The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Lights dim when press brake

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98mitsubishigst

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So i noticed today that if im sitting at idle somewhere, if i turn my heater on to number two and have my lights on; my rpms will drop by like a 150.

Also when i press the brake down, my headlights will dim along with my dash lights.

It doesn't dim them alot but it doesnt enough to notice..

The Alt is new, all new fuses, no system ether and nothing running straight off the battery... Do you think it could be my terminals of the battery?

Could be; or could be a bad ground. I had a similar problem except that the lights would dim an the coolant gauge would peg hot when stepping on the brake. Ended up running a new ground inside the car and that took care of it.

i had the same problem but my radio would turn off if i had too much stuff on. last place i checked was the terminals .. i could move the negative with my hand

Bad ground some where. Or the break boosters use a lot of vacuum I notice. When I push on my breaks my idle swoops up and down. But its just trying to suck in a lot of vacuum. Maybe look in too getting a aftermarket break booster.

check alt and battery wires to c if they are loose. also when idleling turn on your dome light if its flickering your alt is bad.

No dome light, sunroof.

i had the same problem but my radio would turn off if i had too much stuff on. last place i checked was the terminals .. i could move the negative with my hand

i can move my battery negative with just my hands.. i remember i forgot to tighten them last time i replaced battery when she died..

think that could do it? i mean im gonna fix it tomorrow but since im on here ill just ask haha

i partially agree on a bad ground, but if you find out thats not the problem then maybe you might have a bad "new" alternator or a worn alt. belt or both. causing it not to crank enough amps to power all of the above. test it!

Could be a bad "new" alt like ^^^ said. Also loose terminals will definitely do it. Get them tightened.

You'll always notice some dimming of the lights. Our factory alternators are really weak, 65 amp units (Canadian market: 75 amp). By the time you add up all the power consumption going on while your car is running, the sudden draw from brake lights and the drop in rpm usually associated with slowing down is enough to make the lights dim a bit. This can be more pronounced if you run an underdrive pulley.

To minimize the affects, check your grounds and make sure you battery terminals are clean and the cables are on tight. Some people see some reduction in the dim by going to a better battery. It also helps to get an upgraded rewound alternator that puts out more amps. I saw a nice improvement by running a 140 amp unit. Our ground cables are now 12 years old at the youngest. I also saw some improvement by making new ground cables for all the existing ones. You may also want to check your cable coming off the alternator itself. It's actually two 8ga wires run in parallel. I replaced that too when I installed the higher output alternator.

I would definatly check into putn a bigger alt on it

You'll always notice some dimming of the lights. Our factory alternators are really weak, 65 amp units (Canadian market: 75 amp). By the time you add up all the power consumption going on while your car is running, the sudden draw from brake lights and the drop in rpm usually associated with slowing down is enough to make the lights dim a bit. This can be more pronounced if you run an underdrive pulley.

To minimize the affects, check your grounds and make sure you battery terminals are clean and the cables are on tight. Some people see some reduction in the dim by going to a better battery. It also helps to get an upgraded rewound alternator that puts out more amps. I saw a nice improvement by running a 140 amp unit. Our ground cables are now 12 years old at the youngest. I also saw some improvement by making new ground cables for all the existing ones. You may also want to check your cable coming off the alternator itself. It's actually two 8ga wires run in parallel. I replaced that too when I installed the higher output alternator.

This post sums it up perfectly. In a lot of cars you'll see some dimming of the headlights or interior lights when you are drawing a lot of power and do something else like push in the brake pedal or hit the window button. As long as it's not excessive and very noticeable, I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise do what is mentioned in knochgoon24's post.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back