The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Project Envy: 93 Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaserRS92

Supporting VIP
Aug 14, 2008
Fort Wayne, Indiana
On May 26th I picked up my third DSM so here's to hoping third time is the charm. It's a 93 Talon TSI AWD Auto with 63,xxx original miles, forest green with tan leather interior. Seller was asking $1000, I offered $700 if he helped me push it into the trailer. A little dirty inside but the seats feel so good to sit in. They would have to for only 63k in the past 20 years... Trans apparently took awhile to find second and when it did it engaged pretty rough. I'm guessing wrong fluid or low fluid in it but plan to do a shift kit and clutch pack anyway. Motor is unknown because I think the owners started taking it apart in order to get to the trans.

Needs exhaust, brakes all around including calipers, shocks, tires, radiator, fans, ecu, trans work, plus all the misc stuff. I figure around $2k should get it where I want it for daily use. Or I could butcher my Laser and only be out money for new front calipers and auto trans parts, tough decision...

Introducing Project Envy

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 985
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 955
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 975
So right now the car needs an exhaust, radiator, fans, calipers, rotors and pads, tires, ecu, struts, hatch struts, cas, and motor is unknown. It is a 63k mile 7 bolt motor that apparently ran when the previous owner bought it but was taken apart too far when I got it to be able to verify. Turns over great by hand though. Most if not all of this stuff I had to get when I rebuilt my Laser RS so I might just rape that car to finish this one.

Did a full ArmorAll of interior panels, full vacuum, reassembled rear trunk area with privacy covers and all, replaced rear tail light, and windexed down the glass. Starting to look like a car again.

Took about 2 and a half hours but I got all the interior carpet and fabric panels out and carpet cleaned them with a unit I rented from Kroger. Just gotta wait for them to dry before they go back in but I hope at least the smell is better. Not much of the stains came up so I might have to replace the carpet anyway in the future.

I guess I should get into my actual goals for the car. My initial plan is to be competitive at the DSM shootout in the stock appearing class and also the street class in IFO. Sticking with a j pipe turbo will hold me back in the IFO classes but if I make low 400whp through the auto I should still be in top five for most IFO events. The car will still be seeing a lot of street duty with all the grudge matches around here.

Plan includes 2.3 stroker 6 bolt, 2g head, Evo 3 intake, FP Race Mani, custom Turbo Lab turbo that will be a little larger than 20g, FP 8cm turbine housing, GSC S1 or S2 cams, Hughes or IPT restall, Kiggly clutch packs and flex plate, Translab Shift Kit, ETS Race FMIC, and so on with supporting mods.

Chassis work has already begun on the front end with motor mounts, full bushing kit, Moog ball joints, Timken bearings, new outer tie rod ends.

I also have a set of RX7 wheels which should be the main set I use so I'm undecided on what tires to throw on there to hold the power and still do well for street duty.

Got the carpets put back in the car, swapped the lower door trim, front wiper cowl, and rear hatch struts. Removed all the air conditioning and abs parts. Also removed the power steering cooler and just looped the line at the reservoir. Will need to make custom brake lines for the abs delete since I don't feel like dropping $200 on the STM kit. Don't get me wrong it's great quality just not in the budget right now.

Made a big order for the car today: Prothane Motor Mounts, Energy Suspension front control arm kit, front subframe bushings, front subframe to sway bar bushings, and Moog lower ball joints. The other day I picked up Wearever Platinum front pads, should really help hold me when brake boosting, and front Wearever rotors. Also picked up a new fuel filter to replace the oem from 1993!

Time to start thinking about tires guys. I have some RX7 wheels that have bald 225/50/16 tires on them which I believe are 24.9 inches tall overall. I was thinking about trying a 225/55/16 tire though since that gets me into the 25.7 inch overall range. Not sure what spacers I'll need.

Any suggestions for tires in either of those sizes or something else? Mainly street duty but needs to hook pretty well for maybe 1.7 street tire 60's.

Maybe I need more pictures? Not real sure..

Here are some pictures, I have more but have been too busy to import and resize them.

