The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1995 Eclipse GST from Dominican Republic

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javierabrahamgv

Proven Member
Mar 31, 2014
Santo Domingo, Central_America
Hi Guys,

I bought a 1995 Eclipse GST about two weeks ago. The previous owner decided to put it Naturally Aspirated for some reason but i will Turbo it again. Haven't had much time to work on it yet but some minor things.

Here's when i bought it:

eJQcJO8.jpg

KsZJI3i.jpg

nBqg6FQ.jpg

8JbCnwm.jpg

I cleaned the trunk as it had a massive amount of dirt under the spare wheel since it doesn't have the rubber things that closes the drains. Been trying to find that to buy with no luck.

I also used PlastiDip on the wheels since i couldn't stand the brightness in them ROFL, i am planning on buying XXR 527 in December. Removed the FMIC which was doing nothing there.

I bought and am receiving today a Pioneer Double Din Radio, NGK Spark Plugs/Wires and the Hatch Lift Support Arms which were basically dead.

I am also keen on changing both bumpers and wing.

tuF1cCQ.jpg

Xu9lFWP

OiEupFo.jpg

JWG03w5.jpg

WkwsUPl.jpg

xJWcyxj.jpg

Wow interesting! I am going to subscribe to this thread. What part of DR are you in? Was A lot of stuff removed that you would need to make the induction system work again??

Hopefully the motor was not swapped to N/A and you checked.

Wow interesting! I am going to subscribe to this thread. What part of DR are you in? Was A lot of stuff removed that you would need to make the induction system work again??

Hopefully the motor was not swapped to N/A and you checked.

I'm from the Capital City, the engine was swapped with another 4g63 but they didn't put the Turbo back. Will have to dig deeper though, the insurance is supposed to be ready by tomorrow, haven't moved it much because of it.

I like how they used the turbo intake off the TB...are dsm's hard to find down there?

Lol. They are not hard....they are almost impossible to find. There's only 1 GSX that I know of and it's in excellent conditions but the owner even though doesn't use it, won't sell it.

I saw 2 others but they looked like they went to WWII and came back. Best I could get was this one.

Was that MAS sprayed blue?!

I guess so, I saw some blue cables around so it wouldn't surprise me if the previous owner had it paint blue :confused:

Updating on this DSM.

So, i took it to one of the best Mechanics in the country. He confirmed my worst fear...the engine is not a 4G63T, it's a Hyundai one, a G4CN which is the same as the 4G67 it's a N/A 1,800cc :banghead: the previous owner got robbed, they sold him the engine as if it was the same 4G63T and they left him the Turbo ECU and everything (For my luck, i bought him the car cheap) it's a dissapointment but i was going to buy the DSM regardless since they are rare in here, i'm on the lookout for a 4G63T but they are also rare to find as the Evo VI engines are the ones with more market here.

Is there any other engine that can be swapped into a 2g GST?

I installed new Pioneer Radio and Speakers

C8m42PV.jpg

I also installed White leds to the Cluster which now look Yellowish. Will be changing them again later

rSi3yzp.jpg

Also bought the 95-96 Bumper locally, mad cheap for $55usd. I want the 99 Bumper but only if found locally since importing it could cost $120 usd just to import it.

zJP9Fw2.jpg

Will lower it when i have everything ready

4rsPKgg.jpg

Took her out for a ride last weekend

rLcNfmN.jpg

Good looking car man! It's always awesome having a rare car, until it's time to buy parts :p
You can put a GC4S or a 4G64 in there, they're both 2.4 liter blocks. They're found in a 1990 Hyundai Sonata in the GC4S's case or in 94-98 Mitsubishi Galant in the 4G64's. There are a few good swap threads out there. Good luck finding an engine!

Good looking car man! It's always awesome having a rare car, until it's time to buy parts :p
You can put a GC4S or a 4G64 in there, they're both 2.4 liter blocks. They're found in a 1990 Hyundai Sonata in the GC4S's case or in 94-98 Mitsubishi Galant in the 4G64's. There are a few good swap threads out there. Good luck finding an engine!

Thanks man! We get a lot of parts here but that engine is not so common. I found someone who's willing to trade plus me giving some cash, will check the engine this weekend, it's mounted on a 1G. Hopefully it's in good shape.

I saw the Engine yesterday with my mechanic and he said it's good to go but that there will be a few things he will be taking from my current engine to put it on the other one.

I found a 4G61T with Evo Pistons, Connecting Rods & Bearings. I've been told that now it's basically been converted to a 4G63T. We would be basically swapping engines, i would give him a 4G67 from Hyundai and i would pay around usd 400.00 difference.

SlL3hy8.jpg

The guys is taking his engine off now and will be delivering it to my mechanic tomorrow when i also leave the car to take my engine out.

I would have rather getting a original 4G63T but there seems to be none on sale here and bringing it here would be way too expensive.

Please advise, as i could still have time to take the deal back

Nice! I subscribed to this build. I'm from RD too but living in Aruba.

Last edited:
I received yesterday the engine. We'll be working today on taking out mine.

Here's a few pics of the new engine:

K0s223n.jpg

ZQqlzbQ.jpg

t15zdF4.jpg

This says Skunk2
rAOXNGY.jpg

Yesterday we took a look at the front wheel assembly, had to change all the control arms from both front sides (6 in total) and both ball and socket joint. Suspension looks good, so i'll change that later

CIzZT1g.jpg

R21lKqL.jpg

Doini5W.jpg

4ocuyKH.jpg

Hopefully today we'll mount the engine

Il71FFS.jpg

Before you do anything else, have you checked to see if there is any play in that turbo shaft? I have installed two remanuefactured turbo's (Ct26&Gt35) on my Toyota Supra and both seemed to BLOW the oil seals on low boost then the shaft and fins detonated. IT was a disaster because the fins go through the header, wastegate spring gets stuck, intercooler oil, etc etc etc. o2 sensor malfunction, just a total disaster.

