Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Drivetrain Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Drivetrain Tech: 4G63 transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 05:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,194
Classifieds Rating: 10
Send a message via AIM to nuclearr Send a message via Yahoo to nuclearr

Driving with Transfer case removed?

OK as stated can will a AWD drive with the t/c removed? I know this sounds stupid and I usualy would not ask, but the wife's BMW has taken a transmission crap and I need another driving car.

I have a gst spyder with a AUTO capmission that is blown. I want to do a awd swap but have yet to find a doner car for the right pice within a reasonable distance. I want to do the manual swap but want to know if i get an AWD transmission will it drive with out the t/case. There is not an AWD rear end in this car as of yet.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:03 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 294
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to ryanman Send a message via Yahoo to ryanman
Yes, it'll work.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,547
Photos: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanman View Post
Yes, it'll work.
But will fry the viscous.

You will need a viscous coupler eliminator, or welded viscous, or welded center diff.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-15-2009, 06:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

I need a viscous elimiator? I dont want to put the t-case on unless I have to. For reason like the transmission leaking fluid (I dont think this is an issue I looked at my 1gs and looks like they wount leak) or not engaging (this would be my main concern). This is what I really need to know.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,011
Photos: 18
Classifieds Rating: 6
Reputation: v8s_are_slow is extremely helpful and trustworthyv8s_are_slow is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to v8s_are_slow Send a message via MSN to v8s_are_slow Send a message via Yahoo to v8s_are_slow
Well, unless you want the viscous burned up, you need to do like one of the above that was mentioned. So to answer the question, unless you do one of the above....no, you can't.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 09 Nissan Versa SL
Tech Posts: 1,433
Classifieds Rating: 1
I had a friend do it in his 91 for quite some time ( about a year) that was before I got a dsm. We installed the T/C and axles and everything was fine. I dont belive that he had anything done to the viscous.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 606
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 2
The viscous will be more of a problem if you remove one of the front axles. It's not meant to deliver all the force continuously to the rear or to have the rear spin at a different rate than the front. If the pin is let to spin freely, then viscous should be fine.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 480
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 2
The viscous delivers the power equally in our cars though, correct? From previous experience, I broke both rear axles at the drag strip and blew my center diff in my transmission. That was a bad day for me. Oh well shep stage 4 trans and welded center diff, and new rear axles solved my issues.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Okay lets try this again seems no one has quite hit the point. Will the car drive with the t-case [SIZE="7"]NOT[SIZE="1"] atached to the vehicle? If it is removed from the car I do not need a viscous eliminator. The viscous is in the t-case, correct?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:05 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 85
The vc is in the tranny, not in the t-case and you will need a vc eliminator atleast.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:16 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 04 SRT-4
Tech Posts: 2,614
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to toofast82
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbradley View Post
The vc is in the tranny, not in the t-case and you will need a vc eliminator atleast.
Also it is supposedly typically an hour install and can be done with tranny in car

Old 03-17-2009, 08:28 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 8,630
Photos: 68
Classified Ads: 3
Classifieds Rating: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearr View Post
Okay lets try this again seems no one has quite hit the point. Will the car drive with the t-case [SIZE="7"]NOT[SIZE="1"] atached to the vehicle? If it is removed from the car I do not need a viscous eliminator. The viscous is in the t-case, correct?
If you plan to run an AWD transmission in FWD mode, you'll need either a welded center diff or a VCE. Period.

The Original 1G Chromoly Crossmember
Visit 99gst_racer's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-17-2009, 10:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 270
Classifieds Rating: 4
it will move as i just did it. it will most likely mess up the VC over time (may take minutes to days depending on how the car is driven and the condition of the VC) ,and most importantly it will not have full power to the front wheels. it feels like a clutch slippage and the car hates to go uphills (really starts to slip then).
so, short anwer, yes it will drive but it will likely mess up VC and will not be safe to drive as it feels like it has a bad clutch so NO don't do it

wow, imagine my long answers

Last edited by 99gst_racer; 03-17-2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: added emphasis

Old 03-17-2009, 10:52 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Yes the car will move, but the viscous will be 'slipping' when you accelerate. The viscous is not hard to deal with, it's right under the cover on the tranny. Pull the cover, a snap-ring, and the viscous. Either weld the viscous or get a VCE. put the 3 items back on (remember to put RTV sealant on the cover, obviously). Done.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
I need a viscous elimiator? I dont want to put the t-case on unless I have to. For reason like the transmission leaking fluid (I dont think this is an issue I looked at my 1gs and looks like they wount leak) or not engaging (this would be my main concern). This is what I really need to know.
Why would being AWD make your tranny leak? If you mean the t-case leaking because of no driveshaft, yes the fluid will run right out, but it's not the transmission fluid that will leak since the tranny & t-case have the oil separate from each other. And what exactly wont engage? All the t-case is basically is two gears, the viscous AND center diff AND front diff are in the transmission.

Quote:
Okay lets try this again seems no one has quite hit the point. Will the car drive with the t-case NOT atached to the vehicle?
I think we've all already "hit the point" of "you will fry the viscous if you do this".

Old 03-18-2009, 11:10 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Thanks for the help. I did not know the viscous was in the trasmission. Also was not sure if the bolts for the t/case went trough the the transmission case hence the reason I was asking if it would leak. I knew if I remove the drive shaft the t-case would leak.

Sorry for all the confusion. I just wanted to have a crystal clear understanding of what was needed.