The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

98 Eclipse RS Turbo conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonathanfl

Supporting VIP
Feb 20, 2014
orlando, Florida
So i was thinking last week i needed something to do since i finished my Avalanche and i had way to much time on my hands, so i spent three weeks trying to buy a decent shell. I had 4 cars in mind specifically for their engines and yes a 420a engine was one of the engines on the list. After being blown off a few times trying to buy a car by different people i was lucky enough to find this shell that looks like the kid who owned it had no clue how to take care of a car. So since last Thursday my research and ordering started.

Luckily the kid had gone through the suspension with adjustable suspension and he actually did it correctly. Ill have to get the names of everything after i start tearing down the front end and ill update.

2/25/14
-Cimotorsports:

Fidanza adjustable cam gear set
Sib pt cruiser style rocker arm set
Brian Crower stage 2 turbo grind camshaft ---------- FOR SALE
Arp main stud kit

2/28/14
-Cimotorsports:

Felpro Lower Gasket Kit Eclipse/Talon 420a
Prothane Complete Engine Mount Kit Eclipse/Talon 420a
PT Cruiser Style Lifter Set Eclipse/Talon/Neon 420a
Felpro Top End Gasket Kit Eclipse/Talon 420a

3/1/14
-Modern performance:

Pci mechanical conversion timing belt kit w/ gates racing belt

3/12/14
-Ci motorsports

Brian Crower stainless steel valve set +1mm
Sbi valve lock keeper set

-Amazon

Arp intake/ exhaust studs

3/13/14
-Treadstone performance

420a turbo kit (discontinued)
Turbonetics hybrid turbo 62-1 (63lbs min ar.63 oil cooled)
Tial Q 44mm waste gate w/ adapter
420a exhaust manifold ---------------------- SOLD
Trv 185 vertical inter cooler ------------ FOR SALE
Tial Q 50mm bov w/ adapter
3" Down pipe with dump tube
Air filter
Oil line kit, gaskets and hardware

3/13/14
-Brian crower

Intake and exhaust valve guide set

3/20/14

Crank scrapers with baffles

3/30/14
-ebay

Egr block off

3/30/14
-Modern Performance

MPx 60mm Throttle Body. ----------- SOLD
MPx IAC Manual Adjuster -----------SOLD

4/3/14
- www.xtremefabrications.com

Innovate LC-1 Wideband Gauge kit
Aeromotive A1000-6 EFI Fuel Pressure Regulator
Aeromotive Gauge, Fuel Pressure, 0-100 psi, 1 1/2 in
Aeromotive Fitting, Straight, Male -6 AN to Male -6 AN O-Ring 2
Aeromotive Fitting, External Hex Head Port Plug, -6 AN O-Ring 1
South Bend Clutch, non-modular dxd 6 puck clutch
ATI Super Damper Crankshaft Hamonic Balancer - Mitsubishi 420A
Xtreme Fabrications 420A Intake Manifold, 60mm, Polished
ARP Head Stud Kit, 420A
Fel-Pro MLS Headgasket, 420A, HD-0.10
Supertech Dual Valve Spring Kit with Titanium Retainer, 420A
Race-Series Tri-Metal Main & Rod Bearing Set, 420A
Supertech Valve Stem Seal Set
JE Piston & ProSeal Ring Set, 8.5:1 +0.020"
Eagle H-Beam Connecting Rods w/ ARP 2000 3/8" Bolts
MegaSquirt III EMS System - Custom Stand-alone

4/22/14
-www.xtremefabrications.com

XPS "Stage 4" Pro-Street Ported Cylinder Head Service
+ Corrections for 1mm O/S Valves
+ Replace Valve Guides
Port & Polish Intake Manifold Lower Runner Section
Port & Polish Turbocharger Turbine Housing
XPS Short Block Service - Balance & Blueprint
Long Block Conversion Service, Incl. Camshaft Degree
Xtreme Fabrications DSM 420A ProRace Turbo Manifold
Xtreme Fabrications DSM 420A ProRace Wastegate Dump Tube
XPS NV-T350 Stage 3 ProStreet Transaxle Rebuild Service
Quaife Limited Slip Differental
Driveshaft Shop 750HP Level 5 Axle / Hub kit, 2G/NT
Timing Cover - Inner
Timing Cover - outer
Oil pump, High Flow
Water Pump
Fuel Rail Modification, Cut/Weld -6AN fittings, Media Blast, Paint
Thermostat Housing, outer
Thermostat, 180 Degree
Radiator Fan, 12" Slim, Pusher
Aluminum Radiator (convert turbo to non-turbo)
Coolant Overflow Tank, Aluminum, 1 Pint, AN fittings
AN bradied hoses, hose ends, fittings for coolant overflow tank
Oil Catch Can, Aluminum 9est)
Valve Cover Modifications, install AN fittings, media blast, paint
AN braided hoses for oil catch can
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System w/ Dodge coil tower adapters

