The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

The worst thing I've ever done. I might go to jail.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW4G63

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 11, 2002
TommyPantsdownville, Ohio
First off, we've all done dumb things in life, we've made bad choices and we all have regrets. I need serious advise for this. Please don't bash, as it could have happen to any of us.

So last night which was New Years Eve, I had a lot to drink. I was at a friends house and he was having a rockin party. I know I did at least 10 shots plus tons of keg beers and jello shooters. Every year I do some kind of prank at his party. This year I didn't plan anything but figured I'd come up with something. Well, I was nearly blacked out drunk at this point so around 1am I go out to the garage to smoke a cig and I see a roll of duct tape. I had this idea to duct tape over my buddies tail lights. He was the DD so I figured he'd get pulled over by a cop on the way home since there's a DUI check point at the main intersection right by this dudes house.

I go out to his car and I put duct tape over his tail lights and third brake light. Well I guess on his way home he hit the check point like planned and as he approached it a guy behind him slammed into the rear of his car pretty hard and sent one of my friends passengers to the hospital with a head injury. His car was basically totaled and the guy that slammed into him ended up spinning off his car into pay phone and hurt one of his passengers pretty badly.

I got a phone call around 5am that they were in a wreck and my buddy came and picked me up. We went up to the hospital and a cop was there waiting for me. They kind of set me up but I guess I deserved it. Long story short the cop took me down to the police station and had me write a statement/confession and was talking about trying to charge me for some serious charges. This is scary stuff, I've been to jail but just county. Never the pen or anything. I ended up at the station for nearly 9 hours, it was terrible.

Anyone have any advise? I'm horrified of what might happen, my girl won't talk to me and I can't even imagine not seeing my kid grow up. I mean, it was a joke played by myself while under the influence. It's not like I tried to have anyone killed but the cop seems to think I had intentions of people dying. What a bad way to start the new year.

Several things . Brake lights are for the people behind you to see you stopping. It's a safety issue in every state of the union. Nuff said there. Second. Hire a good lawyer. If you get out of this, think next time you try to prank someone. What if he had a kid in the car and it was permanently injured. Anyway, think next time before you act. It could save someones life.

Good Luck

Damn man... I dont know, really I dont understand how they can do anything for you since you were in someones garage or yard. I mean, its shitty but how is it your fault he didnt notice or something? It sucks, but you shouldnt get into trouble IMO. Funny though, I mean its a good prank. People need to pay attention when driving. I really cant stand other people while driving. I wish I had a button to blow up peoples cars when they dont use common courtesy while driving or pay attention.

Yeah, I didn't think. I was drunk. It could have happen to any of us.

I've got to admit, what you did was pretty dumb in hindsight. Nobody ever expected that to happen, nobody can blame you for that. On a side note, I feel the driver of the car is responsible. I'll be honest I don't inspect all my lights and anything else before I head out, I rarely check them ever. Thats beside the point,just because nobody does it,doesn't mean we don't have to.
I feel if your driving a car you are confidently saying that the car, and yourself are perfectly able and legal to be on the road.
These are just my opinions, I don't expect to have to put my flame suit on.

Yeah, I didn't think. I was drunk. It could have happen to any of us.

Negative, it couldn't happen to any of us. I'm not sure what you thought would happen when you taped over someone's brake lights, but if you had even A thought in your head, you should have known that taping over someone's brake lights would not turn out to be funny at all, and that no good could come of it. At even best case scenario, your friend, who had hopefully not been drinking, would get pulled over and hassled.

You will be lucky if all that happens to you, is you are sued.

You need to own up, tell them you were under the influence when you did it, beg for mercy and hope for the best. I doubt you'll go to jail unless someone dies but you'll have a few charges to deal with and a nice fat fine to pay off. Probably a few years of probation too.

I don't really see the humor in having to deal with LEO's, even in a prank capacity. Forcing someone else to do so without them knowing why is not cool, even if he was sober. I know you were drunk but even when I'm hammered (damned near every day) I'm not doing things like that, so it is somewhat of a poor excuse.

As stated before, you should probably stop drinking. This is not meant as a flame since this is a serious matter, but I hope you learn a few lessons from this situation.

Advice: Find a good lawyer and hope to God that the other people involved are alright. At the very least you are going to be owing people money.

wow. first, you need to seek the advice of a lawyer or 3. You need to start saving up LOTS of money because this is going to cost you big. You need to take as active as a role in helping the victims as you can.. These people saying you are not responsible are people who I wish I was never around ever. You are responsible, and you know that - or you would not have made this post. You need to actively take action to ensure this gets resolved.

