Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > Racing & Motorsports > Dyno Talk
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Dyno Talk: For all the DSM dyno queens. Discuss dyno results here. For tuning discussions, use the Tuning Forum.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 10:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #21 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 998
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDNF2ET View Post
Whats your favorite cam for an automatic ?
The Little Auto has HKS272s in it from when I bought it from TJ and then sold it to Luke. It is a 2.3 now and running a larger turbo but I feel it could benefit from S2s. Jeff will be running S3s in the Drag car this season, but to answer the question specifically, autos need to spool quick. If you are trying to do this with no bottle you need a big motor and a lot of off boost power. Giving up some spool isnt good unless you are making up for it somehow.

I like the top end myself so in cars that are revving out Drive, these will help.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:16 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #22 (permalink)
DSMtuners Supporting Vendor

English Auto INC 

Tech Posts: 326
I have been thinking about these cams for the little auto but I dont think I would seem much gain since the way the 16g spikes peak hp is around 5.5-6k and I shift about 6.2-6.5k. While with the S2 I might be another 20hp past 7k I will still be the down side of peak power and with the auto and using OD I stay right in that peak power zone. And as Aaron said it would also slow the stall down on the car.

I feel with the Green that is on the car now a set of S2 would really help since it would jump the peak power into the upper 6k range.

I would do these hands down on a 5spd 16g car since spreading the HP range will help a ton.

EnglishRacing.NET
Visit LucasEnglish's homepage! 

Old 02-10-2011, 03:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #23 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Here is an example of the S3s idling in a 2.0L SD Evo 8 which is very similar to the 2G as far as the head, intake, and SD.

YouTube - Cameron 2003 Evolution VIII Idle on GSC S3 Cams Stock ECU SD FP Black Turbo

Custom grinds arent going to be available at this time as the S3 has proven to make the same amount of power as the S2R in my car in comparable builds. We are thinking of organizing a group buy for any of the new GSC cam sets whether the S1 to the S3. If this is something that might interest at least 5 members (10 preferably) I will get it going.

Aaron

Old 02-10-2011, 03:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #24 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 1,994
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 35
Reputation: VETTE_50_TH is extremely helpful and trustworthyVETTE_50_TH is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to VETTE_50_TH
Sound mean.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-10-2011, 03:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #25 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,484
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 5
Reputation: Strm Trpr is extremely helpful and trustworthyStrm Trpr is extremely helpful and trustworthyStrm Trpr is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDgsx View Post
We are thinking of organizing a group buy for any of the new GSC cam sets whether the S1 to the S3. If this is something that might interest at least 5 members (10 preferably) I will get it going.

Aaron
So since this motor is stock I assume you guys just dropped these right in.

My S2's will be degreed on the engine stand!
Numbers will be documented, then hopefully the adjustables will find more power on the dyno!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #26 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 769
What cost are we talking for the group buy? Id be willing to sign up for some s2 s for my 2g head evo intake and 20g set up, or is there another cam profile you'd recommend?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #27 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

S2s are pretty much the mainstay cam. We install S1s only when someone is really worried about a stock like idle and they want to focus on midrange power up to 6500 or so. The S2 fits quite a few applications from 16Gs to 3586s. The S3 fits larger motors (2.3s and 2.4s) and larger turbos where the focus is really 600whp and above. We tested the S3 in Cameron's car because #1 he was a willing test subject, and #2 he got screwed on a cam purchase from an EvoM user and we had the S3s there ready to go. It worked out though for sure.

Group buy-

476+shipping has been the normal introductory price for any cam set.

We will do 470 shipped for 5 customers and 450 shipped (anywhere in the lower 48) for 10 customers.

We can mix and match as needed so if big cams arent what someone is really after. The S1s are somewhere between 264s and 272s for idle characteristics, I feel pretty invisible really. S2s idle better than 4Rs and make the same or more power (in most cases). The S3s in the Evo 8 we tested actually idle better than some cars equipped with S2s because of the centerlines.

