The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1990 Short Shifter - eBay

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikTande

Supporting Member
Dec 17, 2012
Centennial, Colorado
I'm interested in a short shifter for my car, the only ones I can find are on ebay. Do these have proper shift stops to make sure they won't damage anything? Also, will they use the same bushings? I'm planning on replacing my shifter bushings with oem replacements from JNZ.

Fine Mitsubishi Eclipse Talon Short Shifter 89 94 DSM GS 92 | eBay

I figure it's only $30 bucks and if I don't like it, no big loss. But I want to make sure it's not going to damage anything.

Thanks for the help! I searched, but didn't find any recent results, most were 5+ years old with broken links.

I have the same shifter but don't have it in yet but I can tell it uses the same bushings and your transmission is a tail type shifter so there are no stops on the shifter. I have a turbo/mani/ecu project for this weekend and if I get far enough I was going to do the shifter so lets see how much I get done and if I get that far I will post my findings for yuo and anyone else. It appears that we reuse everything but the shifter (bolts/bushings/etc). Crossing fingers....

RAIL type transmissions. Sorry.

Awesome dude, thanks! I would love a review before I decide to order one. I'm going to order the bushings now then. My shifter is sooooooooo sloppy, it's ridiculous.

:thumb:

**EDIT** Here's the video that made me order the bushings. My shifter is exactly like that (before new bushings)
[ame]http://youtu.be/E1x_1MYFj7s[/ame]

Last edited:
My original one was also but as a get me by, I made plastic bushings for the bolts out of, get this, a milk jug by using the plastic and rolling it to the correct size. It took two seperate rolls to make the correct thickness for both long bolts on the shifter but it works really good, just don't know how long that type of plastic will last. I will keep posting when I get to the shifter part of the car (I hope this weekend too).

I have a question, what is a tail type shifter?

Suppose there were no shift stops, what happens? Shift forks break?

Where are the shift stops on our cars? A little confused on the subject, never been into racing etc so I didn't think it would be a problem enough a system would be needed..

I have the FSM at home and I'm at work right now, but if they are anything like other rail shift transmissions the stops are built into the trans. The T-5's I have worked on are all that way be it Ford or Chevy, those have internal stops and I have put short throw shifters on them without any stops since they weren't needed. Worked great. MTC

I may not like mine either but I will be the "test mule" and find out. Its very basic and only replaces the parts that make it a shorter throw but let me see after the weekend or in a week when the car finally (FINALLY) moves on its own again. Lots of bugs to work out but I might get to the shifter, I'm not sure yet. Thanks for the input as always....Hey you still got that SuperBird???? I lost my 67 RS Camaro :cry:

It makes more sense to have the stops in the trans IMO. I've slowly been compiling an article on a style of short shifter that I modified, but then I heard something about SS not having the stops, therefore causes damage. But I don't think the stock shifter even has a stop, just by watching the stock shifter move around.

Another question, ever seen people somehow modify the linkage on the trans itself, ie cut and reweld the actuator arm things shorter, closer to it's base? Would work for the same effect..

In theory it would work but might put to much stress on the cables. If you put too much stress on them then they pull out of thier ends and you cant shift at all. I had it happen on the Saturn i was racing and almost didnt make it home that night. And you are correct that the original shifter has no stops on it.

No I haven't because I cant find shifter bushings for it anymore so I am going to start a new thread on where to get 1990 bushings, if they are still out there. Sorry for the late reply.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back