The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

From 0 to midnight 95 eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ejanes

Proven Member
Jan 10, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Hey guys and gals, long time jdm fan, had a couple gs eclipses in the past, starting a new project tomorrow

1995 eclipse gs with a gst swap
60k miles on the swap "so I'm told"

Body is absolutely horrible

Pics later, I'm at work still but couldn't help myself

Ok now that I am off work...

So, been lurking on a few forums and checking Craigslist daily for a new project now that I sold my 1969 Datsun 510 wagon, flipped a few cars (325i, gs eclipse, starion fat boy) but have been looking for a real project to work on with my twin sons now that they are a little bit older.

I was originally looking for an s14 240sx but as I was hunting cl Portland I found what I think is a true diamond in the rough. Contacted the owner and worked out a screaming deal.

1995 gs with a full gst swap, it appears to have been done right, runs really well and only has about 60k on the rebuilt 4g64 motor.

The bad part is that their are no fenders, the body is in horrible condition, interior is pretty rice.

I go to pick her up tomorrow, I'm told she has ce pistons, eagle rods, p&p head, and running with a rebuilt stock gst turbo, hopefully it will be a thousand dollars well spent.

Good thing I know how to do body work LOL

1B8AAC4B-5187-425F-8634-13993D597708.jpg

38D0D61F-4327-45B3-82A2-3FECEEA0D54C.jpg

2FBE4930-8DD9-46FA-A7EB-9A4BA0EACA09.jpg

32BA3EE1-C876-436B-9FC7-C6F7AC948707.jpg

So this is the 0 stage, hopefully within the year I'll be around midnight

Watcha guys and gals think?

Oops typo it's a 4g63t sorry. Fat infers on an iPhone :face palm:

While the body looks like it needs attention, seems to really just need primer/paint...with a few surface spots of rust sanded away. You probably lucked out on the fenders to be honest...they probably were those horrid aftermarket ones the dent if you breathe funny on them. While getting a decent interior is always nice, you can get complete interiors on here for pretty cheap.

That body kit though...while not my cup of tea...looks pretty serviceable, if you are into it.

I always figure as long as engine is solid, everything else is secondary....sure it make take time to get it done...but that's what projects are for!!

Picked up the car today, the title says it's a 96, motor sounded good but a a little bit of a wavey idle and a little black smoke, prev owner said the gas is getting around a year old and had 1/2 tank, so we put some super in it.

will be draining the tank, changing the maf, and fuel filter.

It was boosting around 3k rpm and holds what looks like a stock 12lbs.

More pics after the wife leaves, she has been giving me crap all day

21582172-7593-46EC-B1F5-B9E0FDF69414.jpg

C9DCBDD6-7932-4ACC-81C0-FACFA8635CCD.jpg

Lol
363861B2-B2FA-434E-B139-F686711C6A19.jpg

It came with some rather cheese tastic side skirts, and a full set of 16" konig rims " same as the read passenger side rim in the last pic.

Has a few dents the body really isn't to bad, just needs to be stripped, pull a couple, bondo and sand, finishing mud and sand, 3 prime and sands, then paint.

Anyone know where I can find some used fenders in Portland or for less that 85$ a peice?

It's was a pretty funny drive, my buddy mike was driving and I was following in my 350z, people kept taking pics and pointing and laughing, but we will see who laughs in the end...

An evil kind of laugh

Muahahahahaha!!!!!!

I think who ever did the swap lived her and did a great job, but who ever attempted this body work must have been trained by Helen Keller...

Can't wait to get started...

More pics, she is pretty rough but I could only find one real dent...
A4B6E93C-AB88-4856-81D7-F36345488EEE.jpg

0E883646-D8DE-4040-B439-6BC0FF830F09.jpg

80200553-5EC2-4C6E-ACD1-BF66A367A87F.jpg

8238B237-A5C0-4BA8-BECE-DA7EC1DA126C.jpg

EDF117D7-C1AC-49D5-A04B-AE5942C545BA.jpg

70701D3F-9364-49BA-AA45-091BE2545D44.jpg

AC622BF9-9875-4336-8E8C-1715F1EDEB32.jpg

Went in to start her up again and nothing. Lights and heater still work so il check the starter wire and ground... Yep lose ground :)

Well the title and the vin# are the same and the title says gs.

When at mid throttle she is fine, but if I try to push her she sputters pretty dam bad, seems like she is starving and not getting proper fuel delivery, I really need to drain the tank and change the fuel filter, might take the o2 sensor out and make sure it's clean and functioning as well.

