The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

508hp/455tq HX35 dyno

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rampridersrider

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 24, 2004
Missouri
Decided to finally get some numbers on the GSX a couple weeks ago. I was pretty surprised actually at how easily it made over 500hp with my particular setup.

Mods that matter.

Eagle/Wiseco 2.0 6 bolt
8.5:1 compression ratio
ARP headstuds with factory Failpro headgasket
Stock head and valvetrain with FP2 cams
Stock 6 bolt Intake Manifold
Stock 1g Turbo throttle body and 2g elbow
Junk Ebay intercooler
Crushed/Dodge modded 1g BOV
Junk Ebay DNP knock off exhaust manifold
7 blade HX35 with chewed up compressor wheel, w/ 12cm housing, unported and untouched
Tial 35mm wastegate
Full 3 inch exhaust with High flow cat
2g maf, FP intake
1600 cc injectors, single rewired 255 intank, stock lines and filter, E85
DSMLink

That should be everything that matters. First pull at 28 psi made 486 hp/420 tq, second pull at 29 psi made 497 hp/437 tq, then the final pull at 30 psi with 508 hp/455 tq. I have the car tuned for low tq, but the boost kept spiking to a few psi higher than set (spiked to 32 psi and settled to 30), so tq was a bit higher than I'd like. I think this is cause I'm on a 10 lb spring in my wastegate and the boost controller is having a hard time controlling the boost. This last pull started going rich up top so some slight tuning or possibly a boost leak test is in order. No big deal. Its still good to know that there is still plenty more left in this setup if need be, I don't think 550 is out of the question with a few more psi. No plans as of right now to increase the boost though. Enjoy.

I included a log of the 30 psi run as well.

YouTube - 20100709_006.mp4

Attachments

• IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 3,159
  • log.2010.07.09-01.elg
    4.1 KB · Views: 459
Thanks.

BTW, the shop informed me that all these numbers were corrected so these are the actual numbers the car made. Uncorrected would have been a bit higher.

congrats on numbers man.. if you don;t mind me asking, were you shocked when you seen those number pop up on the first pull?

Yes and No. I was shocked cause I figured it was closer to 450-460 at 28 psi, but no because I was hoping the turbo was going to live up to its hype so far.

I was on cloud 9 for about 5 minutes then my buddy did 658 in his 98 GSX right after me on a BW S364 and stock 7 bolt head/IM/valvetrain etc etc. You don't need a ton of mods to make big power, just gotta know what your doing. I bet I have less than 4k in mods into this car so far and am making over 500 whp reliably. I'll probably end up selling my 7 blade HX40 seeing as how this turbo is more than enough for now.

Very nice on a cheap setup! What are you running for timing?

I run a lot of advance down low out of boost for driveability and such, then around 7-8* when full boost hits then starts climbing again after around 6k rpm up to 19*. I have it setup to limit my torque output. You don't need a ton of torque to get these cars moving fast, all that extra torque just breaks everything.

You can view my log in the first post.

What idc's with the 1600's?

60%

If I decide to up the boost I'll watch the IDC and watch to see if the afrs start leaning out to much, then I'll dial back base fuel pressure and add more global to compensate. Doing this will keep the 255 away from its crack pressure limit. But I don't think I'll have an issue till around 550-570 with fuel.

There is a log posted in the first post for anyone wanting to view my tune.

Last edited:
Damn! E85 FTW!! Sick numbers man! I know you said stock head (maybe just internals except for cams) but did you do any porting on it?

He mentioned it was unported in his list, read above^.

Congrats on the results bro, great work ! Simplicity is the key. :)

are teh AFR's from thedyno graph accurate? If so do they match what your car's wideband is reading? Reason i ask is most people are afraid to run mid to high 12's for AFR untill they realize it knocks when rich, but i've never heard tell of some one aiming for 13.4:1 at WOT. I can't believe no one has mentioned this in this thread yet, maybe no one looked *shrugs*

If you would please fill me in about your AFR's

Aiming for that a/f ratio is fine considering he's runing e85. . . I would think.

interesting, it's just something i've never heard anyone talk about doing under that much boost especially, even on e85. Aside from one guys post where he had a pic of his wideband going into the 13's under boost on the dyno cause his pump ran out. Most of us that have been tuning it for a while are aiming for mid 12's, i'd like to hear more about going into the 13's with it for sure!

are teh AFR's from thedyno graph accurate? If so do they match what your car's wideband is reading? Reason i ask is most people are afraid to run mid to high 12's for AFR untill they realize it knocks when rich, but i've never heard tell of some one aiming for 13.4:1 at WOT. I can't believe no one has mentioned this in this thread yet, maybe no one looked *shrugs*

If you would please fill me in about your AFR's

You're reading it wrong bud, its 12.4 not 13.4. I aim for mid 12's on E85, though another friend that day did a pull at 28 psi with a 35R where the maf was getting overrun and the afrs went into the 14's on E85 and didn't knock.

Nice work!!! It's amazing what these turbos can do, we have one sitting on the shelf that I'm trying to decide what to put it on.

Tim
Punishment Racing DSM Store
Punishment Racing - Punish The Competition - Homepage

Yah its not a bad turbo. Seems very comparible to a 3076R or a 3082.

Mods that matter.

Eagle/Wiseco 2.0 6 bolt
8.5:1 compression ratio
ARP headstuds with factory Failpro headgasket
Stock head and valvetrain with FP2 cams
Stock 6 bolt Intake Manifold
Stock 1g Turbo throttle body and 2g elbow
Junk Ebay intercooler
Crushed/Dodge modded 1g BOV
Junk Ebay DNP knock off exhaust manifold
7 blade HX35 with chewed up compressor wheel, w/ 12cm housing, unported and untouched
Tial 35mm wastegate
Full 3 inch exhaust with High flow cat
2g maf, FP intake
1600 cc injectors, single rewired 255 intank, stock lines and filter, E85
DSMLink

WOW I didn't notice that. did you run that pte gasket which gives the divider a radius at least?

This gives me motivation to get crackin on my holder build. Im impressed sir.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back