6/1/14

Gsx powder coated red calipers front and rear
Stainless steel break lines
Master and slave clutch cylinders
Master to slave clutch line black and ss ill decide later which one ill use
Evo X gsr wheels
Stock Front bumper

8/1/14
-www.xtremefabrications.com

Crower Stage 3 cams
Custom Front Mount Intercooler
Custom 3" Stainless Steel Exhaust
ARP Cam Tower Stud Set
Custom welded with v band IC piping

(Fuel system)

RC Engineering 1000cc Fuel Injector Set
Holley 255LPH HP Fuel Pump + Install Kit
Accel High Pressure External Fuel Pump
Custom Aluminum Bracket for External Fuel Pump & Filter
Aeromotive In-line Fuel Filter
Rubber Insulated Mounting Clamps for Fuel Filter
3/8 NPT Female Weld Bung 2
3/8 NPT to -6AN Coupling 90 Deg. Adapter 2
-6 Tube Sleeve, Nickle Plated 1
-6AN Tube Nut, Aluminum 1
-5 Tube Sleeve, Nickle Plated 1
-5AN Tube Nut, Aluminum 1
-6AN to -6AN Coupling, Straight, Male 1
-5AN to -6AN Coupling, Straight, Male 1
M10x1.0 to -6AN Adapter, Straight, Male 2
-6AN Hose End, Straight 10
-6AN Hose End, 90 Degree 4
-6AN Stainless Braided AN Hose, 20 ft.
Custom Aluminum Bracket for Fuel Pressure Regulator - Polished
Hardware, Chrome Spacers, Stainless Fasteners
Fuel Pump Rewire Kit

Finally 4/12/14 going to start pulling out the engine and get everything ready to get sent out to www.xtremefabrications.com for the machine work,Wicked excited!

Last edited:
Anyone else notice the 420a parts and 4g63 parts being used together or is there info I don't know...

Also as others have said, good luck with dsmgraveyard..

Thanks guys,

Never saw anything about dsm graveyard until now but i will be careful from this point on dealing with them. luckly i only ordered parts from them. I appreciate the heads up.

BK ill check that site out for parts, definitely want to get with you once my bottom end and head are done your journal was great.

Anyone else notice the 420a parts and 4g63 parts being used together or is there info I don't know...

Also as others have said, good luck with dsmgraveyard..

i did notice some 4g63 parts in the list too and was going to say something about it but i was refreshing my memory first to get the information right.

4g63 and 420a parts are not interchangeable. the pitons, for instance, are smaller in the 4g63 from the factory than the 420a pistons; the 420a piston is close to .110" larger than the factory 4g63 pistons.. the rods aren't interchangeable either since the rod journals are different sizes, the 4g63 uses a 1.771" journal on the crankshaft and the 420a engine is 2.008" which makes for .237" relative difference in size. as for the valve guides, the 4g63 uses a .260" thick valve stem and the 420a uses a thinner valve stem at .233" making a difference of .027" in size.

Thanks guys,

Never saw anything about dsm graveyard until now but i will be careful from this point on dealing with them. luckly i only ordered parts from them. I appreciate the heads up.

BK ill check that site out for parts, definitely want to get with you once my bottom end and head are done your journal was great.

Your welcome.

if you order from the site i gave you call and talk to rob in sales and he will help you with questions on parts and also match or beat any price of competing dealers/venders for the same part.

let me know when your ready to get together when your head and bottom end are ready. and i'm glad you liked my journal. and i do appoligize in advance for some of the cluttered messages of some members arguing back and forth.

Thanks guys, I saw that on the order as well. I called three times to verify before I ordered and i kept being told it was correct. I will call again as I wont be happy if they are the incorrect size when they show up.

Alright, I was like have I not known this for how long now. Can't wait to watch your progress though!

Ok talked to dsm and it was a computer error on the website, pistons will be 88mm and the correct rods and valve guides. Due to the wrong listing on email I had to cancel the sleeves because they could not make me a set that large. I am Glad I called about the pistons because I also changed the stock valves to oversized ones. Just bought some more parts and will slowly keep crossing things off the list that I need.

Again thanks everyone for that catch

Last edited:
Ok talked to dsm and it was a computer error on the website, pistons will be 88.5mm and the correct rods and valve guides. Due to the wrong listing on email I had to cancel the sleeves because they could not make me a set that large. I am Glad I called about the pistons because I also changed the stock valves to oversized ones. Just bought some more parts and will slowly keep crossing things off the list that I need.

Again thanks everyone for that catch

your welcome for the help and for catching that.

So after three weeks I've gotten in the mechanical tensioner cams and the arp intake/exhaust studs. Had some changes from who I was getting some parts from. luckily I have done so much research I already knew who had what in stock.

Now treadstone did discontinue the 420a turbo kit but luckily they had a few parts and were willing to keep the kit price for me as a base. I upgraded some of the components and came out a little higher in price but I'm thankful they did work with me to get this assembled. Props out to victor with treadstone performance.

