The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Kyle Henny's Drag GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer Fabrications

10+ Year Contributor
May 9, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
Heyy guys. I wanted to start a new build thread and keep it updated this time.

My current setup right now is as follows from my profile:

Bolt on's:
Holset hx40 .70T3 3" VBand// STM T3// ETS 4" 2g Ultra Race FMIC// Archer fab 3" Vband o2 housing// Archer fab 3" catless Turbo Back// Archer fab 2" vband atmos dump tube. Archer Fab 4" intake w 12" K&N Filter// Tial Q 50mm BOV// Tial 44mm MVR Vband External Wastegate// Hallman MBC//, Stock Radiator w silicone hoses// Aeromotive A1000 FPR// VIS OEM Carbon Fiber hood//

Engine Management:
95 Eprom ECU with DSMLink V3, Speed Density// AEM UEGO WBo2// Auto Meter Boost/Vac Gauge 30+/30// Walbro 255HP STM Rewired// Omni power 4 bar Map// GM IAT// Apexi Turbo Timer, AEM Oil pressure Gauge 0-150 PSI

Engine Internals:
JPI Racing spec 6 Bolt 2.0// 2g un portedHead// Stock Intake manifold// BC 272/272 Cams// BC dual valve springs// FIC 2150CC injectors// Mahle Forged Pistons .020 Over bore. 9.0:1// Scat H-Beam Connecting Rods w ARP 2000 bolts// ARP Head Studs// ARP Main Studs// ACL Tri-Metals (main and Rod)// Felpro PermaTorque MLS Headgasket// Topline 3G Lifters// OEM Cam Gears & Timing belt//

Drivetrain Modifications:
ACT 2600 Sprung 6 puck Clutch// ACT Street Lite Flywheel// Comp Forged Clutch Fork// Stock Viscious 4 bolt LSD// Stock Transfer case with magnus tcase bearing cover// Stock Drive shaft// Three speed Scatter Shield// Shep Stage 3 Trans w/ 4 Spyder Center, EvoIII 1st Gear & Input Shaft// Solid Shifter Bushings (Trans and Base)

Suspension Modifications:
Blown kyb agx on eibach pro'sMegan Racing Front Strut Tower bar// Hawk HPS Pads// Power Slot slotted rotors all the way around// Stock gsx wheels.

My best time to date is an 11.1 @132 at 36psi at 3100lbs
azujubyh.jpg
epa2umy5.jpg
(time slip taken from post 96 of holset results thread)

Well anyway it's winter time and I've been stock piling parts since the summer. it's time to start improving a few things. I had terrible 60fts all season and couldn't best a 1.8 on street tires and blown kyb's with the eibach's soooooo.....

I purchased cory bowers set of 15x7.5 rota slip streams wrapped in his hoosier QTP's that he ran his stock 7bolt 9.8 pass on. And some arp extended wheel studs to replace the current 17" gsx wheels.

The BC272 cams will be leaving after some testing and being replaced with BC dual valve springs and their new design stage 3 276/276 cams preview picture below :thumb:
a2uge4a7.jpg

uza2egun.jpg

while I'm in there will be replacing the oem t belt with an HKS KEVLAR belt all new timing components and a set of new 3g lifters. Even though the motor has a little over 13,000 miles on her right now ive still got a little maintenance here and there, current 3g lifters tick like captin hooks alligator.
Water pump is fine so I'll be leaving that and L19 head studs are most likely in my future with the boost this turbo is capable of but won't be purchasing these until i need them. I plan to start off at 26psi and work my way up on. C16

The blown KYB AGX will be getting swapped for DG koni coilovers 650 front rate 350 rear

ill be dropping off the transfer case at magnus so they can check it and install the bearing cover i bought a few months ago with the proper shim.

-4AN fittings will be welded to an existing water pipe nipple for turbo coolant return and a new fitting tapped or welded into the t stat filler neck.
qeqaqe4y.jpg

These water lines will be supplying the new BIllet CHRA HTA3794R which i dont expect to arrive for a few months due to back order, but it's not like the season starts in ontario until about april-ish.

I'll be fabbing up a 3" vband bumper exit exhaust to delete the full exhaust that currently sits in the car.

Heres my current o2 housing i made for the holset
e7ava9yd.jpg

And my dump tube i made
hapeduvu.jpg

As it sits is completely gutted but still keeps the dash, and one kirkey drag seat and a 5point harness mounted to the C piller. More weight reduction is planned over the next season but it's at where it's gonna be at for the first half at least, i havent taken her to the scale lately cause of the salty roads, but is guess the car is somewhere around 2700 lbs without me in it. Goal is to get her down to 2500 without me in it.
ysa4ara5.jpg

u4e8ujav.jpg

The track i go to for TNT doesnt seem too strict about saftey as long as your not competing an event, my car still has no roll cage so I'm sure after my first pass that will be the next thing going in the car.

l'll be posting pictures as things arrive and if it's not too cold like it has been lately,(-8c ) I'll be getting my ass in the garage to start welding some exhaust pieces up after i finish the work bench I'm building (ah so many projects)

My goal is still to hit a 9.9 and go from there. But i know I'm out of pump before i get there as well as fuel line size. I have a -8AN fuel lab filter and filter to rail line but will have to wait to install that until i get lines from the tank, which might become a trunk mounted archer fabrications aluminum 5.5 gallon fuel cell. but... other priorities take place first.

