The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

SLEEP THIS 10 sec fwd tame the beast

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toppertopper

10+ Year Contributor
May 14, 2009
edmonton, AB_Canada
Brother picked this up 2 years ago ,1994 eagle talon fwd, fresh rebuild (had no proof) fmic , 3' exhaust , maft and maf , with bov, 16g,kyb gtr2 suspension ..Wouldn't go into gear $600 no body damage $300 for tow 3 hours away
Pulled the trans off found out the act clutch spring fell out and master was leaking (found out it had a n/t transmission)
Brother has me put in an center force dual friction clutch in, along with a master and slave ..Well that lasted 100kms , thats when the drivers fender got kicked a bunch of times ...Thats when i was given the car :hellyeah:

I then installed and act 2600 clutch , shortly after the break in ...I dumped the clutch for a launch ... :nono: no more clutch limped it home at 5km's

After that i ordered and act 6 puck unsprung race disk , paired that with the act 2600 pp and it held up :thumb:

Finally i decided it was time to start building a talon for the track and stop playing on the streets ,

Bought:
Wideband , dsmlink , rc 750 cc injectors , walbro 255 fuel pump

Had a problem with starting..changed spark plugs,wires, relays ,fuses , went thru lots of shiiit , not sure how or what fixed it...

Next up , :aha: stretched water pump bolts , and blew the head-gasket ..Ripped the head off got new pump and bolts , new timing components , ahh the fun .I did find out it was a fresh rebuild , oil port mod , port and polish :thumb: ..Not sure of the bottom end stuff yet

Installed the wideband , dsmlink , rc 750 cc injectors , 255 fuel pump with rewire mod

Had a local dsm'er come do a basic car running tune (BIG THANKS TO DANNY :hellyeah: ) (someone stole my house phone dialed 911 and tossed it in a bush,Cops show up had to make sure all was good, HOLY SHIT 1st time meeting the guy to ROFL )

Next up , noise coming from trans tob sound ..Pull the trans off toss in a oem tob (THANKS TO G-FORCE), after i put it in i toss on new ball joints and cv joints .
Last day for street legals was coming up fast and G-FORCE stayed on me to finish , tossed it together still the same noise :banghead: ...Was not going to go,the never been to a track jitters ..But G-FORCE txted me to go , finally got off my ass ripped out to the track ..Bald front tires (will get pics)

Note: Once i got the car i put maybe 500-750 km's on it , tossed lots of money into fixing everything ...The things we do for these babys :talon:

All runs were on 7-10 psi no more -4500 RPM rev limiter , bald front tires

1st run got excited spun to 3rd for a 16 sec pass :notgood:
2nd run spun to 3rd for 14 sec pass (still excited feeling the rush :hellyeah: )
3rd run 14.3
was going to leave , let the car cool down for close to an hour with fans on decided to do 2 more runs , run or blow was my thoughts , last run of the year!!

4th run was 13.5's .. Stayed calm eased into the launch
5th run 13.1 ...I told my self 2 runs no more,.. i left after i let it cool down

Started ripping out the interior back to front , will be finishing this before spring.

Winter time came , and i came across a hx35 :hmm: picked it up and decided to upgrade all over winter

Bought
valve cover and new valve cover gasket hx35 , rc 1600 cc injectors ,Turbonetics T3 Cast Exhaust Manifold (real not the ebay knock offs) ---Pics of all will come soon

Next to buy
innovative lc-2 , 38mm TiAL F38 wastegate. , new mbc , afpr ,qtp slicks , and get an 02 housing fabbed to exhaust

Attachments

• DSCN0445.jpg
    DSCN0445.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 957
  • DSCN0446.jpg
    DSCN0446.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 948
  • DSCN0447.jpg
    DSCN0447.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 947
  • DSCN0448.jpg
    DSCN0448.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 924
Quick post to this
Installed manifold and hx35 , had to dent the water pipe some ..Pulled it off found a friend of a friend to port the hx35 and sand blast it ,..just waiting for that to be done at the end of the week
Also picked up the hx35 5 bolt - dsm flange 02 housing , 38mm waste gate , 4 an oil feed from ofh and fittings,some high temp heat wrap for the 4an oil feed line , hx35 flange and 10an 45 degree push flange and high temp hose for it ..And a fpr :hellyeah: pics will come soon

All that is left is a 4" filter , 4" boost leak tester ,..Of course some slicks and crank the boost and get it tuned

Working on getting some sponsors also , may be getting new fenders , lexan back window , as well as non power windows ...

Nice drop in times for one night, experience :) GL on the 10 sec in a FWD, though. It'll take a fair bit of cash and patience. Expect things to start breaking one by one because you won't get the AWD launch so you'll have to make up for it in brute power. You'll find all the weak points. Going from 14 to 13 is nothing like going from 11 to 10.

How did it toast two clutches back to back like that when it's a FWD, not high powered, and those clutches have been proven to handle much more than they were given on an awd?

