Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > Racing & Motorsports > Dyno Talk
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Dyno Talk: For all the DSM dyno queens. Discuss dyno results here. For tuning discussions, use the Tuning Forum.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 07:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #41 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 518
Photos: 56
Classifieds Rating: 2
Thats an amazing curve, I think my numbers were close but thats on a 2.4L and you are 2.0!!

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:29 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #42 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 445
Classifieds Rating: 4
Send a message via AIM to endeffect0
I just showed my girl your power curve on your 'street car'. (she's very much into her turbo 2liter Cosworth fords) her response was Wow! whats his race car like?

Old 09-03-2010, 07:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #43 (permalink)
DSMtuners Supporting Vendor

StrictlyImportMotorsports 

Car: 2005 EVO 8
Tech Posts: 560
Classifieds Rating: 24
Send a message via AIM to TofastForU_99
Man Paul wish I was there. I cant wait for the new setup and the numbers on that one. Still kinda upset it had to break on you like that before we got to the track this friday. But anyways great work glad I could help out.

Feal Suspension
Visit TofastForU_99's homepage! 

Old 09-03-2010, 09:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #44 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 8,630
Photos: 68
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerdrew View Post
Thats an amazing curve, I think my numbers were close but thats on a 2.4L and you are 2.0!!
Thanks, Andrew. I'm very much looking forward to going back next spring and doing pulls from the 2500 RPM range. I have a good feeling that my torque curve will shift further to the left if we're able to got WOT sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endeffect0 View Post
I just showed my girl your power curve on your 'street car'. (she's very much into her turbo 2liter Cosworth fords) her response was Wow! whats his race car like?
Ironically enough, my race car will make less HP than my street car when it's finished. But should be equally quick being that it weighs almost 900 lbs less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofastForU_99 View Post
Man Paul wish I was there. I cant wait for the new setup and the numbers on that one. Still kinda upset it had to break on you like that before we got to the track this friday. But anyways great work glad I could help out.
Thanks Allen. Yeah, I was debating pulling the head to resurface it and getting it back together before tonight, but then I'd still be racing on a failing clutch (which I can't afford to replace right now). I can be patient until the spring. You still going to 131 tonight? I still might try to make it down there.

Also, you know anyone who might be interested in buying my turbo set-up? You should talk John into it. It'd be sick on a stroker engine.

The Original 1G Chromoly Crossmember
Visit 99gst_racer's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-03-2010, 09:19 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #45 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 846
Photos: 27
Reputation: tenn-gsx is pretty helpful and trustworthytenn-gsx is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to tenn-gsx Send a message via Yahoo to tenn-gsx
Man if I wasnt building a new engine , deployed and putting in a complete new suspension I would buy this setup in a blink. I bet this configuration would be un stopable on a 2.3l.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-03-2010, 09:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #46 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 1,107
Photos: 1
Very impressive. Its innovations and new idea's like your compound set up that keep the DSM community alive and honda owners angry

Old 09-03-2010, 09:28 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #47 (permalink)

Thanks guys.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #48 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 1,994
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 35
Reputation: VETTE_50_TH is extremely helpful and trustworthyVETTE_50_TH is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to VETTE_50_TH
Why is your car only running the front wheels but you have a converted gst to gsx????? You have a switchable trans or something too?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:45 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #49 (permalink)
Banana Republic

Tech Posts: 4,645
Photos: 65
Classifieds Rating: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gst_racer View Post
I had some fun on the dyno yesterday. It was a 2WD Dynojet, so I dropped the t-case and driveshaft and hit the road. The very first pull blew the tires clean off on the rollers before we even hit 6K rpms. Love that torque! We eventually had to turn the tire pressures down to 20 psi and use some sort of spray on aerosol traction promoter to get traction. Immediately, the clutch began to slip in the 5000-6700 RPM range and slowly catching back up. I'm pushing this ACT 2600 well beyond what it's rated for and I'm surprised it's done as well as it has thus far. But, it's time for a twin disk. The blank areas on the dynograph are where the rollers weren't accurately reading due to the clutch. And when it caught, it still wasn't catching 100%.