I have aquired a 6bolt long block with 80k miles and a blown head gasket but otherwise complete and in great condition so i picked that up for exhaust manifold fab work and a future magnus rod/ross piston motor that will hold anything the 3794 could throw at it.

If anyone has questions about me or my setup or plans feel free to ask them here.

Stay tuned for awesomeness in 2014.

e2uja4yb.jpg

You weren't lying when you said the car is gutted. Exhaust loos awesome. Time for nines in 2014.

Really nice welds! Hey, i thought you got the 3786 or am i confused? Either way, good luck on the build bro.

Really nice welds! Hey, i thought you got the 3786 or am i confused? Either way, good luck on the build bro.

I had ordered a 3586 then some members on here pointed out to me that it was really the same thing as the hx40 andnwouldnt see much gains (justin, landspeed, bastard
Etc) and i wanted room to grow and go fast more easily. So i changed the order to the 3794 which is on back order but I'm okay with that, i have plenty of other parts to put on while i wait :)

Heres a picture from gtr life of one of the billet CHRA 3794's I'm waiting on
muha5ujy.jpg

Pic curtsy if Michael at ETS

Last edited:
Kyle, man I'm wishing you had not moved.
Would be awesome to see this build first hand.

I'm going to text you with some questions :thumb:

Looks good man, the billet CHRA from FP is a work of art, well worth the wait, I love mine!

Yeah mines billet as well, they are pretty damn sweet!

Fp said 5,000 for spool 30psi on a 2.0 but I'm thinking 5500 then again this is an FP chra. :thumb: I'm really excited.

Edit: you have a billet chra 3076?

Iono where your getting those numbers. The evo guys using this turbo are reaching those around 6k give or take a few rpms. Only ones that are spooling that fast are the 2.4lr motors.

Edit:: Read it wrong. Why would you only run it at 30psi? I agree with bastard. Max the hx40 first before you throw the 3794 on.

The "Red Demon" saw 30-33psi at 5800rpm creeping up. I'll have feed back for the same turbo next season so it would be nice to compare on my 9:1 pauter/ross (until i finish my 11:1 wiseco 1.5 hd/vader rod motor) against your results.

Iono where your getting those numbers. The evo guys using this turbo are reaching those +6000rpm. Only ones that are spooling that fast are the 2.4lr motors.

Links? I got those numbers from FP

If i were you, id leave that 40 on untill you get a 140+ pass out of it. Otherwise your going to be dissapointed by that 3794.

Why would i be disappointed?

30psi is just for testing the cams on the dyno. I'll push it hard after my 30psi run on the new cams. I'm still on an act2600 and walbro 255 right now so until i get a 450 and a twin disk there won't be 40psi pulls on this turbo.

C16 is my drug of choice

Links? I got those numbers from FP

2.2L 5500rpm(ish)@34psi t4 Twin scroll
Daniel's 821whp SLR2.2 4G63 3794 TS - evolutionm.net

2.4LR 5600rpm@38psi t4 Twin scroll/mivec
FP3794 + EnglishRacing 2.4 - evolutionm.net

2.0L 6500rpm+ 37psi t3
PTE 6766 vs. FP 3794 - 5 different boost levels - Boostin Performance - evolutionm.net

As you can see only the higher displacement motors spool that fast, plus the fact that they are twin scroll which helps slightly(more so that transient response), having mivec, and using e85 which decreases spool. You really bought this turbo not knowing what your getting into?

2.2L 5500rpm(ish)@34psi t4 Twin scroll
Daniel's 821whp SLR2.2 4G63 3794 TS - evolutionm.net

2.4LR 5600rpm@38psi t4 Twin scroll/mivec
FP3794 + EnglishRacing 2.4 - evolutionm.net

2.0L 6500rpm+ 37psi t3
PTE 6766 vs. FP 3794 - 5 different boost levels - Boostin Performance - evolutionm.net

As you can see only the higher displacement motors spool that fast, plus the fact that they are twin scroll which helps slightly(more so that transient response), having mivec, and using e85 which decreases spool. You really bought this turbo not knowing what your getting into?