She even has the stock gst side mount ic

Last edited:
Well the title and the vin# are the same and the title says gs.

When at mid throttle she is fine, but if I try to push her she sputters pretty dam bad, seems like she is starving and not getting proper fuel delivery, I really need to drain the tank and change the fuel filter, might take the o2 sensor out and make sure it's clean and functioning as well.

She even has the stock gst side mount ic

Yea i wouldn't be to worried about that yet, once you empty out the old fuel and change the filter it should be like new. with 1 year old fuel its a miracle it started. ;)

I did check in the 3 vin# locations so unless they swapped all the vin#'s it's a near perfect gs to gst swap. It looks like someone had really big plans for this car at one time, my goal is making her reliable first, then adding some small tasteful mods and getting the body to look pretty tits.

Can't wait to start the body work on this car, waiting for a car to sell to make room in the garage before I can take it down and get started

Drove her for coffee this morning and she ran perfect for about 25 minutes, then at full throttle started sputtering again so I am pretty sure it's the filter. She is acting like all the crap settles in the bottom of the filter and then once she is driven for a bit the crap re clogs the filter and she starts starving for fuel, I have seen this problem before on countless classic and Jim builds

Got the garage all cleaned out and ready for the gst to go in, hunting down fenders, going to look at some this weekend.

Sold all my old Datsun parts :( I miss that old 510 already but hey, very excited for the turbo eclipse build :), can't wait to start

I have read about some pretty inspiring "and horrific" builds on the forum, hope I do not run into so many troubles, but thankfully I have pretty good Jdm experience of building and fixing, it's my first 4g63t motor but I have already built a couple of them with some friends, unfortunately I have a 7bolt but if the previous
owner wasn't full of shit it only has about 60k miles on a full bottom end and head build, we will see when the valve cover comes off this weekend.

But first and foremost I need fenders, I can deal with the crappy body kit, but its not legal to drive in Oregon with out fenders so that has to be done first thing ASAP, I don't even care what condition they are in sense I will be doing full body work on this bi***. So if anyone in the nw region has any I can snag please let me know ASAP.

Thx team.

Went to my local junk yard and found some perfect fenders. While pulling fenders I noticed a little something
25E92C7C-FBCD-4CEB-B60A-5DC0DCECB3B4.jpg

That's right ladies and gents, full 2gen gsx rear diff, tank "bad tank", and drive lines.

I'm going back hopefully tomorrow to pull all this and start a gsx swap.

Thx dude, I was fairly surprised as these gsx cars rarely end up in the yard, my buddy asked if it was a gsx and I said no, then looke under it and a smile began to grow on my face, lucky for me the car is miss labelled at the yard as a gs so no one online or over the phone would suspect these parts are here, the odometer said 89k miles too...

Oh and I also found a perfect front and rear bumper but I didn't bring enough cash, I hope I can go back tomorrow

Front drivers fender was cleaned and sealed on the inside to prevent rust and mounted

F312333A-ABC0-4219-B3CD-F262A56B941F.jpg

DB80327B-1F13-49AC-9BAC-CA7FB9A59863.jpg

41D981B0-53C9-4CAB-8EFC-E01E1383C956.jpg

Perfect fit

I was hoping this wasn't so, looks like I'll need to fab some patch panels
3EAD3D80-33D0-47C4-9964-1C8CA0CE99D6.jpg

EDF94EF3-F348-43F0-BB3E-2966770A55E7.jpg

And it's like this on both sides... Found some more dents that where poorly bondoed and filled in with what looks to be fiberglass resin :-/ but it's all part of the fun

All ready to weld up.
EDF94EF3-F348-43F0-BB3E-2966770A55E7.jpg

43D8392E-B930-4666-8F7C-AB6323B06660.jpg

Dr
43D8392E-B930-4666-8F7C-AB6323B06660.jpg
ivers side
44942044-E3D2-4839-9BC6-D18421555012.jpg

4F449FB2-CB1F-4E7D-A72B-EBBC74DA1CCF.jpg

Passengers side

Thx guys, yes it was wrather disappointing to see these stupid vents fiberglassed in, specially sense it's so easy to do these types of vents the right way.

But it's all ready to tac into place and seem weld the patch panels, can't wait to get that done over the next few days, kids are sick right now so it's hard to make time for the project but we will get it done.

All tacked into place, didnt have much time today so I will have to weld it all up and grind it smooth either tomorrow or next weekend

Love watching body work done by someone who knows what they are doing. Its a lost art and I am always envious.

Good luck and if you ever want to do some body work on a '61 ford let know! :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back