Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > DSM Build Journals
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

DSM Build Journals: Start a Journal to document your DSM build or document a race event you participated in.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 04:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #21 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 170
Classifieds Rating: 3
1st and 2nd picture have the skidplate laying on the floor. The part seen covers til about the passenger compartment, it's 1/8" aluminum, with 2 additional 3/16" plates directly under the engine.

From there a 1/8" plate runs to the rear axles, with 5 rows of 3 holes for venting.

Covering the rear axles and rear driveline components are 1/8" polyurethane sheets.

Last edited by PotatoFlakeSTi; 07-20-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Not sure why I thought it was steel, it's obviously aluminum.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #22 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: Evo X GSR
Tech Posts: 5,208
Classifieds Rating: 0
Why did I even ask.... I'm an idiot sometimes. Thanks.

I went with 3/16 aluminum for my plate. It seemed a good balance between weight and strength.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #23 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 668
Photos: 11
Classifieds Rating: 5
It's looking good man!

Give me a shout if you need an extra hand

'90 Laser RS Turbo
'91 Talon TSi
'92 Talon TSi AWD
View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #24 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Tech Posts: 42
Photos: 10
Send a message via AIM to Piranhaman33
Nice car man!! I'd love to rally a 1g, specially through the Mojave Desert. I'm also loving the vid.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #25 (permalink)
Proven Member

Good thing I bought the prothane motor-mount inserts;
Drivers side mount;

Passenger side mount;

Prothane polyurethane inserts installed;

Also for funsies, car jacked up... wheels are still touching the ground;

Oh and here's my "front motor mount".

I'll assume the PO did this;

Old 01-05-2012, 10:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #26 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Oh and here's my "front motor mount".

I'll assume the PO did this;
[/QUOTE]

What the hell?

Old 01-05-2012, 10:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #27 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,091
Photos: 66
Classifieds Rating: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to ilco187
Oh your the rally car guy. looking at the 3rd pic down from the top of the thread, that looks like thats why he did it cause it must have broke something being the front subframe and core support looks really tweaked in that photo.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #28 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranhaman33 View Post
What the hell?
I know right? Lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilco187 View Post
Oh your the rally car guy. looking at the 3rd pic down from the top of the thread, that looks like thats why he did it cause it must have broke something being the front subframe and core support looks really tweaked in that photo.
Seems about right.

Oh well. It'll do until it fails completely.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #29 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

At least you've got inserts on the other mounts. On another note i'm really liking the rally computer.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #30 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,931
Classifieds Rating: 10
Reputation: Tyeler18 is pretty helpful and trustworthyTyeler18 is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Looks like quite a fun project! Ever thought about going Water to air intercooled? Don't know what you're rules are you need to follow, but the W/A will allow you to keep a free radiator and not have to worry about ruining a FMIC, quicker spool and more efficient cooling as well.

Like Kreez said, if you ever want any help let me know. I'm not too far away and this is the kind of racing I'd love to get into!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #31 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeler18 View Post
Looks like quite a fun project! Ever thought about going Water to air intercooled? Don't know what you're rules are you need to follow, but the W/A will allow you to keep a free radiator and not have to worry about ruining a FMIC, quicker spool and more efficient cooling as well.

Like Kreez said, if you ever want any help let me know. I'm not too far away and this is the kind of racing I'd love to get into!
Well, as most privateer rally cars I'm trying to stay with a "Keep It Simple, Stupid" approach, so for now a chargecooler is not in the plans.

I hope to have anti-lag programmed EVENTUALLY, so spool-time will cease to be an issue at that point... Of-course I'll need to shed heat better at that point.

If you're interested in the scene, and want to get involved I'd implore you to visit the ColoradoRallyRacing.com forum. It's still pretty new, but there are some knowledgeable guys on there. (Working on setting up a NASA Rally Sprint in Steamboat, CO)
They also have information on the Colorado hill-climbs, some not too far from you.

On that note though, I will be heading to New Jersey permanently around the beginning of March, along with the car.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #32 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 23
Photos: 5
awesome thread, love the car man, what kind of coilovers are those? i recently got a 95 tsi and am really really looking forward into rallying it, first thing i want to do is suspension. could we get some pics of the rear skid plating also?

Old 02-13-2012, 05:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #33 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcowTSI View Post
awesome thread, love the car man, what kind of coilovers are those? i recently got a 95 tsi and am really really looking forward into rallying it, first thing i want to do is suspension. could we get some pics of the rear skid plating also?
Hey Concow,

The suspension is HotBits DT2 with Gravel valving and softish springs with helpers, 2-way adj and exterior expansion canisters.
I'm currently not entirely sure of the stiffness on the springs(lb wise), but I'll look into it.

Suspension should definitely be the first thing you do on a rally car (after safety items, ofcourse!), since you can run upgraded suspension in production class. Although I think the reason you see more 1g's on the dirt is because they have more travel available in the front.

I'll post up some pictures of the mid/rear-ish skidplating (which is actually just a few urethane sheets from the doors back)
The fuel-tank has a steel tank fitted around it, which will work well for when I decide to get a fuel cell as well.

Edit: Meant to say that I'll post pictures when the car arrives in New Jersey... Being shipped across the country atm.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #34 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 538
Send a message via AIM to Sebba Send a message via MSN to Sebba
What about this? Better spool, and never have to worry about the fins clogging.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #35 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebba View Post
What about this? Better spool, and never have to worry about the fins clogging.

That set-up looks pretty good, any more information on it?

Old 02-13-2012, 05:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #36 (permalink)
Banned Member

Yeah the owner is Mike, AKA JAXWHITE1G. He is a master when it comes to metal/mechanics. He fabricated the whole thing himself, IMO that's how they should have been from the factory.

I've only ridden in that car once, but I was impressed by how well everything was done. He was running a 20g at the time and it spooled like a mofo. I think he added a draw fan under it, but I can't recall. I know he's running it with the GM-MAF on the intake like my car, but I don't know if he recirc'd it. I could be wrong, but I think he just picked up a small core off of eBay and make it work.

Unique, functional, effective, and best of all better performing.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #37 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebba View Post
Yeah the owner is Mike, AKA JAXWHITE1G. He is a master when it comes to metal/mechanics. He fabricated the whole thing himself, IMO that's how they should have been from the factory.

I've only ridden in that car once, but I was impressed by how well everything was done. He was running a 20g at the time and it spooled like a mofo. I think he added a draw fan under it, but I can't recall. I know he's running it with the GM-MAF on the intake like my car, but I don't know if he recirc'd it. I could be wrong, but I think he just picked up a small core off of eBay and make it work.

Unique, functional, effective, and best of all better performing.
So he's running his GM MAF pre-turbo?

I'm not terribly worried about spool-time, as the car won't be still much and shouldn't be low on revs often... When the eventual anti-lag is programmed all I'll have to worry about it cooling and "ease of fixability"

Old 02-15-2012, 12:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #38 (permalink)
Proven Member

Alright, car is in NJ.

If you're in the Central NJ area come by and I'll get some beers and a pizza and we can talk cars!

Should have a welder soon!

Old 02-15-2012, 03:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #39 (permalink)
Banned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoFlakeSTi View Post
So he's running his GM MAF pre-turbo?

I'm not terribly worried about spool-time, as the car won't be still much and shouldn't be low on revs often... When the eventual anti-lag is programmed all I'll have to worry about it cooling and "ease of fixability"
Yeah, pre-turbo. It'd be awesome to see another top mount setup.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #40 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 26
Photos: 6
Yeeea. im thinkin tha motor mount is dead.