The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

90 GSX Daily Driver

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuckFatrina

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Mandeville, Louisiana
About 2 years ago I bought a panda 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX for $400 in Alabama. Wasn't running and was a complete POS. However, I felt I could save the car and thus began a 2 year build to get the car up to my standards. My goals for this car are to have a car around the 350hp range and make it into a daily driver. The beginning of the journal will just be a quick recap of all the things I’ve done. Once I start building it in a few weeks I will have more detailed information and pictures. The car has 143,000 miles, has no a/c, and a manual steering rack.

Here are some pictures when I first picked it up.
dsmfront.jpg

2011-09-11_11-17-11_576.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg

IMG_3781.jpg

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3768.jpg

Found 3 Bibles under the driver's seat
IMG_3752.jpg

Wiring was shot as you can see so I had to hunt down a new harness
IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3728.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

After getting it to my house, I started tearing down the interior to clean it.
IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

After taking out the rear speakers I found this. Made me laugh.
IMG_3873.jpg

One downside of having a sunroof, the leaks. Water has been pooling up behind the driver's seat for some time and caused a lot of rust. Most of it was surface rust which I took off but the area around the seat bracket was too far gone. So I cut it out and cut out a section from a parts car to replace it. I still haven't welded the piece in but it's on the list.
IMG_3854.jpg

After a couple months I picked up some parts off other DSM owners to get the car together.
IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

The original driver's seat was rusted and was nasty so I picked up a leather one from a local.
IMG_4046.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg

Everything was fine and dandy until a tapping sound started. I through it was just the lifters at first but after a closer inspection it wasn't. The balance shaft bearing decided to call it quits and I found it in the bottom of the oil pan. Wasn't really surprised though because I rushed to get the car running and didn't do a full inspection. All the reason to rebuild the engine though! This is when the build officially started and I began to buy parts like crazy.
IMG_4050-1.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0178-1.jpg

Sent off my parts to Dale in P-cola for the machine work. Nothing fancy. Just the basics, hone, deck the block, rebuild the head, BC springs, polish the crank, check the rods, etc.
Block next to a future coffee table block.
dd737b30-6a82-4255-be5f-48b901afa26e_zpsa31fd1bc.jpg

For the past couple months I've just been hoarding parts. Once I get everything together I'll start building the engine and everything else. A lot of people have asked why I bought so many things when I could have just reused old parts. Well I feel that if I'm going through the effort of making this car into a DD, I'm going to do it right the first time. It's hard enough to see the car sit for so long, so I won't let it happen again!

What I have sitting in my room:

Punishment Racing FMIC
ACL Rod/Main Bearings
ARP Headstuds
OEM Heater Hoses
OEM Radiator Hoses
OEM Knock Sensor
OEM Crank Pulley
OEM Alternator Belt
OEM Crankshaft Sprocket for BSE
OEM Balance Shaft Cap
OEM Balance Shaft Stud
OEM Front Case w/ Gears
OEM Oil Strainer
OEM Rear Main Seal
OEM Brake/Clutch Pedals
Southbend Clutch SS/TZ
STM Oil Cooler
Jacks Trans 1.1
OEM Oil Squirter Banjo Bolt x4
OEM Timing Belt Kit
OEM Slave Cylinder
OEM Tie Rod x2
OEM Complete Gasket Set
OEM Clutch Pivot Ball
OEM Clutch Release Clip
OEM Throwout Bearing
OEM Clutch Release Boot
Extreme PSI Slave to Master Clutch Line
OEM Flywheel Bolts x6
OEM PCV Valve
OEM Clutch Fork
OEM 190* Thermostat
Punishment Racing 3" Downpipe
OEM Starter Plate
Topline Lifters
Jay Racing Pulley Preload
OEM Piston Rings
OEM Timing Belt Lower Cover
OEM Thermostat Housing
OEM Coolant Temp Sensor
OEM Water Temp Sensor
KYB Front/Rear Struts
Jay Racing Cam Gear Tool
Extreme PSI Timing Belt Tensioner Tool
FuelLab 818 Fuel Feed Kit
1GB 2 Piston Calipers
Autometer Boost/Vac Gauge
Innovate Wideband
OEM Flywheel Inspection Cover
OEM Oil Filter Housing
OEM Water Pump
OEM Clutch Master Cylinder
Forced Performance Manifold w/ Coating
OEM Axle Bracket Spacer
Prothane Engine Mounts
JNZ Stainless Brake Lines