As for dsm graveyard I ended up talking to the owner john (3 weeks after my order went in) some of the parts were still wrong, some of the items they could not get me, but he was able to fix the major components and I appreciate that. Hopefully I get this order so I can get the engine to the machine shop.

So 6 weeks later no parts from dsm graveyard, filed a complaint with the bbb sent out emails to the powers that be...

At least I can stare at all the parts that have come in while I wait for something to happen. Hopefully these parts come in or they return my money and I can order the parts from someone else... I knew this was a waiting game but geez.

On a good note... talked to XTREME Fabrications, Performance Services yesterday and will be getting everything else I need for my build next week. He even said he was willing to build my ms3 full stand alone system for me so I can toss the ecu. And cut out a whole lot of excess wiring. Wicked happy about this!

Picture day, when I can get photobucket to work ill post the pic here, but heres the link to the album.

Mobile Uploads Slideshow by jon_powers1 | Photobucket

Mobile%20Uploads

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 122
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
4/12-4/13
pulled the engine with the boy, finding what parts are beyond repair that i was unaware of. added more things to the list of parts i had to order and just had a fun weekend getting things situated.

Heres a bunch of random photos through the engine removal process.

Attachments

• image[9].jpg
    image[9].jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 138
  • image[8].jpg
    image[8].jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 137
  • image[7].jpg
    image[7].jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 135
  • image[6].jpg
    image[6].jpg
    49 KB · Views: 121
  • image[5].jpg
    image[5].jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 141
  • image[4].jpg
    image[4].jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 134
  • image[3].jpg
    image[3].jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 142
  • image[2].jpg
    image[2].jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 129
  • image[1].jpg
    image[1].jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 158
  • image[18].jpg
    image[18].jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 119
  • image[17].jpg
    image[17].jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 131
  • image[16].jpg
    image[16].jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 120
  • image[15].jpg
    image[15].jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 120
  • image[14].jpg
    image[14].jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 126
  • image[13].jpg
    image[13].jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 116
  • image[12].jpg
    image[12].jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 133
  • image[11].jpg
    image[11].jpg
    50 KB · Views: 113
  • image[10].jpg
    image[10].jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 138
  • image[19].jpg
    image[19].jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 131
lookin good man, looks like you got things coming along nicely. btw if those heater core pipes look all clogged like they are i wouldnt be surprised if the heater core was clogged up too.

I have not even looked at the heater core im assuming its junk and will be replacing it. Those lines actually were looped together, the rubber hose was actually pinched in a v shape. The thermostat housing disintegrated when I tried to remove the rubber line, so a new housing is on order with custom black steel braided lines for the new heater core. Plan is by the end of the week have everything shipped out for the machine work and upgrades / paint. Wicked excited to see how it all comes out when everything comes back!

Nice!!! this gives me Motivation!!!! Summer around the corner here. Keep updating!!!

Nice!!! this gives me Motivation!!!! Summer around the corner here. Keep updating!!!

Thanks, cam gears finally arrived Saturday 4/26/14. everything made it to the machine shop safely Thursday 5/1/14. Ill upload some pictures of the palate of parts sent and cam gears. Now at this point its pretty much wait for everything to be paid off and work to be done.

I should have it all back in a few months as I had some unexpected issues with the drive train and needed to have those items upgraded (which is why its going to take longer than I expected). Ill post pictures as I get them through the machine work other than that im sure I wont have much to post. :cry:

So 6 weeks later no parts from dsm graveyard, filed a complaint with the bbb sent out emails to the powers that be...

At least I can stare at all the parts that have come in while I wait for something to happen. Hopefully these parts come in or they return my money and I can order the parts from someone else... I knew this was a waiting game but geez.

On a good note... talked to XTREME Fabrications, Performance Services yesterday and will be getting everything else I need for my build next week. He even said he was willing to build my ms3 full stand alone system for me so I can toss the ecu. And cut out a whole lot of excess wiring. Wicked happy about this!

I saw this comming

Its been a while since I have given an update but as of today my entire power plant system is completed. I still have the fuel system, suspension, wire tuck, gauges, and gauges inside the car to do.

Eventually ill post some pictures LOL

cant wait to see the pictures man. hope everything is going good for you.

So it's been 3yrs and almost 6mo since I started shelling out a ton of money to make this car happen. I decided to have Doug at Xtreme Performance do the work due to the amount of investment I had into this build. Well car should have been done over a year ago, it's been excuses after excuses and as of lately (the past few months) I can't even get a response back from him.

Last I heard (months ago) was after the last issues he had the engine was being reassembled then tuned (I still don't have my car). This is more of a caution to others, I didn't want to go this route but I'm at the point where I feel I've been had for a fool. I guess the next steps are taking legal action.

I truly was looking forward to this build....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back