The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 Eagle Talon AWD 325-350HP Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chase64

Probationary Member
Dec 9, 2012
Keswick, ON_Canada
Hello fellow DSM'ers! This is my 98 Eagle Talon TSI 98 325-350HP build for street use. I have owned 2 Talons prior but they were ESI's so i am really stoked to get this build going and hopefully achieving a smooth running 325-350ish HP car to keep up with the big boys on the roads. I have done lots of research and yet am still learning new things everyday which and therefore feedback or suggestions are always welcome. My dad is helping with this build as he has tons of mechanical experience dissembling and reassembling engines as well as fixing almost everything on a vehicle in the past. He is also an electrician and it has helped a lot with my previous cars.
So it all started when I purchased an imported engine off a guy with approximately 60 000k on it as i got it for a great deal and he threw in a parts car LOL. The engine was fully rebuilt (7-bolt block and head). Honed cylinders, new rings, ported head, Polished and balanced crank, Balance shaft elimination kit, Fel-Pro head gasket set, ARP head studs.

Here is my current parts list (already purchased):

-FP EVO lll 16g Turbo
-FP Race Manifold
-Injen Intake
-Punishment Racing FMIC
-Greddy Type RS BOV
-Halman Pro MBC
-FIC 650 Injectors
-Walbro 255 Fuel Pump + Rewire Kit
-Fuelab AFPR with Braided line -6AN
-AEM Uego Wideband
-95 Eprom Ecu with ECM Link v3 Full
-Glowshift 60 Psi Boost, Oil Pressure, Vacuum Gauges
-ACT 2400 Series Kit (2600 Pressure Plate, Street Disk)

Still unsure if i need or should do:

-Car came with a full 2.25" Magnaflow straight exhaust that sounded really nice but unsure if i should be upgrading to a full 3" or at least 3" downpipe/catback?
-Unsure if i should port the turbo (exhaust side) or 02 housing?
-Keep or delete A/C (leaning toward keep but compressor may be shot)
-What flywheel? (ACT streetlight, resurfaces OEM, Fidanza, etc)
-Motor mount upgrade?
-Few other things i may be forgetting

Finally, I plan to get full Adjustable Coilovers (probably Megan EZ Street), new bal joints, lower control arms, and possibly a bigger brake upgrade.

I will upload pics of everything including pulling the current engine, new parts, dropping the engine, installation of new parts, etc.

Last edited:
Id say if you upgrade to 3" exhaust you'll probably need to port the waste gate outlet to avoid the whole boost creep issue.. either that or go external wastegate. Might as well smooth out the turbine outlet while your at it, it takes literally an hour to do the whole thing. I put a evo 3 turbine housing on a small 16G compressor wheel, with a 3" turbo back straight pipe and I couldnt control the boost for ages, finally ported it out and its under control again. Important for tuning to have control of the boost. I'm not yet at the tuning stage tho cant help ya there.

My first suggestion would be to do all the maintenance prior to modding the car (T-Belt, Waterpump, PS belt, t-stat, etc). Inspect it from every angle possible. A broken car with mods is less exciting than a reliable running car that is stock. :) I know that you mentioned that the motor was rebuilt, but I generally check the mentioned parts for excessive wear or incorrect installation for peace of mind.

If you're concerned with porting/boost issues, speak with whoever you plan to tune the car and their history with a similar setup. But when you order your turbo some manufacturers have the option of having the turbo ported. When I ordered my FP Black from Forced Performance they ported the turbo for me.

Look forward to seeing your car develop!

Thanks for the replies. As for maintenance parts i have that under control. I have all new belts including timing belt, new starter motor, alternator, ets. Will probably be purchasing a complete front suspension kit with all control arms and ball joints as mine were getting pretty bad. As for today i was under the car for 4 hours scraping the grease and oil off of everything as it was oil sprayed every year by previous owner. Having trouble uploading pics but will try to get that fixed. I also forgot to mention that i plan on having it tuned by magnus motorsport in the near future and will consult with them on porting advice

Rebuilt Engine Pics
u2aremej.jpg

avume3u6.jpg

ARP Head Studs and Fel-Pro Head Gasket
udepanum.jpg

Starbright Purple with Silver Flake Valve Cover

aze6ajyj.jpg

Head
umy4utar.jpg

Intake and Exhaust sides ported
yvymuvyv.jpg

zyqygamy.jpg

Old Engine Finally out (300 000 kms)
2y3y9y4u.jpg

Time for Engine Bay Prep

Some shots I took of the car before coming off the road last November
py6ymy7y.jpg

Lightly Tinted Tails with silver "Talon"
jape7uhe.jpg

Hating that wheel gap...for now
6emyvuqu.jpg

Have new headlights with 6k HID's for after the build as these fogged up and I ruined the driver side lens trying to repair it

Last edited:
So most recently i have been cleaning the underbody and parts for the car as it was completely oil sprayed every year by previous owner and has led to grease build-up like crazy. Here is a shot of the underbody before and after
y8udevaq.jpg

yny6emy3.jpg

Will be repainting the underbody a flat black rust proof most likely and the exhaust a chrome or flat silver with VHT 2000. Mind you the weather has been crap and am waiting on some sun and heat

The oil spray however did save the car from rust which is awesome since its hard to find rust proofs in Canada. There was minor rust on rad support (common) and a tiny spot on one strut tower that will be repaired most likely tomorrow if weather complies. Dont know if i mentioned it but the car is only to be summer drivin for now on.

