Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > DSM Build Journals
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

DSM Build Journals: Start a Journal to document your DSM build or document a race event you participated in.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 07:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #21 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 449
Photos: 60
Classifieds Rating: 4
I wanna say tech center,I am not if its right. Helped a friend paint his car on base and they loaned out tools and the booth. Dont they have something like that were u are at? Did his in DC.

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #22 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 123
Photos: 17
Classifieds Rating: 0
nice build glad to see you got away from the "4g63" killer thing lol. looks like a good build. subscribed.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #23 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,579
Photos: 20
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 135
Send a message via AIM to snowborder714
Get a 1g throttle body to take advantage of the 1g intake manifold opening size. The 2g doesn't match up.

Throttle body rebuild kits

Old 02-19-2012, 08:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #24 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Car: 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Tech Posts: 836
Photos: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowborder714 View Post
Get a 1g throttle body to take advantage of the 1g intake manifold opening size. The 2g doesn't match up.
I am glad you pointed that out, I was doing some research in indentifying if the throttle body on there was in fact from a 1g. I might take advantage of this 92 GSX for sale for parts on my local cragslist.

There are two bases on oahu with hobby shops one on schofield barracks and one near pearl harbor. The one on schofield has a paint booth, and almst every tool you could need related to automotive. They change 5 dollar an hour for bay use, 6 for the bays with lifts. The paint booth requires a 100 dollar deposit and its around 15 dollars an hour.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #25 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonthefaded View Post
I am glad you pointed that out, I was doing some research in indentifying if the throttle body on there was in fact from a 1g. I might take advantage of this 92 GSX for sale for parts on my local cragslist.

There are two bases on oahu with hobby shops one on schofield barracks and one near pearl harbor. The one on schofield has a paint booth, and almst every tool you could need related to automotive. They change 5 dollar an hour for bay use, 6 for the bays with lifts. The paint booth requires a 100 dollar deposit and its around 15 dollars an hour.

Well thier u go. Repair and prime a panel at a time. When u get her all done, then set up your both time for paint.

If you need advice on the body and paint just ask. U will save alot of money if u do it your self and take your time, And to be honest I think u could do a better job than crapo.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #26 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Premature but MAJOR update

This is a major yet premature journal update.

I have just traded my Red 95 GSX for a Black 98 GSX
I have no abondoned or changed my Project Redsun goals or ambitions except for body restoration. I will no longer need to do a partial or full 2GB conversion with highrise spoiler. I will not be doing a hardtop conversion. Instead I will be getting paint repair and rust prevention.

Basically heres what went down.

Last night I met up with a fellow DSMer whom I was waiting to purchase this 98 GSX from. He babied this car, which is all stock, he recently had all the interior redone. This car is very well taken car of. He sold it to a sailor on pearl harbor who didnt really have a full graspe of what kind of care these DSMs need. So I sought out this new DSMer in hopes they would trade me. His and my opposites were in tuned. He wanted a beast machine capable of high horse power he would only drive on weekends. I wanted a stock fully restored DSM I could slightly dip my toes into the world of Gymkhana with. I traded my faults for his faults.

My leaks for his leaks. My bodywork needs for his rough idle. My bigger turbo for his stock turbo. This was a straight trade involving no money. We even became friends and I aggreed to do work on the car if he needed help because lets face it. Shops dont know crap about these cars!

But enough of me yammering on! The project name hasnt changed, which in a few months you will see why it is called Project Redsun. The goals are the same. Just alot of the work is done for me which is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0593.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	134580  

Name:	IMAG0591.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	134581  

Name:	IMAG0592.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	134582  

Name:	IMAG0594.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	134583  

Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #27 (permalink)
Proven Member

I think u would make a great car salesman when u retire from the military.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:47 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #28 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWHTanK View Post
I think u would make a great car salesman when u retire from the military.
What makes you say thagt

Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #29 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Keeping your dsm clean and tidy is not only our obsession but it is also apart of our general maintenance. No only does it keep our girls sexy and sleek, but it helps prevent paint damage, fading and our biggest enemy... Rust.