Dont listen to "sordid" he has no clue what he's talking about. Just because you can't launch a fwd doesn't mean others can't! I can launch mine just as good as most awd guys and in some cases better (1.7 60'!!) :) and We all know a certain 1g fwd cutting 1.5 60' and running 10's on a tiny 14b LOL! Another 2g fwd running 10's cutting 1.6-1.7 60'! 10's in a fwd is very doable and doesn't take a ton of cash and you won't break parts left and right if you know how to drive! I think that guy needs to spend more time searching the forums than talking about things he has no clue about! ;)

hahaha. I love the guys who havn't run 10's telling people how easy it is. True it's not really that hard, but it ain't going to happen overnight, and your going to break some shit on the way.

Lol I love the jerks that don't know shit about people acting like they do haha!! Ya in my personal car I havnt because our track isn't open yet!! I almost hit 11's with a small 16g and basic bolt ons and would have if my motor hadn't let go finally, so I'm very confident in my new setup to run 10's pretty easy!! And I've helped build and tune a few 10's cars and faster (8000hp rail dragster running high 4's @ over 300mph) in my life so I do know what it takes guy! More than mr. canada over there!

Lol I love the jerks that don't know shit about people acting like they do haha!! Ya in my personal car I havnt because our track isn't open yet!! I almost hit 11's with a small 16g and basic bolt ons and would have if my motor hadn't let go finally, so I'm very confident in my new setup to run 10's pretty easy!! And I've helped build and tune a few 10's cars and faster in my life so I do know what it takes guy! More than mr. canada over there!

Big difference between almost hitting 11's and running a 10. Big difference.

Lol whatever guy!! Just because you had a hard time doesn't mean I will bro! I plan to skip right over 11's with my new setup! And I can already cut better 60' times than you!! Haha so what you got to say to that mr I think I know it all! NOT!! Anyway stop arguing with me in this guys build thread!!

looking good so far, keep it up and you will be there in no time. I t really is all about driving the car, getting it to hook, and keeping the tires from not spinning. On my old 20g set up (12.5) it took a couple track days to get the launch how I wanted it then it would barely spin at all. Then when switching to the hx40, I thought I could use the same tactics, but no. Every set up is different and every set up will have a different power band. Know your set up, feel the car and you'll do just fine. My car now is completely gutted, 5 gal cell, kirky seat, no dash etc, running a gt4202 set up and I know what it capable of, but it all comes down the driving it, launching it and keeping the tires from spinning before the 330 and then being able to pull hard all the way to the 1320 without mis shifting, or something going wrong and then you'll have the pass your looking for. I recently purchased a 90 laser rst with 86k and its stock and that thing still brakes traction in 1-2.

I think the best advice I can give for now is to not get too excited, be calm and don't worry about the end result, focus on getting the car to go for one, then to not spin, and gun it when you feel its going to stay on the ground.

Other then that, what fuel are you planning to run?? are you going for a certain weight to be achieved before race day? Are you planning on upgrading your axles (1Gs are really small). Also good luck with getting sponsors bro, it has been very hard for me and my car is a full out fwd drag car and I still to this day have not gotten one sponsor. I still haven't given up hope, but I know it probably wont happen.

Anyhow, enough blabbering, good luck on your build and if you have a question just ask or PM me for anything.

God bless,
Anthony B.

Lol whatever guy!! Just because you had a hard time doesn't mean I will bro! I plan to skip right over 11's with my new setup! And I can already cut better 60' times than you!! Haha so what you got to say to that mr I think I know it all! NOT!! Anyway stop arguing with me in this guys build thread!!

haha, your right I did work hard to get my car in the 10's. However I'm doing it in a heavy AWD on a turbo that most guys barely get in the 12's with.

Lol I love the jerks that don't know shit about people acting like they do haha!! Ya in my personal car I havnt because our track isn't open yet!! I almost hit 11's with a small 16g and basic bolt ons and would have if my motor hadn't let go finally, so I'm very confident in my new setup to run 10's pretty easy!! And I've helped build and tune a few 10's cars and faster (8000hp rail dragster running high 4's @ over 300mph) in my life so I do know what it takes guy! More than mr. canada over there!

Seriously why do you always act like you know more then others? Because you just sound like a arrogant prick. And what's almost hitting 11's? 12.4 isn't almost hitting the 11's FYI:ohdamn:

And to the OP, good luck with your goals:thumb:

Thanks everyone
Went thru all the clutches once i hit break in period ..I dump the clutch like it owes me money , i put them to work and none have held up besides the act 6 puck unsprung race disk , the act 6 puck i gave maybe 30kms to track break in (the act 6 puck is the only one i tracked)
I also found out the reason i only got 7psi down the track was big hole right before the wg , and the wg was stuck open (toss it on my brothers car and found out fast)
I know stuff will be breaking ,..Transmission will be the 1st to let go i have a turbo flywheel , act 2900 pp ready ordering another act 6 puck unsprung race disk soon ..axles and engine are next on the list to let go (crossing my fingers the 2 hold together and dont snap , or blow ...
2 sponsors i have lined up are only because family know the owners , most sponsors wont go for us little guys its a shame

Fwd work much better when you slip the clutch alittle bit more, so I try to find a disc and pp that will take that abuse alittle more. But every car and setup is different and it just takes you finding all the sweet spots, when and how to launch and what rpm's to shift at and so on.

