The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

alternator good but doesnt charge battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt98eclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2006
mesa, Arizona
Hey guys im having a issue with my battery keeps draining. So i took my brand new battery and alternator down to autozone and they tested both and they both turn out to be good. I had them test the alternator 4 times LOL and all 3 little test on the mechine passed all 4 times.

So now my question is were do i begin checking all the wiring in the car LOL.??

I would check the belt, wires on the alt and the relay

make sure the alt. fuse is good still. it is possible you have something drawing your battery down when its not running. if the fuse is good, take a test light, disconnect the positive battery cable and put the test light from the battery positive to the positive cable. if it lights up you have a draw.

Just did your test and theres no draw. Im really leading toward the 4 pin connector that goes to the alternator. Witch wires or wire would cause the alternator to not charge the battery??

I hooked up a test light. With the key on the acc postition the test light only comes on with the bigger red wire from the 4 wires coming off the connector.

Please help guys i need this car up and running asap...

Im not sure were the 4 wires from the connector go to to even trace them down.

Sorry to bump guys but nobody knows?? I really need to get the car running.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back