Still have a lot more to buy

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't foam. It was some sponges and a pink towel LOL. Ordered some more stuff today. Also picked up a 30gal air compressor from my girlfriend's house to use. $500 savings right there :thumb:

Purchased today:
Redline Assembly Lube
OEM Turbo Coolant Feed/Return
OEM 14mm Banjo Bolts
14mm Crush Washers
OEM Valve Cover
Redline Shockproof Lightweight
Redline MT90
OEM Crank Pulley Bolt/ Washer
OEM Timing Trigger Plate
OEM Rear Hatch Struts
OEM Block to Head Dowels
OEM Block to Tranny Dowels
OEM Block to Front Case Dowels
OEM Rear Case Dowels
NGK Plugs BPR6ES
OEM Starter
OEM Oil Cap Gasket

Now I just need figure out my exhaust situation, find a MHI EVO 3 16g, get rotors/pads, and an o2 housing, and I can start putting it together.

Bought some more goodies:

Walbro 190
OEM Oil Pressure Sending Unit
OEM Oil Pressure Sensor
Vibrant Performance Streetpower Muffler with 3" Inlet
STM EGR Delete Flange
STM Fuel Pump Rewire Kit
STM Shifter Bearings
STM SS Valve Cover Bolts
Energy Suspension Control Arm Bushings

Also ordered some tools from Summit, so once those come in later this week, I can start cleaning everything and begin the building process. And I can start taking some pictures!

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll306/kuckfatrina/DSM/IMG_3854.jpg[/IMG]

Wow. Good luck fixing it!

I have a small leak that I cant find for the life of me. Its coming from the center tail light section between the 2 tail lights but I cant figure out exactly where and its leaking into the rear hatch.

I used an air compressor and blew air into the 4 holes at the corner of the sunroof to clear the tubes. So far it seems like its fixed it.

It could just be that the seals for the lights are old and brittle and letting water into the back. What I did is sit in the car and have someone spray water onto the car and watch where the water enters. Gives you an idea of where it comes from.

I used an air compressor and blew air into the 4 holes at the corner of the sunroof to clear the tubes. So far it seems like its fixed it.

It could just be that the seals for the lights are old and brittle and letting water into the back. What I did is sit in the car and have someone spray water onto the car and watch where the water enters. Gives you an idea of where it comes from.

Yeah I will give that a try. Which seals are you talking about? The seal around the outside of the center light? How would you fix that?

Bet you had tons of fun heading to yards for all of that interior parts .... !

What's fun in working on project cars is the "gold" out at the yards to be had for cheap !

Oh yes. Haven't been to one in awhile, but last time I went there I bought way too much stuff.

Gold as in interior trim clips and shifter bushings LOL.

Yeah I will give that a try. Which seals are you talking about? The seal around the outside of the center light? How would you fix that?

There are seals around each light. Over time they get brittle. Atleast mine are after so many years and being taken off constantly. I can take some pictures tomorrow if I remember. I was just going to get some RTV since I doubt they sell them anymore.

Haven't had any picture updates for awhile so I figure I'd post one of my stockpile.
29873e7d-aceb-4eb3-9dc7-3bbfef514458_zpsc9d77314.jpg

There are seals around each light. Over time they get brittle. Atleast mine are after so many years and being taken off constantly. I can take some pictures tomorrow if I remember. I was just going to get some RTV since I doubt they sell them anymore.

That would be awesome man. I've been trying to trace down the leak for a while now.

That would be awesome man. I've been trying to trace down the leak for a while now.

