The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1990 talon build up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakkat

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 29, 2012
desplaines, Illinois
About 3 months ago I bought a 1990 talon tsi awd for $2600. The car came with. 2g maf, injen intake, stock smic, EPROM ecu, 2g exhaust manifold and a turbo back exhaust.

yqyga3az.jpg

Since the purchase I bought a vrsf front mount to replace the stock smic that was leaking boost horribly, and also wrapped the lower intercooler pipe with dei cool tape to help lower radiant heat transfer as well as installed a halman mbc at this time

2evuqame.jpg

ugehu7aq.jpg

ahevy9ev.jpg

Then I replaced the wg actuator that was causing me to overboost to 20lbs with one from forced performance.

Next came the fuel upgrades. Picked up a walbro 255, fuel pump rewire, and a STM fuel lab adjustable pressure regulator kit.
ujy2u4yt.jpg

sepegeha.jpg

gu9eneje.jpg

Next mods will be dsm link, all new timing components and an STM tank to rail kit with fuel lab filter. I will update as parts are ordered and installed. This will be a budget all go no show build.

So I dropped the tank to redo the studs I snapped off
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360108911.323292.jpg

Re-drilled all the holes and threaded them for bolts to go in. Also sanded a good portion of the rust off and ran over it quickly with some rustoleum. The fuel fill hose ripped in the process of lowering the tank so I got a hose from napa and trimmed it to fit.
e2y4yzu8.jpg

Attachments

• e2y4yzu8.jpg
    e2y4yzu8.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
Mini update. Got my boost gauge back from prosport and it's finally working!

qa3yba2u.jpg

aby2ybyt.jpg

Matches the interior nicely
una4edut.jpg

Update, got the STM fuel supply
Kit with fuel lab filter installed
8uduzy8a.jpg

ygaqynyb.jpg

All of the fittings are top notch and fit is very good.

Time to upgrade To compensate for all that adjustable fuel pressure ;)! That 14b and 35+ of fuel pressure and no way to tunes means your dumping fuel And not controlling it at the injectors.

Yeah my plans for next mods are:

Battery relocate
All timing components
Innovate mtxl
Dsm link
Etc.

It almost seems now like the walbro 255 I put in was a waste of money as it's not e85 compatible pump and Im toying with the idea since I used it on my speed3 with such good results and all of my lines are upgraded and eth compatible now.

Just gathering the money slowly Lol

Yeah the previous owner of my car looped the evap lines, deleted the egr, deleted the cat, abs and cruise so it's got quite a few things missing LOL

Ok I'm gonna update this thread after about a year now , a lot has changed. Started a new job working for a BMW dealer so the mods have been coming in full force since then.
Swapped out busted motor mount bushings for pollys
y6anu7uh.jpg

nejuqagy.jpg

ju3ymu6e.jpg

I did not take pics of the install of the others

3etu5yty.jpg

Then I decided it was time to ditch the blown shocks so I picked up a set of Megan coilovers and a mishimoto radiator with a fal shrouded slim fan. I installed the coil overs adjusted the ride height and did an alignment at work and set the camber to be equal when my weight is in the drivers seat
ejany9uv.jpg

ymyqyde9.jpg

a7apyhy6.jpg

Went to drop in the radiator but the fan wouldn't bolt up so I had to fab some
Brackets
ajajutav.jpg

2a8u5e8u.jpg

Bolted up
yqapypur.jpg

Took her on a little drive
7a9u6u2e.jpg

We'll now it was time to tune it to get a little more power so I pulled the ecu and found
2u2yva4e.jpg

That had to go so I got ecmlinkv3
ady9yhy9.jpg

Next I needed a way to log my afr, so I grabbed a innovate mtxl from extremepsi
puge2usa.jpg

I'll have to take a picture later of it installed into the center vent, I decided to run it in the primary o2 location and simulate the narrowband through Ecmlink

I could not recirc my 1g bov because of the vrsf piping that I had being too close to the 2g intake i was using, so I grabbed a tial q since I was running vta anyway, when driving it made the car stall pretty bad when using the maf , so I went ahead and got rid of the 2g intake and got a fp intake and converted over to speed density
jajajy8e.jpg

Now I'm waiting on an e3 16g to get here to drop in, tune it and see how things go.will update soon

New turbo has been a straight up pain in the ass, 2 bolts were broken off in the exhaust side so I had to drill them out, and one of the threads on the downpipe side crumbled when I went to thread a bolt in, so I helicoiled it. Then the head feed pulled the threads out when I put it in. So I helicoiled that. Also found previous owner snapped off an exhaust stud, drilled it out and attempted to helicoil it but it had been done before so I tried drilling it out and somehow the helicoil went in..... No so sure how we'll it will hold but we will see.

3yru7u5a.jpg

guqy4uqa.jpg

uqeju8ev.jpg

I am building my 90 also. Was just wondering what the waterpump pipe got crushed for or was it that way when you got it. I didn't seem to have any problems in that area. Is it cooling just fine? What are your goals for your car? Seeing if they are anywhere similar to mine.

Previous owner smashed it when he was trying to fit this o2 housing in, the sensor would have hit it. I ordered a new one but now I need to get a new o2 housing too. No cooling issues so far but it hasn't been driven much. And goals are around 350-375awhp , quick spool and a nice wide power band.

I hope mine is about the same, as my goals are 350ish hp, would take a little more if I could squeeze it out of the little monster. I don't think I can get to 400 without putting in bigger cams. I should be tuning in a week or so. I am waiting on a waste gate actuator that went bad then I can tune and go to Friday nite fun runs to get a time slip and hope I'm not disappointed. :pray: I will be following your build and if something comes up, feel free to PM me and ask, I don't mind sharing info at all. :thumb:

Sounds good! Just waiting on a few more parts, and I think I may get some dks 272s to complement this setup in the future

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back