The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Evo VIII Cams in DSM? [Merged 5-9] 8 cam

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidxrain

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 20, 2002
Pompton_Plains_NJ
My friend is upgrading the cams on his evo VIII so he'll be getting rid of the stockers. Would the stock evo cams be a good upgrade for my car (97 gsx)?

^^ correct.

Sorry but you can not. The timing sensor on the EVO VIII is on the exhaust cam, the motor turns the opposite direction, and the angle from the dowel to the #1 lobe looks to have been changed.

Chris

Evo 4 thru current cars have the engine reversed in direction, meaning that the cam gears are on the wrong side of the engine.

Evo 1-3 cams would have a much better chance of working.

If you want cheap cam upgrade, get 90-91 turbo tsi 5spd cams. I think they are better than the 2g cams and can be had for cheap

I read some where that the Evo cams are upgrades to 1g stock cams-is this true? f so I can get a set really cheap. Even if its only like 5-10hp, its worth it. Or is it just a total waste of time?
Sorry, I tried a search, but came back empty handed.

Thanks-Jeremiah

There have been quite a few threads on this, surprising you didn't turn up with anything - but suffice to say, the Evo VIII cams will not work with our cars because the EVO 4G63T engine is rotated 180* compared to ours. It sucks, I know.

HokieDSM said:
but suffice to say, the Evo VIII cams will not work with our cars because the EVO 4G63T engine is rotated 180* compared to ours.

That doesn't hold true. Do you know which direction the engine turns? Just becuase it's mounted 180 to the 1g-2g doesn't mean anything. The engine still turns clockwise.

A more educated guess may be that the cam journals are resized. or that the cylinder head length is slightly different due to a revised valve cover, which could equate to optimized cam length. Etc.

I'm not saying it'll work, but if doesn't, it's not because it's 180 off.

Hey I was just drawing the conclusion that every other thread on the subject had come to - don't shoot the messenger ;) I had merely meant to say that the two engines camshafts aren't compatible - the rotation being one example of the differences.

Actually they fit just fine. Morphius is right on his philosophy. We share the same motor as a evo 4g63 except for a few minor differences. The engines still work the same way but the evo motor is reverse. The evo cams will bolt right up and i will be getting them in soon b/c they are free.

HokieDSM said:
There have been quite a few threads on this, surprising you didn't turn up with anything - but suffice to say, the Evo VIII cams will not work with our cars because the EVO 4G63T engine is rotated 180* compared to ours. It sucks, I know.

Well, as I said, every other thread on the subject has said that they won't fit - but if you're gonna put them in, then make sure you post your experiences! I've not read a case of them working successfully, but if they did, it'd be pretty interesting.

Please keep us informed!:thumb:

i plan on making a tech article of it but according to my buddy who has worked on countless evo's and dsm's he said with minoir modification that will swap just fine.....

98RedGs said:
What good (gains) do you get out of using those evo camshafts?

To anyone that has done this "install" or "swap" please explain.

I have no idea what the cam specs, so I can't speak to HP gains. However, they are hollow, so you've got less rotating mass which means less valvetrain loss. How much? Someone that's done it, needs to post some dyno numbers.

Morphius said:
However, they are hollow, so you've got less rotating mass which means less valvetrain loss.

And, as a bonus - less stress on the t-belt. ;)

I'd definitely be interested in getting some rock solid data on this. Not everyone can afford $600 for a set of shafts. :(

the only reason i wanted to get them was because they were hollow and you can't go wrong with lighter. Plus my buddy is putting HKS cams in an evo 8 and then he is going to proceed to put them in my talon so we'll see.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back