A good maintenance schedule is nothing without frequent cleaning, and detailing of our disappearing beauties. Remember to wash, wax and clearcoat protectant as often as you so can, and as much as you fight it. Don't. Yeah I may seem a bit obsessive washing my DSM every 3 to 4 days but. The end result... Well... See for yourself
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1329880834225.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	134651  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1329880858652.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	134652  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1329880888036.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	134653  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1329880944292.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	134654  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1329880968094.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	134655  

Old 02-21-2012, 07:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #30 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Grab a tissue. Updates of pure sexy Redsun are not only an important part of my journal, but I like to call them... "DSM Seduction"

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1329881072137.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	134656  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1329881105543.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	134657  

Old 03-03-2012, 04:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #31 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Journal Entry 3 - Unicorns, OEM and The Story So Far

Okay tuners it is time for another update on project ďRedSunĒ. A lot has happened in the last 2 weeks and Iím long overdue for this update to my first journal with you all at DSMtuners. My project has shifted a bit since my car for car trade with a not so proud owner of my current black 98 GSX but after a very exciting trade with him he is now a very proud and happy owner of a 95 GSX 6 bolt and me a 98 GSX 7 bolt. Enough with the recap itís all in the history books. Now itís time to restate my goals and all the changes to them.

Goals :
100% COMPLETE *Full 2Ga to 2Gb Conversion w/ Hardtop conversion w/High Rise Spoiler

*Full restoration of the exterior Paint Touchupís and Window Tint

*Interior remodel (Racing seats, Sound system, )

*Return 100% of mechanical functionality (In-completed and unaccomplished services , Sensors, Troubleshoot and remove check engine codes, etc..)

*Stage 1 Upgrade Path (To include T28 Turbo, AEM Wideband, Boost gauge, Voltmeter gauge, OBD2 Readout gauge)

*Suspension (Hotbits DT1 Suspension System)

50% Complete *Full engine bay cleanup and dress

Here are the upgrade parts and what Iíve done so far:

NGR Greddy Style BOV ( Will I ever get my NGR Performance BOV? )

Installed - Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator,
Installed - Mishimoto Fan shroud kit,
Installed - Mishimoto Silicone Radiator Hoses Received -Mishimoto Street Style intercooler (Black)
Installed - MIT OEM Sparkplug cover
Installed - MIT OEM BOV Recirculation Tube

Received -Mishimoto Street Style intercooler (Black)
Received - Driver Side door cap
Received - Wink Mirror (I love them this time no stickers)
Received - Bonehead Performance Oil Feed Line Kit

Rebuilt on 14B - OEM 14B/16G/20G Waste gate Actuator
Rebuilt on 14B - 14B Turbine Shaft/wheel
Rebuilt on 14B - 14B TD05H Rebuild kit

So I traded my lightly modified 95 GSX for a completely stock 98 GSX, which has a nearly flawless body along with the 2GB body style Iíve long awaited. Leaving the older 95 2Ga GSX was one of the better decisions Iíve made in my time with DSMís. It was argued in the forums that 2Gaís should be left 2Gaís. Iím not too much of a fan of the 2Ga body style, but I have enough respect for DSMís to leave it alone and no ďbutcherĒ a perfectly fine looking car. Anyway aside from that Iíve decided that within my exterior portion of the restoration Achieving the 2Gb body I want was very successful, and Iíve also decided to NOT do a hardtop conversion. One of the main reasons I wanted a hardtop 2Gb is because rust always likes to form on the sunroof assembly. In this cars case, there is no rust or signs of rust on the sunroof assembly, and as long as I continue to take care of that general area after heavy rain or washing I should be fine. Sunroofs add a nice accent to the car I must say. The only thing left for me to do with the exterior part of my restoration is to fix the sun damage on the roof and the high rise spoiler. This shouldnít cost too much or be too hard.

The interior of this car is spectacular. Not only is it very clean and well kept, thereís no sun or heat damage inside the car, all the body panels are present and undamaged. There is is new black carpet all the way to the truck space, and new black suede headliner which adds a nice touch to the GSX. Along with the inside the car features the OEM stereo/CD player. Of course it is in lockdown mode and I havenít had any luck with contacting Mitsubishi on getting the code for it. This weekend when I open up the interior panels and check my ECU and electronic equipment Iíll see about getting the unlock code. Iíll be leaving most of the interior alone since it is in such good condition but I will be replacing the sets with black leather racing seats and adding my listed AEM gauges and other electronic mediums inside (Future updates)

