Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > Racing & Motorsports > Dyno Talk
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Dyno Talk: For all the DSM dyno queens. Discuss dyno results here. For tuning discussions, use the Tuning Forum.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 10:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #21 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 323
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 30
Send a message via AIM to dsmusmc Send a message via Yahoo to dsmusmc
Would love to hear more. This is the setup im looking to get.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:02 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #22 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 779
Classifieds Rating: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gGSX View Post
Pretty much the same plans as before--JMF Drag installed, the biggest off the shelf core Garrett sells, some ducting, and a surge tank with two Walbro 255 (GSL392's). All my old fueling issues are fixed, which actually fixed some of my old tuning issues.
What fuel pump were you running b4 and injectors and which ducting are you talking about?

Old 08-14-2011, 01:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #23 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,741
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: 2gGSX is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to2gGSX is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to2gGSX is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to2gGSX is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
I was running a 255 in tank to an 044 inline before. Part of the problem was cavitating the in tank pump. It still supported a lot of power, but it was far from ideal for me.

I got my transmission cooler ducted, and some ducting between my radiator and FMIC. The FMIC itself leaves nearly no space between itself and the bumper cover. Coolant temps while moving now are even better than they were with my old 3.5" intercooler! They do start climbing pretty steadily once I stop moving though, so I'm probably going to need a second radiator fan.

I never ran two fans before because it would take 10-15 minutes of sitting still to push the car to 216-219* coolant temps. With amperage being at a huge premium right now, I'd prefer to avoid adding anything I didn't need. However, now it only takes 5-10 minutes to go to those temps, so it looks unavoidable.

Here's a quick snap of the surge tank I got during test fitment:

Old 08-16-2011, 04:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #24 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
I was running a 255 in tank to an 044 inline before. Part of the problem was cavitating the in tank pump. It still supported a lot of power, but it was far from ideal for me.

I got my transmission cooler ducted, and some ducting between my radiator and FMIC. The FMIC itself leaves nearly no space between itself and the bumper cover. Coolant temps while moving now are even better than they were with my old 3.5" intercooler! They do start climbing pretty steadily once I stop moving though, so I'm probably going to need a second radiator fan.

I never ran two fans before because it would take 10-15 minutes of sitting still to push the car to 216-219* coolant temps. With amperage being at a huge premium right now, I'd prefer to avoid adding anything I didn't need. However, now it only takes 5-10 minutes to go to those temps, so it looks unavoidable.

Here's a quick snap of the surge tank I got during test fitment:
Interesting setup. I am hoping to just go with one fuel pump a jayracing to feed some 2150 or 1450 cc FIC injectors. Can't wait to see what your car is dynoing now.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #25 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Did you dump the car yet?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:13 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #26 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 323
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 30
Send a message via AIM to dsmusmc Send a message via Yahoo to dsmusmc
I would like to know as well. Iv almost been stalking you and ceedawgs posts trying to find out more about this setup. Im torn between the 88/75 and the 91/79.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:58 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #27 (permalink)
Supporting Member

By
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmusmc View Post
I would like to know as well. Iv almost been stalking you and ceedawgs posts trying to find out more about this setup. Im torn between the 88/75 and the 91/79.
I'm getting there. Just got the headgasket and h11 studs. Still have to purchase my 1450's ,two wastegates and sbc clutch. I'm hoping that this turbo won't be to big for toad racing.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #28 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: 2gGSX is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to2gGSX is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to2gGSX is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to2gGSX is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
There are some events going on this weekend in KC.. 1/4 on Friday with some F-body meeting and a dyno day on Saturday with a regional Evo board. If I can find someone to help trailer my car down I'm considering making the trip. The car will absolutely make the trip by itself, even with my converter. Trans temps were around 140 with ambient temps being in the 70's.

I'm having some issues with my converter though, mainly that it's too loose so I'm only seeing ~120-125 mph at 8000 RPM in third. Interestingly enough, even if I ease the throttle and just hold it at 8000 RPM it still pulls up top. Observation on the streets shows I'm hitting 8000 in third somewhere between the 1/8 mile and 1000 ft range, so this would really be leaving a lot on the table.

dsmusmc--I think you could get away with a 91/79 honestly. Your setup looks a lot better than mine, so if you can rev it closer to 9000 I think you can stall it. It will take forever without nitrous though.
Edit: it also depends on what your goals are, obviously. If I were going to upgrade again though, I think I would be between the big EFR, a GTX4094 (does not currently exist), or a ball bearing 6765 depending on cost/availability.