I have no issue finding the sweet spot but...I like to beat the shit out of a clutch everyone says this clutch holds this much power ...But i think and have proven that , that is bullshit if you baby a clutch , it will hold anything ...Toss real power and abuse to it and it will not hold up...At the track some will hold because of the light play of clutch peddle ...Put real abuse to them and make your wallet cry from the bs specs ...If anyone disagrees , post proof of beating it ...

i will grab my videos of beating a clutch , Why ...If you cant beat a clutch for fun it has no use being beat on a track

First and for most you need to learn how to drive. You dont "dump" the clutch, be it fwd or awd. Im surprised you havent broken any trannys from wheel hop.

Second you need to stop saying a clutch can only hold this or its no good if you beat on it. You are making yourself look like an idiot and giving dsmers a bad name by abusing your car.

Someone thats smart doesnt constantly abuse the drivetrain by overheating/shocking the trans/clutch from hot laps and clutch dumps.

Have fun with all that guy LOL! And id rather not go to the track looking to destroy things. My cars take enough abuse from me racing them no need to add to it when its not necessary. Your clutch outcomes speak for itself bro. Plenty of us have act 2100-2600-2900 street disc to puck style and have no issues getting the power down run after run. I drive my car pretty hard and probably go thru a clutch disc every other season or every season if we are racing a lot. Id rather spend money replacing the clutch than my trans or other driveline parts. Most of us have a goal to run consistant and fast runs for more than one pass. It's not babying it, but what's the use of a car you can never run because your changing the clutch all the time. I bet if the o.p. changed his driving style just alittle and learned the way to slip the clutch on the launch. Your clutchs would last way longer and you'd have way more time slips in your pocket for bragging proof! Lol

Last edited:
Have fun with all that guy LOL! And id rather not go to the track looking to destroy things. My cars take enough abuse from me racing them no need to add to it when its not necessary. Your clutch outcomes speak for itself bro. Plenty of us have act 2100-2600-2900 street disc to puck style and have no issues getting the power down run after run. I drive my car pretty hard and probably go thru a clutch disc every other session or every session if we are racing a lot. Id rather spend money replacing the clutch than my trans or other driveline parts. Most of us have a goal to run consistant and fast runs for more than one pass. It's not babying it, but what's the use of a car you can never run because your changing the clutch all the time. I bet if the o.p. changed his driving style just alittle and learned the way to slip the clutch on the launch. Your clutchs would last way longer and you'd have way more time slips in your pocket for bragging proof! Lol

If he has the money then he can get a clutch to take the abuse, then upgrade everything that breaks so it can too, and still have the kind of fun he wants to have. :thumb:

I have no issue finding the sweet spot but...I like to beat the shit out of a clutch everyone says this clutch holds this much power ...But i think and have proven that , that is bullshit if you baby a clutch , it will hold anything ...Toss real power and abuse to it and it will not hold up...At the track some will hold because of the light play of clutch peddle ...Put real abuse to them and make your wallet cry from the bs specs ...If anyone disagrees , post proof of beating it ...

i will grab my videos of beating a clutch , Why ...If you cant beat a clutch for fun it has no use being beat on a track

Brother was over last night he posted that , hes dumb that's why i own the car!!!

This is a track on vehicle so i won't be beating the shit out of the clutch i have to learn how to slip it better .The last thing i want to be doing is a clutch when i can be racing

Also for the gas looking into running race gas , don't know much about it yet but that is the route i will be going

Last edited:
Oh haha, well sounds like your off to a good start. Practice and practice is your best bet. Seat time is the key to best ETs. Look at all these guys running Holset making 500+awhp only getting mid to high 11s, it's all about the driver bro. And weight to power ratio, but mostly driver. Like the 14b record is held by a fwd car, not because it's super light or because it's making 300+fwhp, but because that man can drive his car. A lot of people down talk FWD cars like they are not made or are impossible to go fast, but that is not true. If you can drive you can go fast. Well you need money too haha but you know what I mean.

Look at kiggly, the man is moving running 8.2 fwd. He is making good power, but not 1000hp like these others only running around the same time. I believe his car dynoed around 750-825 or something like that, don't quote me but I know it's in that range. Me and him have talked on the phone a couple times and he has told me a few things that I will keep a secret LOL, and he knows I'm going after his time and he still talked to me and gave me lots of info, I have much respect for him.

If your serious about racing and getting good time keeping it fwd then a note pad, pen, and the internet is your best friend right now. Research what works and research what doesn't. You don't want to have a clutch that's holding the power your making, but on the edge of its power holding range. You want it to not have to work to its full ability to hold the power, it is kinda like injector duty cycle. You don't want a set of injectors that are at 90+IDC, you want injectors to be in good range to not risk failure. I hope you get what I'm trying to say, I'm not trying to compare a clutch to IDC, but trying to get you to see what I mean.

Anyhow, enough blabbering, if you have any questions please feel free to ask, be it here on the thread or Pm me. Good luck with your build and god bless.

Anthony B.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back