The engine bay is well stock. Except for some upper hard piping and a Authentic Greddy Type S BOV, which the adjusting bolt stripped when I was adjusting. But thatís okay hopefully my NGR Type S will be here soon ( Will I ever get my NGR Performance BOV? ). I plan on upgrading the turbo with a true bolt on with performance in mind T28 Turbocharger. I also plan on either using my Mishimoto FMIC or another SMIC for the 98 GSX. My current SMIC has a hole in it Iíve repaired with Aluminum Epoxy. It was a quick fix at a gas station but seems to be holding well, and was the source of my boost leak. I could possibly still be leaking boost which might be the reason my boost isnít ďknock you in your seat powerfulĒ or it could be the very stock T25 turbo I currently have on there. My DSM isnít the fabled 98 GSX Iíve read about on the forums so I am a tad disappointed but then again. Power wasnít meant o be purchased outright, you have to work towards it. I am at ease as my engine bay is free of tangled unorganized wires leading to nothing, and missing components here and there. I have NO LEAKS. This is a first for me in any used car ESPECIALLY a DSM. Unlike the other GSX Iíve found nothing wrong with the vacuum lines except the ones leading to the WG. Thanks to John over on Big Island I was able to do the BCS mod. Although my car isnít running right now because of a fuel pressure solenoid (Did Seafoam kill my car? )

My Exhaust system is stock as well. I have no idea really what kind of system I will be putting on this beautiful machine, but I know Iím not going to make the same mistake as to getting a 3in straight pipe system with Apexi turbo back muffler ( Rally Exhaust? ) Iím more so considering a 3 in downpipe, 2.5 in Piping with a resonator and HKS turbo Muffler or Apexi. I feel like with this setup I wonít hear the annoying sounds I hear from Hondas. But all of this costs money which I am no unfortunately short of. Hell my car doesnít start because of a fuel pressure solenoid and I cant really afford to fix that because of the lawyer fees Iím now paying from a Racing on highway charge and speeding above 81 MPH ( Need a Jailhouse Lawyer ). But Iíve been getting a lot of help from my friend John over on Big island and without him I would be up a creek without a paddle. After all of my legal troubles are solved Iíll continue full speed with Project ďRedSunĒ. You all are probably wondering why Iím still calling it ďRedSunĒ. Youíll understand in either the next project update or a very near future update from me.

Before I hit you with all my photo updates for Project ďRedSunĒ I would like to give thanks to the following.

Dsmkauai Ė John Ė You da man!
Jonathan Hopkins Ė Awesome advice
4Lurker4 Ė Thanks you so much for support
JusMX141 Ė King of Turbos
DSMtuners Ė Unrivaled IT support
Oíriely Auto Ė After closing parts lookup and sales.
Mike Ė For helping me track down the new owner of this rare gem
Amazon.com Ė Every aftermarket, replacement and maintenance need all in one place
Bonehead Performance
Mishimoto - Below is a video of thier product.
Mishimoto Radiator and Fan Shroud installed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0677-1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	135233  

Name:	IMAG0711.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	135234  

Name:	IMAG0712.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	135235  

Name:	IMAG0709.jpg
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	135236  

Name:	IMAG0708.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	135237  

Name:	IMAG0710.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	135238  

Name:	IMAG0714.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	135239  

Name:	IMAG0658-1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	135240  

Name:	IMAG0654-1.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	135241  

Name:	IMAG0653-1.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	135242  

Name:	IMAG0648-1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	135243  

Name:	IMAG0681.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	135244  

Name:	IMAG0676.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	135245  

Last edited by Leonthefaded; 03-03-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Editing and fixes
Visit Leonthefaded's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #32 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 21
Classifieds Rating: 6
Goodluck on your build bro, but I don't think your FPS is the cause of your no start problem as you mentioned.

Quote:
Hell my car doesn’t start because of a fuel pressure solenoid
The FPS is there mainly to adjust your fuel pressure when your car is already hot. You may want to strart trouble shooting elsewhere.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #33 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Well the last CEL that was read before my car shutdown was the FPS. But of course I'd have to diagnose it and attempt many different things before I figure out the actual problems. No biggie.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #34 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 23
Classifieds Rating: 0
Subscribed! You sir are one hell of a mech. I'll definitely be jotting down some notes for any future builds I get myself into. Cannot wait to see this car be revamped!

Old 03-04-2012, 05:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #35 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 388
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 3
Nice job so far. Check out my build when you get the chance.
1995 Eagle Talon Tsi Engine Shave/Build

Old 03-04-2012, 05:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #36 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Journal Entry 4 - Fuel, Spark, Air and a bleak future

After recent events concerning my fuel system. My car sustained damages to the stock fuel lines leading from the tank to the filter and rail. After some simple "DIY" testing I've concluded that a near full fuel system replacement and upgradeis in order. After further discovery I found my OEM fuel rail was being held on by only 1 fuel rail bolt and spacer. This was a scarey discovery, even though it was on there pretty solid. Definatly not the safest thing to find and know in the back of your head so.