Bottom line: Get a lawyer. Tell the lawyer the whole truth - don't sugarcoat anything.

you should be fine. its the idiot behind that rear ended him, brake lights are only precautionary for idiot drivers, something bright so they can get the idiot drivers attention when they arent paying attention to the car in front of them. no matter what, its still his fault for rear ending him, especially seeing it was a ####ING DUI CHECKPOINT! did the large DUI CHECKPOINT signs not ring a bell that he could possibly be stopping soon ahead, how freaking fast was said vehicle going to do that kind of damage? its simple, driver behind wasnt paying attention, and doesnt want to take the blame for being a idiot. i could see someone bringing up questionable weather conditions, but if the weather was that bad, id imagine the driver that rear ended would be even more at fault for driving those speeds if he cannot see a checkpoint in front of him, he still has ####ing headlights!

its no different if say, his brake lights were just completely out, something that 95% of the population doesnt know about until someone tells them.

dont get scared by the big legal system, main thing to remember is you and your buddy are still the innocent party, no matter what the rear-ender is always at fault

good luck :thumb:

yeah but at this was no silly "o0ps" fender-bender. People were seriously injured and I'm sorry but. a car at night with no tail lights anyone could hit. I wish you the best of luck, If I remember I will ask my father tonight (he's a lawyer), what the consequences can be and some advice.

most people in ohio dont have properly functioning tail lights anyways.

so you should beat this with no problem!

Even if the lights were all burnt out, taping over them hides even the reflector so it really would be hard to detect if dark enough out and your mind is wandering the slightest bit. I would definatly advise a good lawer, the best low interest loan you can get for any and all fines and lawsuits/civil suits, and give up drinking(not a attack as everyone else stated), it doesn't seem like it helped you at all. On the note of people doeing a walk around of there cars, the only reason I even do it is to make sure my deranged neighbor didn't do anything strange to my car(which happens often, but is normally funny), so I couldn't tell you what lights work or are out on a regular basis unles a turn signal burns out. Everyone is guilty of that at some point or another(which still doesn't make it good)

Well, I told the police the 100% truth on the statement. I'm not a liar.

I talked to the friend in the hospital and visited the person in the other car. That person is in real bad shape. She's in ICU but should be stepped down tomorrow according to her parents. I explained to them what happened and they stopped talking to me once I told them. They were really assholes about the whole thing.

The friend that was in my friends car is doing ok. He has a broken collar bone and a banged up head but nothing too serious. He wasn't happy to see me but I still had to go hang out with him.

I'm thinking of taking some revenge on the "friend" that told them that I did it. It's really shitty that someone would throw me under the bus like that. I mean, no one needed to know who did it. He came and picked me up and brought me there. He told the police and brought me to them for the most part. :notgood:

It was just a lapse of judgement. O well. I need to unwind and relax. I'm going out to the bar today has been hell.

I would definatly advise a good lawer, the best low interest loan you can get for any and all fines and lawsuits/civil suits,

I'll just file for bankrupcy. I'm nearing that state anyways. No need in shelling out hard earned cash for nothing.

well i say what everyone else says. get a good lawyer and stop drinking. also going to the bar tonight would not be a good idea. if you get in anymore trouble you will be pretty much screwed over as to having any luck really in this issue of the taping the brake lights. stay out of trouble and save a sh*t load of money.

just my 2 cents

For everyone that says it was the other drivers fault. You guys are insane.

People know when to stop based on the sight of the taillights. Of course you should be keeping and checking your distance, but if the brake lights don't light up, it doesn't appear as if they are slowing down which is misleading and very dangerous.

I feel no pity. This is why I don't drink.

For everyone that says it was the other drivers fault. You guys are insane.
agreed, dude you could have killed someone....for those of you who think thats he should be left out and not prosecuted or anything and blame it all on the driver that rear ended him, i ask you to do something...put yourself in the their shoes, how would you feel if your friend blacked out your lights and almost caused the loss of life, would you not be upset/pissed??...or think of it this way, how would you feel if you were the driver that rear ended him, it was late at nite and and last second you saw a stopped car, even if you going 30mph your not going to stop within 20ft...

just my .02

but like i said...you could have killed someone...then how would you feel?....

Even if the lights were all burnt out, taping over them hides even the reflector so it really would be hard to detect if dark enough out and your mind is wandering the slightest bit. I would definatly advise a good lawer, the best low interest loan you can get for any and all fines and lawsuits/civil suits, and give up drinking(not a attack as everyone else stated), it doesn't seem like it helped you at all. On the note of people doeing a walk around of there cars, the only reason I even do it is to make sure my deranged neighbor didn't do anything strange to my car(which happens often, but is normally funny), so I couldn't tell you what lights work or are out on a regular basis unles a turn signal burns out. Everyone is guilty of that at some point or another(which still doesn't make it good)

well a;lot of ohio drivers dont take care of their cars so i think he can get away with this
the state doesnt care either as they dont pull people over for it

You should have taped his headlights instead. I'd be pissed if anyone touched my car at all though.

I'm thinking of taking some revenge on the "friend" that told them that I did it. It's really shitty that someone would throw me under the bus like that. I mean, no one needed to know who did it. He came and picked me up and brought me there. He told the police and brought me to them for the most part. :notgood:

Yeah, F that guy for not lying to the cops to cover your retarded decisions. What a douche. How dare he cooperate with law enforcement officers and tell them who the idiot was behind this accident that could've cost the lives of multiple people.

What if that driver had swerved at the last minute and killed one of the officers who were standing at the side of the road? Would that still make it ok?

Seriously, die in a fire, or at least get a vasectomy so we don't have to deal with your genetics polluting the gene pool. Call me harsh, but this lack of common sense is what's proving to be the downfall of society. :nono::mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back