The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need opinions on replacing 1g front wheel bearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91Bomb

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2003
US, New_Jersey
A shop just confirmed that my front driver side wheel bearing is bad. I'm on a severe budget and not sure whether to remove steering knuckle myself and go have a shop press in a new bearing -or- buy a cheap used knuckle. Also very uncertain whether I'm up to removing + installing the knuckle with all the stuff that needs to be taken apart. Any thoughts?

I just recently did the same thing on my fwd. I just ordered the bearings and seals from rock auto and took them to my local machine shop. It was cheap about 30 a bearing and a couple bucks more for the seal. The dude at the machine shop pressed the old one out and pressed in the new one for 10 bucks.

It's pretty easy and worth the peace of mind knowing it won't need replaced again for a while!

How hard to get steering knuckle out without any special tools? And then getting it all back together again??

Can a shop replace bearing without taking steering knuckle off car?

Going to order some bearings from rock auto or autozone. Are there inner + outer ones? Any other parts needed?

Can a shop replace bearing without taking steering knuckle off car?

Going to order some bearings from rock auto or autozone. Are there inner + outer ones? Any other parts needed?

No, it has to be taken off and put in a press. It is very simple to remove the knuckle. Remove the axle nut, unattach the lower ball joint, tie rod, break caliper and bracket, abs sensor if you have abs and remove the knuckle from the strut.

Thanks! Going to order wheel bearing + seal from rock auto.

Btw, what else should I look at while under there? Replaced control arm bushings + ball joint last year and brakes are good but car is over 20 years old..

I'm Seeing 'Front inner bearing' for fwd on autozone and rock auto sites. Is there an outer bearing too because they don't show any but do have choice of inner or outer wheel seals. All I know is the front wheel bearing is grinding/making noise and a shop confirmed that but not sure what all to order now.

Last edited:
There are 2 bearings, both sealed and a seal, ironically. You will need both bearings and the seal.

Since you have a new ball joint, I'll suggest removing the the knuckle with the control arm rather than splitting the ball joint as it risks damage to said balljoint. Hopefully the press owner/operators can work with the arm attached. I did mine in that fashion so it is possible.

How a parts supplier lists the bearings is a mystery, regarding inner and outer, they are the same bearing, just 2 of them in a "pair". The listing is probably for the pair if I had to guess.

I have not looked at the listings to confirm.

Ok thanks!

I tried doing this job but the axle nut is completely rust welded in place and since I don't have a torch or impact wrench I'm going to take car to dsm shop and have them do it. Hopefully they can avoid damage to the ball joint.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back