I complied a short list of things I'll be needing for this much needed upgrade and replacement:

(4) 450cc Injectors (OEM)
8 - 10 ft of -6AN SS fuel line
Inline Fuel Filter
(2) Fuel Rail Spacers
(2) Fuel Rail mounting bolts
Walbro 190 LPH Fuel Pump (Kit perfered)

Hopefully as long as the finances work out I can requsition most if not all of these items from here:
STM Fuel Tank to Rail Kit
DSM parts Walbro 190 Kit
Spacers
Rail Bolts

I considered going with STM's double pump hanger kit but its insanely expensive and I wont be needing a double fuel pump setup for the low HP numbers I will be going for eventually. And I do not really like purchasing parts from vendors solely based on thier prices and the recent lack of shipping ability by them. The injectos I can get from my local autoparts store of used from a donor car. Although a fuel system upgrade isnt something I wanted to do to this scale its not needed more than ever in light of recent events. Hopefully I can find these specific parts elsewhere, especilly if I can get these parts locally from shops or parts stores on Oahu.

I had the hardest time getting all the lines off of the the stock fuel pump hanger in the RedSun and ended up with the beginnings of a stripping nut on the hardline end of the fuel line to the rail from the tank end. I just called it quits at the moment. If I end up breaking yet another hard line its going to cost me more money. Visegrips and the plathora of tools I have at my disposal did nothing to ease this removal of the old stuck lines on my car. But another day further down the rod might see an easier way. I've considered the possibility of just replacing the whole assembly all together.

Things arent looking up for Project RedSun at the moment. In fact, they are looking far from good, and the fear of abandonment of the whole thing weighs heavily on wether or not fixing my current "No start" issue after replacement of practically the entire fuel system will get this car back on the road.

The next two weeks will decide that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0723.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	135316  

Name:	IMAG0724.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	135317  

Name:	IMAG0722.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	135318  

Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #37 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Update Preview

So alot of you know the Redsun has been down for a no start and fuel system issues, but hey that doesnt mean the project stops completely. Im not going to post up everything so prematurely but I felt that the subscribers and followers of this journal deserve something so it doesnt go stale on them.

Thanks to the awesome help, contributions and motivational support from DSMkuai, Johnathon Hopkins, Twix and my new friends at STM I've been trickling in small parts here and there to get the Redsun back on the road and back track! I whole heartly appreiciate all of your support, advise and relentless love for DSMs and in helping me guys, thank you.

Thats right everything is pretty much on track, except for a few things that had to be pushed back a month or two or were placed on an extended hold.

Exhaust system: I was planning on doing a 3" Downpipe to a highflow catalytic converter to a 2.5" piping all the way to an Apexi N1 Muffler. I chose this specific setup because I wasnt too much of a fan of the high raspy 3" straight pipe I had on my previous GSX, I'm hoping a combination of the 3-2." in pipeing, and Apexi N1 will acheive the "Rally" sound I'm searching for, while staying close too the performance gains of a full 3" straight pipe system.

FMIC: I wanted to use the Mishimoto FMIC I purchsed but unfortunatly due to the high cost of current repairs, I have decided to stick with the SMIC setup. I'm not getting a Big T28 anytime soon so theres not a reason I can think of for this.

Theres a couple of other things but they arent important now. The important thing now is to focus on all my maintence, address many future and current issues, correct any and there are quite a few past mistakes from the previous owner. Function and realiability > Performance and Flash is now the main focus. (But I'll still have alittle fun with flash)

Stay tuned, the next BIG update is coming soon!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:00 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #38 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 529
Classifieds Rating: 2
love the wheels. have the same set on my car in 17's. ADR makes some nice ones.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #39 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

I actually had no clue what the name of these wheels were. Thank you! I wasnt planning on keeping them, I'm smiten for the wheels Gofer has on his DSM

Old 03-17-2012, 06:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #40 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 149
Photos: 3
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonthefaded View Post
I actually had no clue what the name of these wheels were. Thank you! I wasnt planning on keeping them, I'm smiten for the wheels Gofer has on his DSM
The Enkeis or Evo IX (they're Enkei too, haha) wheels? I bought a set of Evo IX wheels because of his DSM.