What did you use to get the underbody that clean? How long was the process?

My dads lift to start which was a bonus. I used varsol, blue paper towels, and a scrapper. Was probably a 2 hour annoying process because it was everywhere. I then took the pressure washer to the engine bay and wheel wells to get the tough grease off all the suspension components and what not.
e5ypetu4.jpg

Engine Bay after a pressure wash blast. You can see the minor surface rust on rad support that will be fixed

Just an update as of today. So i found out the intake manifold that came with the imported Japanese engine doesnt have an egr port and since in needs to pass emissions i am using my stock 2g mani. Cleaned it a up with my throttle body and installed in on the head along with my fuel rail and fic 650 injectors. Ps. That red oil cap is temp to keep dust out
ybatugav.jpg

qyqymevu.jpg
u7abyqy5.jpg

I also got my HKS timing cover and am waiting for some good weather to anodize my cam gears (either red, black or silver). Also will be painting my exhaust and tranny when the sun comes out someday....

Yah its from a 4g63 out of a 98 eclipse gsx from Japan. I am noticing a few things different that i have to work around. The crank pully is a little different, some brackets, intake manifold, etc. hopefully wont run into any problems when i go to drop it in and connect the harness and what not

Lots done today. Got a lot of parts cleaned and painted which is making everything look new again and appealing. Here are a few pics
ubujy7ev.jpg

syvy3aje.jpg

jesuhahu.jpg
e4ezedes.jpg
memeje7y.jpg

VHT's 2000 degree high hear paint for the Magnaflow. Hope it will hold up (4 coats)...

My new front suspension components arrived as well and will be installed soon
ne8a3upy.jpg

Havent updated in a bit due to the site changeover and being unable to do so on my app i had. Anyways i am about a week or two away from dropping the engine as i am waiting for a flywheel to assemble the tranny... I purchased a bunch of things in the meantime that i am waiting on as well...
-Mishimoto Aluminum Rad w Slim Fans
-Slotted Rotars, Hawk Pads, GSX Calipers with braided lines
-Megan EZ Street Coilovers
-Braided fuel line from filter to rail
-Non Cruise throttle cable
-Braided clutch line
New OEM fuel filter, tranny seals, pivot ball, clutch retainer housing, etc...
-EVO 3 o2 housing
Think that is it but here is a few shots of the car and engine currently

Here descriptions to the pics i will upload eventually since i cant figure out this new format...

OEM Timing Belt on with new HKS cover
New control arms, joints, tie rods. Getting new OEM wheel bearings and axles
New Power Steering Rack
Rad Support
Engine Bay painted
Black Carpet

Last edited:
So Here are the pictures of the project finally as well as the new parts i have accumulated.

IMG_4501.JPG
Megan EZ Street Coils

image.jpg

New power steering rack

IMG_4465.JPG

OEM Wheel Bearing (bought both sides)

IMG_4466.JPG

EVO lll Turbo and o2 Housing (getting ceramic coated)

IMG_4500.JPG

ACT 7 Bolt Lightweight Flywheel

IMG_4504.JPG

Slim Fans 10" and 12"

IMG_4505.JPG

Non cruise Throttle Cable and Braided Clutch Line

IMG_4506.JPG

New Axles

IMG_4507.JPG

Slotted Rotars

IMG_4503.JPG

Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator

Last edited:
Here is the engine bay all ready for the Engine to be dropped in. Fixed the rust on the rad support and painted the bay with a Ford Duplicolor paint called Cayman Green and it was surprisingly almost 100% identical
IMG_4404.JPG
IMG_4426.JPG
IMG_4428.JPG
IMG_4431.JPG
IMG_4434.JPG
IMG_4436.JPG
IMG_4444.JPG
IMG_4449.JPG

New Suspension components in but this is my old wheel bearing not the new one and the coilovers weren't in this picture
IMG_4450.JPG

I decided to dye my carpet black while the car was apart and it turned out magnificent! (Rit Dye procedure and then touched up with duplicolor fabric)

IMG_4452.JPG
IMG_4463.JPG
IMG_4464.JPG
IMG_4508.JPG
IMG_4510.JPG

Here is the carpet before btw LOL :ohdamn:
IMG_4453.JPG

As for the rest of the day today I got the flywheel and clutch in and assembled the transmission and starter motor. Also was able to mount up the FMIC and i believe these are the first pictures of the timing belt on with the HKS cam cover and new oil cap:hellyeah:

IMG_4491.JPG
IMG_4512.JPG
IMG_4520.JPG
IMG_4521.JPG

I am planning on having the engine dropped in next weekend and hopefully running by the weekend after or earlier. I am currently waiting on my FP exhaust mani that is getting ceramic coated and the calipers are drying right now. Throughout the week i will just be doing some small things like installing the braided clutch line, coilovers, calipers, etc. Hopefully be on the road soon time as I am going through boost withdrawls.

The engine is dropped, everything hooked up and ready for the first start tonight or tomorrow. Here are a few more pictures and i will have a picture of the engine bay done as soon as the finishing touches are done

image.jpg

Coilovers and brakes picture. Cleaned up all wheel wells
image.jpg

A Thing of Beauty ready to be dropped in
image.jpg

A little underbody shot with PR FMIC installed
image.jpg

Gauges installed. Getting an aem volt gauge to match the aem wideband gauge for the right side of my new gauge cluster bezel

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back