that it can be inserted 60 mm (2.4 in.) or more. Keep the screwdriver inserted until timing belt installation is complete (Figure 13).

NOTE that there is an easier way to do this. Simply rotate the mark on the oil pump sprocket until it is pointing straight up, and let it go. If the sprocket rotates towards (counterclockwise) the timing mark on the engine, the oil pump sprocket is aligned correctly. If it rotates away (clockwise) from the mark, spin the sprocket a full turn and test again, and it should properly rotate towards the mark now. Now line the mark on the sprocket back up with the mark on the engine. This avoids having to remove the rear access bolt entirely.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

oil pump sprocket is good i checked already.
If the crankshaft position sensor is not good the car will not start at all or may cause this?

Old 11-28-2009, 07:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 4,278
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 4
From the vibrations visible in the video it either has to be out of time or it the oil pump is out of phase.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 105
Classifieds Rating: 2
Just cause the marks are lined up on the oil pump does not mean it is in phase, give it a full rotation, put it vertical and let go, if it falls towards the timing mark then it is in phase, if it falls away from the timing mark it is out and needs to be spun.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

ok i will check again. but i open the balance shaft plug on the rear side of the cylinder block and insert a Phillips and it was good.
If the cams are line up together not in the middle but a little bit over the middle can this be the probllem like a 4mm

Old 11-28-2009, 09:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 13
When you change the timing belt, a good way to check the cam alignment is to lay a straight edge across the gears. Like a piece of paper or anything with a straight flat edge. All the marks should line up. The 2 on the outside, and the 2 on the inside. Cam alignment can cause rough idle and vibration.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 443
Classifieds Rating: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8ALL View Post
When you change the timing belt, a good way to check the cam alignment is to lay a straight edge across the gears. Like a piece of paper or anything with a straight flat edge. All the marks should line up. The 2 on the outside, and the 2 on the inside. Cam alignment can cause rough idle and vibration.
+1, when my exhaust cam was off, my motor vibrated like that too.

A bad crank sensor would cause misfire at idle, but it looks like timing is off.