Despite the slipping clutch, I was still able to squeeze out 609 WHP and 541 ft/lbs torque. This was at 47 PSI! But, the final pull also answered my question of whether or not the head was warped from overheating at the shootout. The head gasket popped somewhere between cylinders 2 and 3 and was pissing a stream of coolant out the back of the block. So, I'll have the head resurfaced this time around and should be all set. And I'll have to get a better clutch before I can see true and complete curves and peaks.

This power curve is gnarly! This is exactly why it's an absolute blast to drive around on the street.

We did some math and we feel it would have peaked in the 680-700 WHP range had the clutch held. And we would have started the pulls at a much lower RPM, but that was putting the clutch in an even tighter headlock.

Datalog attached.
You've just got to read the second sentence of Paul's original post.

E-OCHOCINCO Powered FP HTA68 / stock 7-bolt / Shep 4

Old 09-03-2010, 11:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #50 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 1,994
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 35
Reputation: VETTE_50_TH is extremely helpful and trustworthyVETTE_50_TH is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to VETTE_50_TH
Where is the big ol coy emoticon when you need it. Makes me wonder what his awhp would be? Hmm

Old 09-03-2010, 12:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #51 (permalink)
DSMtuners Supporting Vendor

StrictlyImportMotorsports 

Car: 2005 EVO 8
Tech Posts: 560
Classifieds Rating: 24
Send a message via AIM to TofastForU_99
Yah Paul hoping the rain will hold out. You should shoot me a pm for the setup Ill see what I can do. We are meeting at the shop at 6-7ish if you wanna meet with us.

Feal Suspension
Visit TofastForU_99's homepage! 

Old 09-19-2010, 06:01 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #52 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: Osiris Shoes
Tech Posts: 451
Classifieds Rating: 0
i guess no answer is the same as a no. would have been nice if you just said no thanks.

Last edited by necrotopsy; 09-20-2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: being ignored sucks

Old 09-20-2010, 07:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #53 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 667
Congrats!! i still can't get over the fact that the total area under that curve is so massive

Old 09-20-2010, 11:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #54 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 887
Photos: 21
Reputation: diambo4life is pretty helpful and trustworthydiambo4life is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via Yahoo to diambo4life
Very nice. Weird I see this only now. Definitely one of the more unique setups in the DSM world. Great job.

91 GVR4 #476/2000
10.56@139 1991 Talon (sold)
Visit diambo4life's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-21-2010, 06:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #55 (permalink)

Thanks Mike.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #56 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 169
wow, what kinda blow off's you got and where are they located? sounds like it's not releiveing a whole lot of pressue.. but 47psi is massive for any motor /turbo setup..

this car properly tightened up.. i feel could push beyond 1400whp

whats this about not running the same turbo's again?

Old 09-22-2010, 12:00 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazsion View Post
wow, what kinda blow off's you got and where are they located? sounds like it's not releiveing a whole lot of pressue.. but 47psi is massive for any motor /turbo setup..
The sound that the camera picked up wasn't even close to what we were hearing. That dyno video is a poor tool to judge from. My BOVs are actually quite loud in person and seem to be sufficient in preventing compressor surge.

I have 2 Greddy BOV's about a foot from the TB:

Quote:
this car properly tightened up.. i feel could push beyond 1400whp
I'm not sure what you mean by "tightened up", but these compressors would never be able to compress enough air to support 1400 WHP. Never in my wildest dreams. I'd say this system would be good for 700-750 WHP max.

Quote:
whats this about not running the same turbo's again?
I sold the set-up and have begun fabricating a new configuration. I'm completely sold on compound turbocharging, but I wanted to change a few things for the next season.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #58 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 2,434
Classifieds Rating: 15
Awesome work and truly impressive results Paul. Car sounds amazing and I can only imagine how fun it must be to drive.

Ever consider making kits for market?

Old 09-22-2010, 01:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #59 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 36
that car is awesome!

47 p s i !!!!!! You can hear that coming , sounds like jet!! Nice dyno!

Last edited by chronister76; 09-22-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 09-22-2010, 01:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeen View Post
Awesome work and truly impressive results Paul. Car sounds amazing and I can only imagine how fun it must be to drive.

Ever consider making kits for market?
Thanks man.

I have considered producing these, but I think the market for something like this is incredibly slim. And I honestly don't have the time or resources either. Most of the people that seem to be really interested in compound turbocharging are DIY guys like me. Few seem to be willing to pay several thousand dollars to have someone else do the work.