Been busy with school but I will get some pictures for you and PM them to you.

More updates. Picked up a MHI Big 16g and a Punishment Racing SS O2 housing. Will start cleaning the block tomorrow and begin checking ring gap and clearances tomorrow. Pics will be taken.

1c0a75d2-d6ff-45f5-8454-4d09bd612512_zps9cd92b51.jpg

Been busy with school but I will get some pictures for you and PM them to you.

More updates. Picked up a MHI Big 16g and a Punishment Racing SS O2 housing. Will start cleaning the block tomorrow and begin checking ring gap and clearances tomorrow. Pics will be taken.

1c0a75d2-d6ff-45f5-8454-4d09bd612512_zps9cd92b51.jpg

No worries. Thanks dude. I still havent found the leak LOL. I appreciate your help.

BTW, nice turbo. Id be running a 16g if I had the extra coin for the turbo, fuel system, and link.

Picked up some more goodies:

Mishimoto aluminum radiator
PTE 780cc injectors
OEM O2 sensor
2g MAF with 2g/1g adapter
FP Intake
7cm turbo to manifold gasket
TB gaskets

Besides just buying more parts, I cleaned the block 3 times. Cleaner the better!
86937897-9b60-41f3-b315-fce8c27b77ad_zpsd4dc5271.jpg

Also went to the local junkyard with a buddy of mine to look at a 90 talon. Turns out it had a built block and a bunch of other goodies. I didn't need much from that car because I've basically bought everything but I couldn't resist one thing... Cyclone IM! For $30! With all the required parts!

aced5615-b2f8-4938-b229-21298995b21d_zpsa1f52a2f.jpg

Starting cleaning the rods/pistons and the crank. Had to stop after that due to my neighbors not liking me using my loud ass air compressor past 10pm. Tomorrow I'll be able to start putting stuff together. Finally.

54173cf7-799e-4048-83d5-31f7af9acacf_zps510df827.jpg

Using my final Spring Break to its full capacity. Did my final cleaning using denatured alcohol and coffee filters on the bearings surfaces. Checked all the clearances using red Plasti Gauge and all came out to about .002. (Bogus already mic'd the crank which also came out perfect) All within the standard value and limits listed in the FSM. Used some Redline assembly lube and my Brownline 1/2" digital torque wrench (which is amazing) to torque the main bolts to 49 ft/lbs. Also installed the new oil squirters and bolts with new crush washers. Next up is the pistons.

Also having a local come by tomorrow to weld up the donor piece I cut out a long time ago to replace the section of rust behind the driver's seat.

Progress comes fast when there is actually time. If photobucket actually worked I'd post more pictures but it was pissing me off.

da0dd5dc-ed48-41f3-9125-afdf432b1399_zps88607e60.jpg

6d6ca68d-0321-4b47-86a9-40f469b362e0_zps891492e5.jpg

Last edited:
Short block is now assembled. And hole in floor is patched up. Unfortunately progress is stopped until I get a 3/8th torque wrench and finish the semester. Graduation May 17th! Woot!

63082340-eab9-41a6-890f-828be327180b_zpsa562991d.jpg

Picked up a Snap On torque wrench a while ago as a gift to myself for graduating, and have been busy with the engine. Front case was put together with BSE and oil pump packed with vaseline, oil pan was put on, water pump on.. etc. Next step is to put the head on with some ARP studs. I primed and bled the lifters tonight so once the head is on I will start putting everything together. Then I can time it and put all the other goodies on.

Head is on and complete with lifters, rocker arms, and cams. Was going to time it tonight but the idler pulley is different than the one that came on the car and requires a shorter bolt. So timing will have to wait until next week. Also before the turbo goes on I will need to port it so I'm waiting on a die grinder to borrow to port it. Intake manifold is on though. as well as engine mounts.

How was driving it with the manual rack ? I'm looking to get one and wondering if the miata-mod and 2.5 turns is better than a reman'd manual rack with 4.x turns ?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back