I bought a 3586 and have been talking to FP about the 3794 and they said i could pay the difference when the 37's arent back ordered. I know what the turbo has done on devins car but I'm still torn between 3586 and 3794, maybe the 3788 or 3786 is a better choice for me? I have options as these turbos arent on the shelf ready to ship. The 3586 takes two weeks to build and the 3794 could take until february or march. So far ive only paid 1586 for the 3586. And have been researching the 3794 like crazy. Ive read all those threads on the evo forum. I just didn't wanna pay that much money for a turno thag wasnt going to give me that much more over what i already had. My main thought for the 3586 was what if i want to road race, street drive? And the 3794 was in thoughts for straight drag since technically my car isnt street legal in my plans this winter. (Dot slicks, side exit exhaust, no insurance)

I want the car to be a straight drag car but the more i think about it the more i know I'll wanna tear up the streets

I dont ever really plan on stroning my dsms and in my current motor I'm only good for an 8500 rpm redline.
Maybe i should keep 3586 in mind. Honestly i could go either way. It's just weather I'll drive it on the street or not.

So honestly, I'm loving the thought of the power of the 3794 but i know it won't be fun on the streets as much as the 3586.

But when ininitially ordered the 3586 i couldnt help but think it wasnt enough in the long term.

The 3586 in a .85AR housing spools as fast as the hx40 in the .55 AR but isnt restricted.

I'm honestly torn, and thought i had made up my mind both times ive talked to FP.

You're going to have to decide what you want to really do. You havent reached the potential of the hx40 yet. I ran a 10.8x@125 ages ago on a bolt on hx35 in my fully gutted drag 1g with 8 gal fuel cell built for the streets on all weather tires. You just need to get your weight down and get more seat time with your setup.

The 3794 is going to be strictly drag only unless you are stroked or have 2.4L. If you can live with not having power below 6k then why not? Me personally I could care less. Thats why I'm building a 11:1 motor so it'll be like driving a high compression honda below boost around town. ROFL

In a 2.0 what kind of spool time are you looking at with the 3586 compared to the 3794...I've been kinda looking at both those exact same turbos too for my newly acquired gsx. Been waiting to figure out which turbo to get to base my build around.

In a 2.0 what kind of spool time are you looking at with the 3586 compared to the 3794...I've been kinda looking at both those exact same turbos too for my newly acquired gsx. Been waiting to figure out which turbo to get to base my build around.

Well according to devin shultz results 3794 hits 33psi by 5800rpms with kelford 280's

And the 3586 hits 30psi by 4700rpm and has made almost 800hp in the evo community

My beef is i can't rev my motor past 8500 without a girdle. And i know I'm not doing thay any time soon. And a twin disk is far out of budget as well as a dog box.
So i might as well do the 3586.

Honestly I'm just done with holset. I want my ballbearings back.
I see 33psi by 5500 with the .70AR bep and yeah it's still fun on the streets, but the .55AR housing (which was restrictive) hits the same 30psi by 4700rpm as the hta3586, only the 3586 isnt limited by a small turbine housing.

The BC272 cams will be leaving after some testing and being replaced with BC dual valve springs and their new design stage 3 276/276 cams preview picture below

I thought 264s were the biggest cam that didnt need new springs?Yuu were running 272s with stock valve springs?

The BC272 cams will be leaving after some testing and being replaced with BC dual valve springs and their new design stage 3 276/276 cams preview picture below

I thought 264s were the biggest cam that didnt need new springs?Yuu were running 272s with stock valve springs?

Yes i have been the bc272's are mild 272's i was supplied dual valve springs with the 276/276 but still won't rev over 8500 due to the bottom end. I already reved to 8k on the stock valve train but at least now I'll be able to do it with more piece of mind.

Big difference in spool times...kinda leans me more towards 3586 for what I want for now.. thx for the info. Nice car and good luck with the winter build.

Big difference in spool times...kinda leans me more towards 3586 for what I want for now.. thx for the info. Nice car and good luck with the winter build.

Thanks sir. Yeah homestly the more i research about both the more i lean tword the 3586, if i can get a billet chra for that biotech I'll be pretty happy.

Yes i have been the bc272's are mild 272's i was supplied dual valve springs with the 276/276 but still won't rev over 8500 due to the bottom end. I already reved to 8k on the stock valve train but at least now I'll be able to do it with more piece of mind.

Why do you think you'll have problems with the bottom end? It's not going play any big part unless you have a bad crank in which case a girdle will do nothing as the crank will still deflect and destroy bearings. If you have valve springs already you can spin it up past 9000rpm(depending on seat pressures and ramp rate of the cams.)

I wonder what bogussvo would say about 72s on stock springs?Maybe ill pm him and post back with what he has to say.

You can run BC 272's and HKS 272's no problem on stock springs up to 8500 max. We(dsm community) have been doing it for years because the ramp rates are so mild. Im sure Dale will have something to say about it, but the evo guys have been running their stock valvetrains with kelford 272s no problem to 8000rpm.

My friend that built the short block said it would be goodnto air on the safe side because of no girdle (6bolt) but there isnt anything wrong with the crank, it was micropolished before installation. Everything in the rotating assembily was balanced and blueprinted. I havent installed the dual valve springs yet.

Cam card for the new 276/276 can be found here
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...399-new-design-stage-3-bc276-276-testing.html

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back