The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

99 GSX is now mine. :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phunny

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 1, 2005
Pittsboro, Indiana
1999 Mint Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - 449hp!

So just though I'd give an update. I sent the deposit and will pick her up Sunday and deliver it to the shipping company from which I'll receive her a week later. I payed 11,500 for the car which books for 8,800 and hopefully it will pay off in the end. My though process was even is something failed and I had to fix anything I'd still be better off in the long run.

Plans for the car:

When I receive her she'll be going straight to the shop for;

compression test
coolant pressure test
boost leak test
check for shaft play
verify all gauges installed correctly
change ALL fluids (royal purple)
check brakes/rotors
i'll be going over the car with a fine toothed comb checking bolt torques and how all the lines were ran and attached.
claybar'd and waxed
detail engine
balance tires (they'l be off for cleaning so why not?)
might put on the 19'' rims from my last DSM

Future Plans;

replace carpet and headliner with black
pulling the lower part of interior and rear panels alone with center console to create fiberglass molds to create carbon fiber replacement parts. I'm debating on if I want to have it painted or try the plasti-coat. I'm really leaning towards trying it and testing its durability. Don't flame me for not keeping the carbon look, I really want her to look nice and clean.
there will be a carbon fiber hood and rear hatch along with lexan in the rear.

Any and all thoughts on my plans welcome. Even yours SpawndX :)

Ech. Still say it's a hell of a lot. Especially for a DSM you haven't even done a compression test on.

^ +1 i wish i had as much money as you to blow on this car.

Like at the end of the day you paid 11,500 for a car thats 11-12 years old. I would kill for 11,500 to blow on a daily or something.

but i mean its youre money and its a clean car, im sure it will be nice

Let's stay on topic please.

Plans for the car:

When I receive her she'll be going straight to the shop for;

compression test *remember forged pistons, the CR is likely different
coolant pressure test
boost leak test
check for shaft play
verify all gauges installed correctly
change ALL fluids (royal purple)
check brakes/rotors
i'll be going over the car with a fine toothed comb checking bolt torques and how all the lines were ran and attached. *I imagine the major stuff is fine, after all Jeff Bush was the owner who originally built it.
claybar'd and waxed
detail engine
balance tires (they'l be off for cleaning so why not?)
might put on the 19'' rims from my last DSM *I really liked those, I say put them on; even if they are a little blingy for a car that fast.

Future Plans;

replace carpet and headliner with black
pulling the lower part of interior and rear panels alone with center console to create fiberglass molds to create carbon fiber replacement parts. *I'd be interested in seeing pics of the process when you do this. I'm debating on if I want to have it painted or try the plasti-coat. I'm really leaning towards trying it and testing its durability. Don't flame me for not keeping the carbon look, I really want her to look nice and clean.
there will be a carbon fiber hood and rear hatch along with lexan in the rear. *That definitely sounds good.

Any and all thoughts on my plans welcome. Even yours SpawndX :)

http://dsmtimes.org/times.php?Page=1

The only thing I don't like about the car is that SSAC manifold and those adr wheels. The ad said it had Koseis, are you getting 2 sets of wheels?

Yeah it's a risk but I can live with it. Before I do anything I always ask my self this questions, "whats the worst that can happen and can I live with it." If I can answer yes, then I go for it.

As far as having the money to spend on a vehicle, you'll get there. Some people are born into money and the rest of us have to work our fingers to the bones. Unfortunately I had no choice and had to take the latter route :cry:. The other thread that really took off and became a arguing nightmare was just pointless. People always forget that money is really all relative to how much you have coming in.

I've said before that I find it crazy that friends of mine that make 40k/year spend 45k on a new truck... Yet I am spending 11k on a car which is 2 weeks pay and I'm a complete retard... Go figure :confused:

Now if this was going to be my DD I'd totally agree that I'm a moron, but my 98 Chevy Metro has that role :D

Congrads , glad to see someone one here picked that car up. That thing is CLEAN and VERY nicely done in my opinion. Hope you get some good results on the compression test

I noticed your from Waynesburg, you should hit up a Pittsburgh DSM meet sometime. I'd like to see this thing in person.

These would be the "other" rims. I have brand new tires still in wrapping for them :D

And yeah I don't plan on finding anything hacked/chopped. Maybe the occasional loose bolt just from engine vibration.

