The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink Ecmlink tuning and other issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakkat

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 29, 2012
desplaines, Illinois
Hey guys I'm having some problems with my 90 Dsm
Mods and maintainence are as follows

Injen 2g intake and 2g maf
2g exhaust manifold
Evo pink top 550cc injectors
Fuel lab afpr
STM tank to rail kit
STM return line
Walbro 255
New injector seals
Fresh oil change
New oil drain seal
New dipstick
New dipstick guide
New vc gasket (still seeping)
Ecmlink v3
Vrsf intercooler
Tial q bov
New NGk plugs gapped at . 28
Mishimoto radiator
Fal slim fan
Innovate mtxl
Prosport premium boost gauge
Stock 14b turbo

Extensive list. Anyway here are the issues I'm having. After installing my tial I'm having wide swings of my wideband, I can't tune the car, it wants to stall when coming to a stop.

I've noticed my wideband hovering around 10.5-11 at idle and sometimes as lean as 18. Before shutting it off it almost sounded as if the engine was pinging. Any ideas? Is this just normal tial q operation when not on speed density?

oh I saw ecmlink, did you have a log

post a log and also the forums on the ecmtuning site is good place too, do a boost leak test and check your vacuum lines I had a issue bov line was bad.

Did you do a boost leak test? Sounds like the bov is bleeding air.... which is throwing off your MAS and causing you to stay in open loop.

Check your MAF, what's the Hz? should be around 40Hz at idle. Airflow/rev around .25 - .27

No unfortunately I do not I'll have to grab one later when I'm home. But as far as tuning goes before installing the tial q, new injector seals and new dipstick i had it idling at 14.7 with an 10.8 at wot and it was pulling nicely but now the afr is all over the place. I'm not sure if it's worth noting but I did have a few boost leaks but it held up to 13 psi fine.

Well here is the weird part, after starting the car before driving if I idle tune it I can get it to .25 and within .8 combinedft and 14.7 at idle but as soon as I go for a drive it shoots up to around .45 airflow per rev.

Fix the boost leaks first before doing any tuning. You'll be chasing your tail otherwise.

I will post a log first thing when I get home, anything in particular you guys what? Cruise? What logged values?

Also I've watched all the videos they posted and I feel I have a good grasp of how this works. I've tuned a few mazdaspeed3s on the access port but I've never ran into something as perplexing as this.

Ok as for the things to check before here's what I have done

Boost leak tested to 13psi
Verified mechanical and ignition timing
Compression tested at 150-150-155-155
Checked sensors and wiring
Fuel pressure at 37psi with vacuum line disconnected.
No vented catch cans or anything like that.

Do you guys think that is sufficiently good to continue or should I go back and resolve the boost leaks completely first

Ok as for the things to check before here's what I have done

Boost leak tested to 13psi
Verified mechanical and ignition timing
Compression tested at 150-150-155-155
Checked sensors and wiring
Fuel pressure at 37psi with vacuum line disconnected.
No vented catch cans or anything like that.

Do you guys think that is sufficiently good to continue or should I go back and resolve the boost leaks completely first

boost leak should be more like 20psi or more, how much boost are you running?
Fix the leaks dude... No way around that unless you want your engine to die.

I'm running 15psi but I'm not trying to wot tune at this time just get idle and cruise dialed in

I'm waiting till the boost leaks are good and no oil leaks to wot tune

Well I guess she shall sit till next week then. I'll post up a log when all the boost leaks are fixed

Well I guess she shall sit till next week then. I'll post up a log when all the boost leaks are fixed

You will learn A LIFETIME OF KNOWLEDGE from these cars, and soon enough if you stick with it and have enough time in your life you will become VERY informed.

Just report back if there's any more problems after, its good to get an outside view on things sometimes we totally look over stuff and need a 2nd or 5th opinion.. :thumb:

I'm already getting a lifetime of knowledge from bmws LOL I work at a dealership.these cars are cake to work on comparatively. So I ordered a speed density kit, I'm gonna go that route sooner than expected. Throttle shaft seals, and going through tial to replace my leaking brand new q bov -_- should be done next week and I'll post up a log.

is the Q recirc'd? would explain why your trying to stall coming to a stop. 2g maf + vented bov = stall

Nah it's a vta valve , with my vrsf piping and the 2g maf/intake there was no way to run a recirc valve, my previously crushed 1g valve didn't act nearly this badly when vented. I got the q instead of the qr because I had eventually planned to run speed density, just these issues pushed it to sooner than I thought to do the conversion

Last edited:
ok so I fixed all the leaks I could get to easily. still waiting on tb shaft seals. also converted to speed density. it seems im still running a little rich in between shifts. otherwise it seems to be driving good to me. I had the dipstick blast out toward the end of my drive, but I believe this to be related to the intake vacuum line for the pcv system. I need to drill and tap a fitting into the fp intake I just got. anyway enough rambling. heres a cruise log.

Attachments

• log.2014.04.16-02.elg
    430.6 KB · Views: 49
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back