The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

My 1991 Galant VR-4 Restoration and Build #1444/2000

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underdog_

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2010
Knoxville, Tennessee
Hello All!

Some of you may know me from my Talon build thread and videos that I've posted on here. My 1991 Eagle Talon AWD: From the beginning

IMG_2373a.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

But this thread is about a car that I found just down the road here in Knoxville, totally on a whim while searching craigslist. I wasn't on the hunt for a Galant VR-4 specifically, but always appreciated them and their unbeatable sleeper status. Once I saw this car in person and the potential it had, I just had to fix it up and return it back to it's original glory!

What I'll do with each build update is include a video update that tells the whole story. I'll be sprinkling in photos too, but I'd encourage you to check out the videos as I enjoy doing my best to make them fun and interesting. So with that said, here's the first video where I briefly cover the history of the Galant VR-4, how I found mine and what it looks like inside and out. Finally we'll take it for a spin on my special "rally stage" here in the hills of Tennessee.

Here are the original photos from the Craigslist post. I responded to the ad right away and was looking at it within the hour. You know you'd do the same! ROFL

IMG_6927.jpg

IMG_6928.jpg

IMG_6929.jpg

The pics made it look somewhat nicer looking than it actually was, since the car had been sitting for some time. Here are a few shots that I took of it. The car was originally purchased in Bristol, TN and never ventured outside of the state. I bought the car from the original owners who shared many great stories about the car and watching their kids grow up in it.

IMG_6966.jpg

IMG_6964.jpg

IMG_6967.jpg

This car came with the EXTREMELY RARE "Aloha Interior Package" :)
IMG_6968.jpg

Yeah man, dreamcatcher!
IMG_0649.jpg

A quick shot from the video of my off-road excursion.
IMG_6969.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

So the plan is to restore it inside and out, assess the mechanical condition, take care of any fixes needed and perform any required maintenance to make it roadworthy and reliable once again. Stay tuned as I take you through the whole process!

Thanks for reading,

-Tom

Last edited:
Nice tom I got that a update on youtube on the vr4 nice progress and dsm you found there. I used to work for a mitsu dealer here those things were really rare around here.

Nice tom I got that a update on youtube on the vr4 nice progress and dsm you found there. I used to work for a mitsu dealer here those things were really rare around here.

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Here's the latest video update, where we begin our restoration by cleaning up the dirty interior.

Last edited:
Hello All! Here's the latest update where we get to buffin' to find some shine in that old paint. Thank you for watching! -Tom

Last edited:
Hey tom you bringing that thing to the shootout next year? Loved the shootout van.

Thanks man and I do plan to drive the old beast to the Shootout, so I'll see ya there! Here's a pic of the van for ya, haha!

IMG_0516.jpg

I'm watching part 2 on my TV right now. I love the amount of detail you put into cleaning stuff.

Thank you very much Erik! It's sorta freaks me out that people watch these on their full size TVs. It just seems kinda unreal. Haha! ROFL

This is probly the most excited I have been for a build journal! I love how informative your YouTube videos are, and the quality of work on all your cars. This Gallant is very lucky to have you as its owner Tom.

Like my Laser ... When I bought it, found out that a Galant VR4, 4G63 was installed - yelllowtop 510's with a B16G turbo...and same valve cover lettering.

The 4G63 in the VR4 was a 225hp motor with the usage of the 510's and the B16G in stock form out of Japan .. why the red top valve cover to designate a true Japanese 4G63 compared to the ones built for the US DSM market.

This is probly the most excited I have been for a build journal! I love how informative your YouTube videos are, and the quality of work on all your cars. This Gallant is very lucky to have you as its owner Tom.

Thank you for all of the kind words and I'm glad that you find the videos helpful too! Oh and freaking I love your 280Z project! It's brilliant.

Like my Laser ... When I bought it, found out that a Galant VR4, 4G63 was installed - yelllowtop 510's with a B16G turbo...and same valve cover lettering.

Well that's a pleasant surprise! :hellyeah:

Hello All!

Here's the latest video where we tackle some bigger exterior jobs, like the faded trim, stained wheels and a couple other tasks.