Attachments

• gsxsided.jpg
    gsxsided.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 79
Congrads , glad to see someone one here picked that car up. That thing is CLEAN and VERY nicely done in my opinion. Hope you get some good results on the compression test

I noticed your from Waynesburg, you should hit up a Pittsburgh DSM meet sometime. I'd like to see this thing in person.

I'd love to come down sometime. I actually messaged snailspeedclub and going to try and see what those guys are like.

I'd love to come down sometime. I actually messaged snailspeedclub and going to try and see what those guys are like.

I've met a few of them, dwdsm I think, at a Washington SCCA autox. Seems like they do some cool shit, it's just too far to hang out in Washington all the time.

Yet I am spending 11k on a car which is 2 weeks pay and I'm a complete retard...

And can I be your coworker?

I've met a few of them, dwdsm I think, at a Washington SCCA autox. Seems like they do some cool shit, it's just too far to hang out in Washington all the time.

And can I be your coworker?

I also met him at the flashlight drags in Waynesburg. Seemed like a cool guy and I know they get together once a month or so. They even do a garage night and rotate threw members. In all fairness the pay is between her and I. But we're always hiring, especially to prior military.

Soooooo glad you bought it! i think its a great deal to be honest. considering you know the cars history and such. F*** whateveryone else thinks, you have to drive it and you have to pay for it. :hellyeah:

To each his own but nice find, love the second set of wheels...Much props Phunny!!:thumb::hellyeah:

Soooooo glad you bought it! i think its a great deal to be honest. considering you know the cars history and such. F*** whateveryone else thinks, you have to drive it and you have to pay for it. :hellyeah:

Thanks man. She'll have a good home and continue on in her quest as the ultimate street machine :). I like to think the best of people so I'll say in their defense 2 things.

1. They are thinking that something major will fail, but if everything holds together and runs/looks as good as I hope it does, they'll say good find.

2. They have never truly put any real money into a car.

3. Some need an outlet so they get in the web to start crap with others that can't reach across and throw them through a wall. It's fine though, I'd much rather have them come here and run their jib than to go shooting up a school.

I also met him at the flashlight drags in Waynesburg.

I found out about these in time to make it to the last one last fall before they stopped for winter. I'm planning on being there on 5/15 unless work interferes. Mine won't be in any shape to make passes though. See you there?

1. They are thinking that something major will fail, but if everything holds together and runs/looks as good as I hope it does, they'll say good find.

Phunny doubters:banghead: are a dime a dozen, they always will be around. It was your money and your decision, you wanted it and you got it. No biggie... Now go to town on your new car man, I heard something about C.F. yesterday, get to work man:hellyeah:...

I found out about these in time to make it to the last one last fall before they stopped for winter. I'm planning on being there on 5/15 unless work interferes. Mine won't be in any shape to make passes though. See you there?

I heard they weren't doing it anymore for some insurance purposes, that was just hearsay and I hope they're wrong.

Yeah Shawn that's me :) LOL

Been lurking these threads for the last week or so without comment, since I first saw the car on the local PDX craigslist.

But now that the deals done and you are getting the car, I just want to congratulate you on the great buy. Screw all the haters on here, it looks like a very well taken care of car, and it sounds like it got into the right hands and will be well taken care of.

Sure is a long way to go get the car you want, but I guess they're getting older, and therefore rarer by the day, so it make sense in a way. Makes me appreciate finding my car in as good a shape as I did when I got it!

Last edited:
Been lurking these threads for the last week or so without comment, since I first saw the car on the local PDX craigslist.

But now that the deals done and you are getting the car, I just want to congratulate you on the great buy. Screw all the haters on here, it looks like a very well taken care of car, and it sounds like it got into the right hands and will be well taken care of.

Sure is a long way to go get the car you want, but I guess their getting older, and therefore rarer by the day, so it make sense. Make me appreciate finding my car in as good a shape as I did when I got it!

Yeah, clean 99 GSX's are so hard to find and all the ones I've found were at or above bluebook with twice the miles. The location actually worked out, we're going to a wedding less than three hours from there and she was just asking what I wanted to do Sunday since we have a late flight back. It's almost like divine intervention :)

All i got to say is CONGRATS ! , if i had your salary id by that in a heartbeat LOL, so good find !

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back