Anyhow, I love your Eclipse more than mine! I want to build my engine.

My engine is having crazy weird problem i think the butterfly valve is sticking... It shakes and clunks back and forth bum bum bum when you let off the gas, and whenever I press the gas it shakes back and forth bum bum bum bum buuuuuuuuuuuuum accelerating. I thought it was engine mounts, but all have been replaced. O WELL! Hahaha
Love your eclipse man.

Javier, sent you a PM last night, which I think it is now called a private conversation, read it as I think there is good info for you.

Mandy

Before you do anything else, have you checked to see if there is any play in that turbo shaft? I have installed two remanuefactured turbo's (Ct26&Gt35) on my Toyota Supra and both seemed to BLOW the oil seals on low boost then the shaft and fins detonated. IT was a disaster because the fins go through the header, wastegate spring gets stuck, intercooler oil, etc etc etc. o2 sensor malfunction, just a total disaster.

Anyhow, I love your Eclipse more than mine! I want to build my engine.

My engine is having crazy weird problem i think the butterfly valve is sticking... It shakes and clunks back and forth bum bum bum when you let off the gas, and whenever I press the gas it shakes back and forth bum bum bum bum buuuuuuuuuuuuum accelerating. I thought it was engine mounts, but all have been replaced. O WELL! Hahaha
Love your eclipse man.

Thanks for the support and i hope you get to figure out what's wrong. I checked before installing, it had just a tiny bit of playshaft but the mechanic said it was normal to have a little play.

I had a V6 Mazda 6 that did something similar but it shaked even while not accelerating, it turned out to be a tear in the intake boot and another time it was a bad coil. In case of the butterfly valve sticking i think there's a tutorial here to fix that. I'll check as soon as my shift is over. A good thing is that now you KNOW you'll never have to replace mounts again :)

I can't see pics of your Eclipse just the small profile pic but it looks great, i want the 99 Bumpers but just to get one shipped down here, due to it's size and how the package them, it would cost around USD$300.00 each :(

It's wonderful to see DSM love internationally. I imagine this engine was running before you swapped it correct ?
any info on the turbo, any play?

I know very little about the "61" but that looks a lot like a jdm/galant 6 bolt.
Still love the build, keep uploading !:thumb:

The engine was running but the guy had just set it up so he didn't used it much. There was just a little bit of play shaft but nothing to worry about.

I didn't even knew there were '61 LOL. From what i read before buying was that it's basically the same as 4g63 but with a smaller combustion chamber and smaller bore. Right now since it was made a 4g63 i am only missing a bigger combustion chamber, i will be upgrading that at a later time.

Today we will try to fire it up.

And it's alive! We were able to turn it on, on Friday just to check but still have to custom make the pipings.

Here's a fresh video the mechanic just sent me, pipings and downpipe are yet to be done

looks like good progress comparied to where you started man.

the 4g61 was a 1.6 dohc motor used in the Dodge Colt GT/Mitsubishi mirage GT
It may look the same on the outside, but it's not the same as the 4G63t.

the specs are different.
the 4G61T is also a higher revving motor then the 4G63T
but it has a tad less torque.
and the 1.6 has no balance shafts.
the 1.6 has an 82.0 x 75.5 mm bore/stroke.
the 2.0 has an 85mm x 88mm bore/stroke
also IIRC the deck hight was not the same as the 4g63.

Last edited:
looks like good progress comparied to where you started man.

the 4g61 was a 1.6 dohc motor used in the Dodge Colt GT
not a 4G63T
the specs are different
the 4g61t is a higher revving motor then the 4g63t
but it has a tad less torque.
and the 1.6 has no balance shafts.
the 1.6 has an 82.0 x 75.5 mm bore/stroke.
the 2.0 has an 85mm x 88mm stroke
also IIRC the deck hight was not the same.

Hey man, thanks...lot better since it started.

It was also used on Mitsubishi Colts which is i'm guessing it's how it ended up here since Dodge aren't really popular here.

I have a lot of time without updating.

I installed a Manual boost controller in the meantime, also an Aeromotive FPR.

Well I got lucky, I found and bought a Stock 4G63T I believe is the JDM version

ZoVlTed.jpg

PyaWuT7.jpg

AtZxhlW.jpg

The 4G61T is 6 bolts and the 4G63-T is 7 bolts so I had to buy a flywheel, I took the opportunity and bought a Stage 2 Clutch & Flywheel from EClutchmasters

gtsB5mM.jpg

I have to read more about the 7 Bolts as all I keep hearing is they usually suffer from crankwalk, i'll see what crankwalk is and see if there is any way to prevent it from happening.

My mechanic said he wanted to try first the engine as is and after a month then upgrade to the Big 16g turbo and manifold that I already have.

How many PSI's is it safe to run on the stock turbo?

Looking good bro. Looks like your having fun, that's all that matters. Just in response to your post above, not sure how you ment that the 4g63 is 7 bolt, but they come 6 bolt as well and are better short blocks. Kinda sounded like you thought only the 61 was 6 bolt, if not then my misunderstanding.

As far as boost, the stock 14B, I would keep it at no more than 14 psi for now. If your getting a 16g soon, then I would wait to turn it up. Plus stock fuel system is only good for 16-18ish psi through the smaller 16g, I think the big 16g boo uld need more fuel.

That start up video sounded good, like it had some cams LOL. The new engine you got, where did you get it from? Any history on it?

Keep up the good work, god bless,

Anthony B.

Also that intake manifold looks like an evo3, you might have gotten a come up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back