The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Magnus dogbox Ratio's and top speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm surprised to see these on the site, I thought they stopped making these gear sets some time ago.

From looking at the pics on Magnus website, it looks like you have the option to use the standard 5th gear from the stock trans or use their upgraded .83 5th gear. The stock 5th ratio is .66 which is taller, higher mph.
It doesn't say if the final drive ratio is the same, but assuming it's the same then the .83 ratio tops out at 145mph at 8k rpm while the stock 5th goes 183mph at 8k rpm using a 25" tall tire. Now that I think about it, all of the ratios in the dogmission are quite a bit shorter, so I assume the final drive is taller. I'd ask them to be sure.

You need to do the transmission shaft multiplier at the intermediate shaft to center diff.

The Magnus parts are simply PAR parts renamed, that's it.

6k for the gears its worth more than your car..LOL did you try calling them?

Not even close, but thanks for that... previous owner spent more then 10k on engine and I've spent more on other stuff towards the car so...

From looking at the pics on Magnus website, it looks like you have the option to use the standard 5th gear from the stock trans or use their upgraded .83 5th gear. The stock 5th ratio is .66 which is taller, higher mph.
It doesn't say if the final drive ratio is the same, but assuming it's the same then the .83 ratio tops out at 145mph at 8k rpm while the stock 5th goes 183mph at 8k rpm using a 25" tall tire. Now that I think about it, all of the ratios in the dogmission are quite a bit shorter, so I assume the final drive is taller. I'd ask them to be sure.

They told me in an email that it would be plenty more then stock 5 speed and enough for more then a mile drag, thats why i'm trying to get the other ratio's but there no where on there website.. :hmm:

I was hoping someone had got the info from them previously or had one.

what size tire?

225/45/17

Last edited:
Do you plan on mile rAcing? I believe most dog boxes cut 5th out completely when aimed for drag racing 1/4 mile.

I want to do the Mile not 1/4th. :)

Was just messing wit ya...just call them if your serious they will take time to answer all your ??

Its all good. :thumb:
I emailed them, Ill give them a call if they don't respond in a week or so, Still deciding what transmission I want to get done, Jack just updated his prices and it looks like its too good of a deal to pass on, will probably just get the evo 5th gear for now.

If you are serious about mile racing, and plan to make enough power to compete, a stock gear dsm transmission is not a good idea.

I suppose it depends on how much power the car is making.
The stock trans on a typical DSM 25" tall tire will go 204mph at 9k RPM, assuming it has the power to go over 200. Spin it up to 9500 and it'll do 215. Install a 26" tire and it adds another 9 mph on top.

To the OP, how fast do you plan to go?

I suppose it depends on how much power the car is making.
The stock trans on a typical DSM 25" tall tire will go 204mph at 9k RPM, assuming it has the power to go over 200. Spin it up to 9500 and it'll do 215. Install a 26" tire and it adds another 9 mph on top.

To the OP, how fast do you plan to go?

Not talking about the top speed capability. I'm talking about this.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back