The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Stock springs with Koni's lower perch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truwarrior

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2002
So I got new Koni Yellow's to replace my current rear pair of Yellow's. I have always had camber issues even with camber kits due to rust, stock bolts, etc so I would like to raise the car a little more. I was wondering if I use stock springs instead of my RSR's is I could get a little higher ride? Or should I just try to raise the perch and use the RSR springs again? Anyone know how to move the perch up? Seems pretty secure.

Stock springs should raise you up a bit. Do you know the specs of the RSRs? Stock is like 173 lb/inch with a length of 11".

Stock springs should raise you up a bit. Do you know the specs of the RSRs? Stock is like 173 lb/inch with a length of 11".

179. Car is acting up again, hope to install this weekend. Seems like when it gets below freezing the shocks bottom out. Almost like the springs sag when it's cold...? I think I'll reuse the rsr spring but install them on the higher perch. When spring/summer comes, I'll bumps the front up to the top perch too. One thing I noticed is that even on the new shock, the same amount of adjustment does not provide the same about of damping. I adjusted them so that when pressed down, they both return at the same time.

Just read that poly bushings in the rear of a 2g can cause binding. Probably what happened to me. I may replace with some bushings from autozone...

Which bushings? The shock tower ones? There shouldn't be much movement except for vertical movement in the rear unlike the front.

Just got the driver side rear off. Complete failure. I do see some possible binding on the rod. I'll post pics later. I'm trying to find out if I need a cup since it looks like he person who install them didn't reuse it... it went from top down, nut, nut, washing thing, poly bushing, bushing sleeve, lower poly bushing, washer, bump stop.

Just finished the repair. Went with new rubber bushings instead of the poly. Kept the RSR springs but raise the perch to the highest one. Old driver strut was completely shot and the passenger strut seemed a little off too. Anyone know how long it should take the strut to rebound once pressed all the way down? It was taking about 15 seconds on the softest setting...

This is exactly what I was looking for before creating a new thread. I had my Koni/Eibachs installed, and noticed that the rear driverside is definitely lower than the rest of the car. When looking at the strut, the spring sits lower on the shock, than the other three, and I was just beginning to wonder if they had 2 different perches and according to this thread they do? If they do, does having the spring installed on the lower perch decreases the amount of spring travel that much to affect the ride?

I was just beginning to wonder if they had 2 different perches and according to this thread they do?

There is only one part number/application for the rear 2G Koni struts. The only difference between the AWD and FWD rears is that the AWD spring perch is a few millimeters higher than the FWD spring perch.

Gotcha. I think I phrased my question incorrectly. I am trying to figure out if on the shock itself, are there 2 different perches that the spring can sit on for the FWD Koni yellows?

I'm positive there is though on the AWD parts. ( I actually thought that fwd and AWD were the same for this application) but I have seen it in person. Koni yellows can have 2 perches. One in OE location and one ~1 inch lower.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back