Attachments

• 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 682
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 687
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 681
Just finished installing my brand new JNZ Tuning ABS Delete kit with proper proportioning valve. I must say this kit is perfect as far as fitment and quality goes, customer service was spot on as well!! Pictures to come...

Just finished installing my brand new JNZ Tuning ABS Delete kit with proper proportioning valve. I must say this kit is perfect as far as fitment and quality goes, customer service was spot on as well!! Pictures to come...

Thanks for the order Austin! Glad the install went smooth, best of luck with the project.

Sounds like an awesome build, but be careful with those 2.3L. They might deform the cylinders. Depending on hp and size ofc

Ok, I'll be sure to let Kiggly know that at his record setting pace he might deform the cylinders because he is a 2.3 stroker and to back off some. If he asks why I'll point him towards your very first post on Tuners and in my thread. Thanks.

Just trying to be helpful. I was bouncing back and forth between the 2.3 and 2.4L for my build and I finally decided 2,4 because of that issue if the proper (expensive) precaussions weren't taken.

Man this thread got away from me. I need to update this asap, it lives!!!

Well the good thing is I have about 500 miles on this car. Things have going pretty good. After I got the car physically put together, the ecu I had wasn't cooperating with the tcu. I was stuck in gear and had issues with giving it any gas. So I had no choice and ordered Link V3.

With the car running now I was still having a rough idle that plagued me from my old car. Changed the maf comp settings a little bit and added a new throttle body gasket. Things still weren't quite right when accelerating and I had never checked cas timing even from 1500 miles ago when this 6 bolt was in the Laser. Timing checked out at 10-11 btdc. I dialed that back in and am much happier with the throttle response.

Car was leaking trans fluid on the passenger side over and over even after new seals. Found out I was only putting the shaft all but an 1/8 of an inch from fully in.

*Conclusion: Had a couple dial in things and still need to do more. Camber on the H&R's is at -3.5 camber after an alignment so I'm just waiting to put on the Ingalls rear upper arms I got. I installed my AM Sport Comp boost gauge today. And then my drivers side window got stuck down, so that will need to be sorted out shortly. Darn switch!! More to come.

Attachments

• 215.JPG
    215.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 432
  • 217.JPG
    217.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 436
Installed a shorty antenna, AM Sport Comp boost gauge, Ingalls adjustable rear upper control arms, and new to me throttle body with fiav block and new mounting gasket, re aligned the car, and washed and waxed it Sunday night.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 410
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 403
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 401
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 406
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 415
Thanks for the kind words!

I'm having some issues getting the isc centered and my iscposition to 30 in link with my target idle. I suspect a small boost leak because in drive I have 20 in vacuum but in drive that dips to 16lbs. Also need to find the correct size spacer for the half shaft now that I removed a/c. Then it's time to save for tires on my RX7 wheels :)

Thanks a lot tkstoy! I can only dream of body work like you have achieved.

Here are some pictures from our local monthly DSM meet. Tried my first hand at washing, claying, and finally wax by hand.

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 267
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 269
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 280
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 269
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 290
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 263
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 285
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 258
Austin this thing looks great. One of the cleanest I've seen in a while. As for the dude who was worried about warping cylinders on a 2.3 I guess u must have it backwards. 2.4's have been know to crack cylinders not 2.3's. Keep working on this thing man. and keep it clean my young prodigy!. Lol. All you need now is a nice front mount, turbo and trans work and you'll be haulin in no time. wish I was still up there.

Thanks Derek I really appreciate that. I'm trying hard to keep it clean but it looks like my neighbors have scratched up the whole passenger side. I also got hit with the Target fraud so unfortunately I didn't get as many parts this season.

I have picked up a BNIB B&M trans cooler for $75 shipped that normally retails for $110 plus shipping and a turbo which will be identified at a later date. Hint, it's a surprise. The trans cooler is a 29k btu core and looks to be a solid functional design. I shouldn't have probably using this cooler but I will still probably throw a 11" Perma-Cool fan on the back of it as well.

I'm currently in talks with Force Engineered in Michigan for some custom hot parts to make turbo fitment and exhaust routing easier. They were very excited and supportive of current ideas and offered up some of their own. I look forward to working with them in the future.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back