The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G 91 Talon AWD Auto to AWD Manual Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a91eagletalon

Supporting Member
Aug 24, 2005
Norfolk, Nebraska
Easy question I have done some research on this but haven't been happy with the results doesn't really narrow it done like I want. Can you give me a link that will tell me how to do a 1G AWD Auto to a 1G AWD Manual swap. I have both cars just need to swap them with each other.

I found a few topics on a 2G car but nothing really on a 1G and maybe I missed something.

I am using the engine from the auto car should there be any problem with that.

You will have to remove the flex plate alignment bushing from the crank or your flywheel will not sit flush with the crank. Otherwise, just check the numbers on front/rear motor mounts, to see if they are the same, if not, swap them. Such swaps are always easier when you have both cars side by side!

As stated, make sure you use right engine and trans mounts.

You will need to remove the transfer case, axles, trans, flex plate, pilot bushing and starter plate.

Then you can bolt the 5 speed starter plate to the block and bolt the flywheel to the crank. From there install the clutch, and then install the trans hopefully with a new TOB, pivot ball and fork.

Install the 5 speed trans mount on the frame rail. At this point you can install the axles and transfer case.

Next will be the shifter and clutch pedal assembly. Remove the console and unbolt the auto shifter assembly, remove the auto shift cable and the small cable to the ignition switch. Now you can bolt in the 5 speed shifter assembly. You will need to cut the hole for the shifter cables to go thru the firewall. The hole is already there thru one layer of the metal. there are 2 layers. You just need to pull the carpet and padding back and you will see it. You can take a Dremel or tool of your liking to cut the hole and the bolt holes out. From there you can install the shifter cables.

Next will be the pedal assembly. You will need to remove the steering column to make it easier. After the column is removed unbolt the auto brake pedal assembly. When you get it out you will see that the hole for the master cylinder is also cut in one layer like the shift cable hole. Cut that hole out and install the clutch/brake pedal assembly. Now you can put the column back in and install the clutch master, clutch line, and hook up the hydraulics. From there most everything in the front is done.

The last thing that will need to be done is to swap out the rear differential to the manual diff. You can also remove the transmission control unit. You will have the extra plugs in the engine bay from the auto trans that you will just leave unhooked, or use the 5 speed harness if you want to swap it out, but it isn't needed.

There will be a little wiring for the reverse lights and starter clutch switch.
For the wiring you will need to go to the plug that attached to the neutral safety switch and wire the reverse light wires into the sensor on the trans. You will also have to either connect the 2 black with a yellow tracer wires, wire up the clutch switch properly for it to start.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back