Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Drivetrain Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Drivetrain Tech: 4G63 transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 02:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 780
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: -2
Send a message via AIM to 94Jettameowpsst

What will your vehicle do with a bad tie rod end?

What will your vehicle do with a bad tie rod end?
Here's the issue. On top of having a few bad bushings in the front i think this may be the culprit. On accel the steering wheel likes to "wobble" sort of like if you have bad rotors and you brake hard. The faster i go, the faster the steering wheel wobbles, also, it basically feels like i have a huge bend in one of my wheels...i believe its coming from the driver front..however its a new tire, un bent wheel, and new intermediate L shaped control arm/ball joint.

Any ideas??

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:00 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,194
Classifieds Rating: 10
Send a message via AIM to nuclearr Send a message via Yahoo to nuclearr
could be but you need to go jack up the front one side at a time and see if the wheel has play. You have to grab the tire and try to rotate it if it moves left or right Watch the tie rods also bad ball joints can cause a similar effect. Also could be a bad stering rack.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 1,994
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 35
Reputation: VETTE_50_TH is extremely helpful and trustworthyVETTE_50_TH is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to VETTE_50_TH
I know the feeling. I put my end link on backwards, and caused the problem. Also, the car being out of alignment will do this. Because, you tire is cockeyed, but you cant see it. Also, the balljoint being bad, and i know the 2g is different, but that being bad, will let the wheel have in and out movement, which can do it.

James
View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-19-2009, 09:10 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 780
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: -2
Send a message via AIM to 94Jettameowpsst
Thanks for the responses.
Yea this whole thing just started. It was slight before when my L shaped control arm went bad but i replaced that. I know my upper driver side bj needs changed but its been bad since i started driving the car again.
Guess im going to just have to jack the car up and do that bc ive never had a bad rack/rod end so this is new for me. I noticed this morning on the way to work that it does it while coasting as well but just not as much.

Sigh why do i have a feeling this is going to be an expensive oem replacement

Old 02-19-2009, 09:58 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 1,108
Photos: 18
Classifieds Rating: 4
Reputation: Auto RS T is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toAuto RS T is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toAuto RS T is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toAuto RS T is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Suspects:

Wheel bearing
Tie Rod (inner or outer)
Balljoints (upper, lower)
Control arm bushings (upper, lower)
loose lugnuts

All of these could cause the tire to wobble. The only way to know is to jack it up by the body and check like the others have mentioned.

View photos of this member's car