The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Manual Transmission Whining

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97gst_spyder

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
My 97 whines when I downshift and also when in reverse. This happens when downshifting in any gear at any rpm, and reverse at any rpm. What causes this? Old trans fluid? Worn components?

Any help would be great.

Reverse is a helicle cut gear...That's why it whines..As for your forward gears, they shouldnt whine, unless you have one of those dogbox trannys, where all the gears are cut that way, so you can speed shift the hell out of it, and not break..

It should be a stock tranny...It hates to be shifted hard/fast.

LOL..That's what she said...
Those damm stock tranny's, what are we to do...
No, umm.. The stock tranny probly doesn't like to be shifted hard and fast, that's because it's stock..Ease off on her a little bit man..

I'm no saying that I beat on it. I've tried it and failed.

This guy failed to beat it...LOL..Why the hell is my mind in the gutter tonight..

Check your fluid level..Also it might be time to rebuild, maybe the previous owner suceeded in beating it, but you get to clean up..LOL..

Reverse is a helicle cut gear...That's why it whines..As for your forward gears, they shouldnt whine, unless you have one of those dogbox trannys, where all the gears are cut that way, so you can speed shift the hell out of it, and not break..

You have it backwards my friend,The reverse gear is a straight cut gear and the whine is normal as all straight cut gears whine,your forward gears are helical gears.

You have it backwards my friend,The reverse gear is a straight cut gear and the whine is normal as all straight cut gears whine,your forward gears are helical gears.

S*** I knew I was missing something(the correct order).:banghead:

The tranny fluid is not burnt or anything. Its still whinning, I'm getting new fluid this weekend. Anyone have any input on this??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back