Last edited by 2gGSX; 09-07-2011 at 04:11 AM.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #29 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 631
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 3
where did you get your car dynoed?
View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-15-2011, 03:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #30 (permalink)
Proven Member

ET Tuning in Union, MO

Old 09-25-2011, 01:10 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #31 (permalink)
Proven Member

Season over! 3+ years of 500-700 whp and next to no maintenance did her in. We sure had a good run, but it's on to the next motor!

For the record, I was ahead

Old 09-26-2011, 01:58 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #32 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 411
Photos: 11
Classifieds Rating: 1
So sorry, I know its a bad feeling when you see that! What are you gonna do next? Also what let go, crank or rod?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #33 (permalink)
Proven Member

Rod failure. Looking at some built motors on various classifieds right now. G4CS long rod 2.4L is in the lead right now.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #34 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 9.980 @ 139.980
Tech Posts: 798
Send a message via MSN to slowgsr
Quote:
I'm having some issues with my converter though, mainly that it's too loose so I'm only seeing ~120-125 mph at 8000 RPM in third.
Im curious what converter your using?

For your new engine, try to pick something that can handle the RPM's so you can stay in 3rd

Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #35 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 411
Photos: 11
Quote:
Rod failure. Looking at some built motors on various classifieds right now. G4CS long rod 2.4L is in the lead right now.
I always thought a long rod would be best for an auto

Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #36 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 5,285
Classifieds Rating: 21
Reputation: turboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Long rod engine kick ass for high revving applications where late coming powerbands and high revs rule supreme!

I have a question and please don't take it offensive as i'm just curiouse based on my experieces with the 67mm turbo i'm running after 10+ years on a 57trim to4e. Do you find that late spooling powerband just to be a PITA in DD situations (or is it just plated but not really driven?)?

Also, is that time in your avatar your current best and is that with this turbo/HP numbers>? Just wondering if there's a point where having NOTHING below 5500RPM pays off on a DD/track duty car, seems like you ewither are really fast or suffering severely from the lag (i ran a 12.08 at 119 on a 19psi 57trim and a shat tune) not knocking jsut wondering if at the level your at would a broader rev range benefit more untill you're getting into say 9 second 1/4 miless

Old 09-29-2011, 07:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #37 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 109
His profile says that the times were done using a s256 while the dyno numbers were on his latest set up.

OP, did you ever make it to the track on the 8875?

Chris:92 GSX,92 TSi AWD,93 TSi AWD,91 GVR4(#1346)

Old 09-29-2011, 11:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #38 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 5,285
Classifieds Rating: 21
Reputation: turboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
oops i looked in the profile but must have missed that , my bad

Old 10-01-2011, 09:54 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #39 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgsr View Post
Im curious what converter your using?

For your new engine, try to pick something that can handle the RPM's so you can stay in 3rd
PI 9.5 billet with some ridiculous stall. If I remember right it's stalled the same as Kiggly's was at one point--meaning it's designed for around 9000 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1993gsallmt View Post
I always thought a long rod would be best for an auto
If I get that long rod 2.4 I'll be sending the converter off to get it tightened up up top. Like I said earlier this converter would work amazing if I revved to 9000 (or OVER 9000!!!), but that's not in the cards unless I pick up a 2.0 instead. On the brakes the converter stalled to ~4500 RPM and 12 psi within 5-6 seconds with the old 2.3, so it probably wouldn't hurt too much to tighten it up with a 2.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GSXtacy View Post
His profile says that the times were done using a s256 while the dyno numbers were on his latest set up.

OP, did you ever make it to the track on the 8875?
Yeah, that wasn't the greatest time. The log showed I was off the throttle for a second and a half on the 1-2! I never got a chance to make it on the track with this setup. For what it's worth I was a couple bus lengths ahead of a solid axle 3.4 whipple Cobra on slicks when this happened... on a private property in Mexico.

Last edited by 2gGSX; 10-02-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #40 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Whats good man! Any updates on the new motor? I just need to buy my south bend clutch and a fluid damper or ATi crank pulley!