Here's a few "before" pictures:

Nasty wheels!
IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

Terribly faded trim
IMG_0336.jpg

Remember to wire wheel yo nuts at every 6 months or so! :sneaky:
IMG_0338.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited:
Freakn A rights! Soon as I seen which member posted the thread I knew it was going to be good.
Definitely wish I hadn't missed the one that came up for sale locally this summer.....kick myself monthly for it.

Thank you for saying that and very sorry to hear about missing out on one. I lucked out finding this one for sure!

Hi All!

Here's the latest video where we face our most formidable foe to date - that awful engine bay!

I’ve seen worse, but it was still a pretty big job!
IMG_6967.jpg

IMG_7001.jpg

Thank you for watching!

-Tom

Last edited:
Hello All,

So after all of the hard work detailing the car inside and out, we finally get to enjoy the best part - the results!

Thanks for watching! -Tom

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, I was pretty bummed when I saw your talon parts for sale and realized you had sold the car. But I love your vr4 and cant wait to see the build!

Car looks good on the dam road :p.

Dam right man! :sneaky:

Not gonna lie, I was pretty bummed when I saw your talon parts for sale and realized you had sold the car. But I love your vr4 and cant wait to see the build!

I hear ya man, it was a real tough decision, but one that will allow me to try some new stuff. Here's a little writeup I did about letting it go: Eagle Talon Turbo | Goodbye Old Friend

Thanks for the kind words about the VR-4 and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Love this car, love the videos. Very good job on cleaning the old bird up. Keep it up tom!

I didn't know you got rid of the 1g!!! :(

Thank you sir! Cleaning this car up has been really fun and rewarding. It's always motivating when you keep seeing little glimpses of potential as you're working too, which is exactly what happened while I was cleaning up the Galant.

As for the Talon, I hear ya man! It was a very tough decision, but I'm ready to try some new things in the coming years.

Also, here are some photos of the Galant all cleaned up. You can see more of these along with some big wallpaper sized ones on my vr4.turbomirage.com website.

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

Hello All!

Some of you may know me from my Talon build thread and videos that I've posted on here. My 1991 Eagle Talon AWD: From the beginning

IMG_2373a.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

But this thread is about a car that I found just down the road here in Knoxville, totally on a whim while searching craigslist. I wasn't on the hunt for a Galant VR-4 specifically, but always appreciated them and their unbeatable sleeper status. Once I saw this car in person and the potential it had, I just had to fix it up and return it back to it's original glory!

What I'll do with each build update is include a video update that tells the whole story. I'll be sprinkling in photos too, but I'd encourage you to check out the videos as I enjoy doing my best to make them fun and interesting. So with that said, here's the first video where I briefly cover the history of the Galant VR-4, how I found mine and what it looks like inside and out. Finally we'll take it for a spin on my special "rally stage" here in the hills of Tennessee.

Tom's Turbo Garage: 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 - Intro & Overview - YouTube

Here are the original photos from the Craigslist post. I responded to the ad right away and was looking at it within the hour. You know you'd do the same! ROFL

IMG_6927.jpg

IMG_6928.jpg

IMG_6929.jpg

The pics made it look somewhat nicer looking than it actually was, since the car had been sitting for some time. Here are a few shots that I took of it. The car was originally purchased in Bristol, TN and never ventured outside of the state. I bought the car from the original owners who shared many great stories about the car and watching their kids grow up in it.

IMG_6966.jpg

IMG_6964.jpg

IMG_6967.jpg

This car came with the EXTREMELY RARE "Aloha Interior Package" :)
IMG_6968.jpg

Yeah man, dreamcatcher!
IMG_0649.jpg

A quick shot from the video of my off-road excursion.
IMG_6969.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

So the plan is to restore it inside and out, assess the mechanical condition, take care of any fixes needed and perform any required maintenance to make it roadworthy and reliable once again. Stay tuned as I take you through the whole process!

Thanks for reading,

-Tom

Nice find!! I know when you finish with its going to be nice. Do you plan on keeping it original?

Hello everyone,

Here's the latest update- join me as we have some fun with this old beast over the coming months! :sneaky:

Last edited:
Tom, thank you so very much for making these videos. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy them. Every time I have an update on my YouTube feed from Tom's turbo garage my wife laughs as I squee like a tween girl.

I recently snagged a '92 GSX that I am looking to tear into this Spring/Summer and will be using your videos for inspiration.

Thank you again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back