I have checked these on a degree wheel before but they are on a CNC cam grinder so they havent ever seemed to vary that I have seen.

Aaron

Old 02-11-2011, 10:09 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #28 (permalink)
Proven Member

Id be willing if you start a group buy to sign up, hopefully some other people will chime in. I was on gsc s site and was really liking the s2 specs sounds like what Ill want

Old 02-11-2011, 08:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #29 (permalink)
Banned Member

Reputation: VETTE_50_TH is extremely helpful and trustworthyVETTE_50_TH is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Goddamn. Full boost it looks like around 42-4300 on a 2.0 with huge cams and a sizable turbo as well. Thats some good tuning there. If im fully spooled before 4k ill be happy

Old 02-11-2011, 10:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #30 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 741
Photos: 62
Classifieds Rating: 15
Reputation: talonDSMerr is pretty helpful and trustworthytalonDSMerr is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to talonDSMerr
Count me in on the group buy for either S1's or S2's. I need to make a call to GSC and discuss which is a better match for my goals.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:20 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #31 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2005 Evo
Tech Posts: 1,891
Reputation: olmytsi is pretty helpful and trustworthyolmytsi is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to olmytsi
Have they redesigned the S1's as well? That's what I've been running since August 2009 and I love them!!!!!!!!!!!
Visit olmytsi's homepage! 

Old 02-25-2011, 09:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #32 (permalink)
Proven Member

Any word on that group buy I really want a set of s2's

Old 02-25-2011, 12:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #33 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 228
Classifieds Rating: 6
So for a 2.3l and something like an HTA30R Or FP Green im looking at the GS2 cam it sounds like? Not to get off topic, but how do you guys like the HTA Green. Seems like people are afraid of it in one of the turbo system threads since it isn't using some mitsu parts or some shit. Im thinking my 2.3 with the HTA Green and the GS2 Would be awsome.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #34 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 746
Classifieds Rating: 0
Bringing this back from the dead, but I was wondering if there was any input on the previous version of the S2 cams. I picked up a parts car that has these cams, but they were bought in summer 2010, so not this current re-design. Wondering if I would be better off using them rather than the HKS 264I/272E cams?

Lucas's opinion is most solicited, as he's the man with automatic/16G experience.

Visit Nate Crisman's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-17-2011, 07:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #35 (permalink)
Proven Member

I purchased a set of s2 s and installed them last weekend car has not be run. My main concern is on #4 cylinder the lobes of the cam (both Intake and exhaust) are vary close to the cam cap is this normal? It seems that 1 and 2 are good but 3 and 4 get progressively closer (does not touch) if its normal Im willing to leave it at that.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #36 (permalink)
Banned Member

Yes. Its normal.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:21 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #37 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 746
Classifieds Rating: 0
Anyone have the cam card specs for the previous version S2 cams to compare against the this current re-design?

Visit Nate Crisman's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-18-2011, 06:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #38 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Crisman View Post
Anyone have the cam card specs for the previous version S2 cams to compare against the this current re-design?
i would like to know also

Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #39 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 228
Classifieds Rating: 4
Reputation: VETDRMS is extremely helpful and trustworthyVETDRMS is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian9397gsx View Post
I purchased a set of s2 s and installed them last weekend car has not be run. My main concern is on #4 cylinder the lobes of the cam (both Intake and exhaust) are vary close to the cam cap is this normal? It seems that 1 and 2 are good but 3 and 4 get progressively closer (does not touch) if its normal Im willing to leave it at that.
Mine were the exact same way. The #4 intake rocker's roller is actually not even on the cam lobe on the edge...

Old 03-19-2011, 08:53 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #40 (permalink)
Proven Member

The cam lobe is not centered on mine but all of the roller is on the lobe on mine. If its normal its normal I'm not gonna complain especially with the performance I should see from them.