The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

5speed swap clutch drag issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evilimports

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 4, 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
I've had the transmission out 4 or 5 times trying to get this right. A lot of history but I'll keep it short and sweet and just list what it has now and current issue.

I have to slip the clutch to get it into reverse almost every time. Shifts ok when driving but very clunky, like you can feel the syncros hesitating. Really clunks into 3rd and 4th. Goes into first but its not a smooth shift, it goes in partially, hesitates and then goes in the rest of the way. I don't want to hurt the new transmission and I'm out of ideas. Wondering if I missed some fine detail on the install

-Rebuilt trans, 150 miles on it
-New OEM style clutch and TOB (Exedy was stamped on the pressure plate)
-Flywheel step height at .6095 (went middle of road because I originally put an act 2600 on)
*Flywheel has been resurfaced at least 4 times, not much taken off though
-New fork and pivot ball, shimmed. Fork is right of centerline in square hole(closer to slave)
-SS braided clutch line
-Newer master and slave, I believe OEM with less than 1,000 miles
-Cruise switch backed all the way out, rod adjusted to just before it blocks return port.

It says 5speed swap at the top. Was the car originally an auto?

If so, did you get the correct transfer case for the correct transmission? 95-96 and 97-99 have different gear ratios?

It could be a bad rebuild as well?

Yes it use to be an auto, now a 5speed. Transfercase and diff came from same doner car.

I just replaced the master and slave with oem parts and bleed the system outside of the car. Got it back in and still acts the same. Put clutch hydraulic system under 25 inhg for 24 hours with no change as we

Adjust the clutch pedal until about its on about 2 threads left on the rod. If that doesnt help, then you'll need extended slave rod

Clutch rod is within 1/2 turn of blocking return port. I've tried an extended slave rod with no change in quality.

Tomorrow I'm going to bleed the system another 30 times and do a complete clutch reality check again with the car off the the ground and double check everything. Will post results.

Update:

Shifts nice enough to drive but still not ideal. I little clunky going into the gears, and reverse can be a B*tch.

-Clutch starts to engage arount 3 3/4" off the floor
-Clutch at rest sits higher than brake
-Rev to 4K off the ground, wheels did not move ( i know you should go to 7K but did not have my tablet on me and it was a super nice day here, was itching to take it out)

At this point I think im just going to finish the break-in and see how it turns out. I got about 250 miles on the trans, gona change fluid at 500, then 1,000. Running Redline MT-90

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back