The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Evo16g on race gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95talongirl

Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2008
On a Jet Plane, Illinois
Well, decided to keep the 16g on the car for another season and see what it can do on race gas. Took the car up to Boostin Performance today for a speed density/110 tune. Car ended up making 343HP/327TQ! :D I was really surprised by this, as the Mustang dynos are known for breaking a few hearts. ;) Needless to say magical things can happen on 110. Car runs wonderful on the street, too. I'm excited now to get it back on the track and see what kind of times it will pull!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

sweet ride can not wait to get mine on the track next year just of pulled this 90 eagle tsi out of s a field after 6 years of sitting the supension is shot and working all the issues out of the engine before cleaning it up and geting ready for some racing i followed your build very nice and clean. can not wait for some times

Thanks! Hope your project goes smooth for you!

The last run was at 28psi. That's about the max for the turbo, I believe, as it made the same power at 30psi. So backed it down to 28.

Not this tune; just had it done today! Hope to soon!

I'm not a good driver. Last year on 93oct and 20psi, car went low 13's.. but was trapping 110mph. I need to practice more.

Thank you!

Anf for those who like the Dynojets.. The conversion factor is ~15% more on those. So 343 X.15 = 51.45. So on a Dynojet, this would have been around 394HP. :)

video:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKPG05slvt8]TrboBlu - Mustang Dyno - Tuning - YouTube[/ame]

Thank you!

Anf for those who like the Dynojets.. The conversion factor is ~15% more on those. So 343 X.15 = 51.45. So on a Dynojet, this would have been around 394HP. :)

This is not always true. I saw the opposite. You need to go on the Dynojet to know for sure. Setup right, they should all read the same.

Nice numbers. I love your car. I read most of your build thread the other day. Good luck at the track. What happened to the black wheels??

This is not always true. I saw the opposite. You need to go on the Dynojet to know for sure. Setup right, they should all read the same.
Sure, you can make a dyno read whatever you want it to read, technically. Change in inputs like weight, and it'll be different. There's also variables in air temperature, humidity, ect that effects things. Typically, though.. the Mustangs do read 12-15% lower and here is why:

"DynoJets are inertia dynos, and have been around for years, much longer than any type of load cell dyno. Inertia dyno's work on the principle of the acceleration of a known mass over time. Their rollers are the known mass. Weighing in at over 2500lbs or so. Your car gets strapped down to the machine, and the dyno collects it's data. It is able to calculate horsepower by measuring the acceleration in rpm of the rollers in regards to RPM. This is why gearing can affect the dyno results, more on that in a bit. Now that the dyno has recorded the horsepower curve, it can take the integral of that curve and get the torque curve. Since the dyno’s power calculations are based on the acceleration of mass over time in regards to RPM, gearing is very important. Since a vehicle with a lower gear ratio can accelerate the mass to a higher speed using less engine RPM, it will show a higher horsepower number than a car with a higher gear ratio. If a car is able to accelerate the dyno’s rollers from 200rpm (roller) to 300rpm (roller)in 1500rpm (engine), then the dyno is going to record more power than a car that did that in 2000rpm (engine).

Now we go to Mustang dyno’s and other loaded dyno’s. Our Mustang MD-1100SE dyno’s rollers weigh 2560lbs. That is the actual mass of the rollers, much like the DynoJet. That’s about where all the similarities end. When we get a car on our dyno, we enter two constants for the dyno’s algorithms. One being the vehicle weight, the other being what’s called “Horsepower At 50mph”. This is a number that represents how much horsepower it takes for the vehicle to push the air to maintain 50mph. This is used as the aerodynamic force. Mustang dyno’s are also equipped with a eddy currant load cell. Think of a magnetic brake from a freight train. This magnetic brake can apply enough resistance to stall a big rig. Off one side of the eddy currant load cell, there is a cantilever with a 5volt reference load sensor (strain gage). As the rollers are spinning this load sensor is measuring the actual torque being applied. So as the rollers spin, the load sensor is measuring the force being applied, sending that information to the dyno computer, taking into account the two constants entered earlier, computing the amount of resistance needed to be applied to the rollers to load the car so that the force of the rollers resistance is as close to the force the car sees on the street. The dyno is then able to calculate the total force being applied to the rollers in torque, and then taking the derivative of that torque curve to arrive at the horsepower curve. Since torque is an actual force of nature, like gravity and electricity, it can be directly measured. Horsepower is an idea that was thought up by man, and cannot be directly measured, only calculated."

Which is why Dynos make great tuning tools, but that's about it...

Nice numbers. I love your car. I read most of your build thread the other day. Good luck at the track. What happened to the black wheels??
Thanks! I hope to be able to get some good launches! The black wheels are back on the car... as Shane stated:

She just took them off for the dyno time, no sense in wearing them out on a trip to, on, and from the dyno. :thumb:

:)

I would do a Dynojet test before claiming anything. My friend has a Dynojet that I use all the time. He gets these guys that went on a Mustang Dyno and was not happy with their results. They then comes to my friend's shop just to see even less. These guys got mad and claimed that his Dyno is broken or reading wrong. We just smile when these guys act like a fool at the shop. These crazy guys are usually Civic, Mustang, and Viper owners.

I remember a tuner made his client got a balance and an alignment because he claimed the roller was causing the power band to be wiggly. This tuner was use to using a Dynopak. The problem the whole time was caused by the tuner. He was tuning so aggressive that the car was knocking like mad. I watch the knock indicator tap on his laptop flashed red during the pull. The tuner was trying to reach a hp level that he was use to seeing on the Dynopak because the client expected it. The client told me he paid the guy $1500 plus $500 for all day dyno rental. I told my friend to stay away from the Dyno because the engine can blow at anytime. I told my friend this poor Civic is about to take s shxx. We stepped outside and walk back in after two pulls to see a lot of smoke, oil and coolant all over the Dyno. Good thing is he made 50 bux for clean up fee.

I personally like Dynojet because it will read consistent from Dyno to Dyno. It is simple and you can not manipulate the power. It will read different in different gear for turbo cars because you can not get a turbo spool the same. If you have a car with traction control, it will make the ecu goes crazy. This is when a load cell Dynojet or Mustang Dyno is need. You can always disable traction control though.

If you Dyno more in the Dynojet than the Mustang Dyno, I would love to see it. Sometimes it is hard to select parts when people are using different Dynos that read different.

Did I mention that your car freaken clean. I love that model. I owned and sold over 50+ DSM over the year. I never own one with that bumper style.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back