The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Do you need insurance for the race track?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eDeclpse92

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 6, 2008
Belleville, Illinois
I found a thread similar to the content of my question (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/204498-type-insurance-track-only-car.html), but it was not answered. My question is:

If I have a truck and trailer and take it to the track with my DSM on the trailer, do I need insurance on my car if it never touches the road?

I am asking because my insurance company says that I NEED coverage on every vehicle I have no matter what. I'm not worried about getting coverage for theft or damaged caused by storms, fires, etc. I'm worried about what can happen on a race track. I always thought it was race at your own risk and what happens, happens. I just don't want to get sued if I were to hurt someone while drag racing (blow out a tire and hit the other car or a part flies off and hits someone. You never know what might happen).

I'm looking to race at Gateway Motorsports Speedway and I can't find anything on the website. If an accident were to occur, can the victim get sued or since it is on a track, that wont hold up in court? I am going to email the people at gateway to get a waiver and see what it says in regards to this. Any input would be much appreciated. :thumb:

Please don't respond saying "build a better car". I just know stuff happens sometimes and it's out of your control.

Your car should be insured if your driving it anywhere, dont chance it make sure your covered if anything can go wrong it will. build a better car? things break not sure how that comes into play with having insurance. COVER YOUR CAR period.

Hey were pretty near each other. When i go, thats the only track around so ill be heading there too.
Let me know what you hear from them. It would be interesting to know if you need special insurance that covers events at the track. I mean, liability of course.

Your car should be insured if your driving it anywhere, dont chance it make sure your covered if anything can go wrong it will. build a better car? things break not sure how that comes into play with having insurance. COVER YOUR CAR period.

So what you are saying is if it fell off the trailer sometime and hit another car, that would be covered and that would be the only case I would need coverage for? I do not drive it on the street.

I will contact you when I go. I actually don't live in Belleville anymore so it's a bit further of a drive but I will let you know when I do go.

Sounds good. I should be awd and ready to go next spring. Ill call state farm before i go and ask the rep about liability still working at the track. Hope they arent dicks. God knows you wouldnt want to be sued in civil court if your car caused personal injury to someone at the track. Be paying that off for 20 years.

I have full coverage as it gets street driven. They would never cover it at the track, and as far as I know there are no carriers offering coverage for "timed" events any longer. There are some exceptions for HPDE, I believe.

You can get on-trailer coverage as well as agreed-value policies.

I have full coverage as it gets street driven. They would never cover it at the track, and as far as I know there are no carriers offering coverage for "timed" events any longer. There are some exceptions for HPDE, I believe.

You can get on-trailer coverage as well as agreed-value policies.

I'll have to look into that then. I've never heard of it. Does anyone have a waiver for a drag strip? I looked on google and couldn't really find anything except for one simple small town drag strip

I would call in like you are a potential customer and ask that way, so they dont get wind of what you may or may not already be doing and bump you from coverage.

I would call in like you are a potential customer and ask that way, so they dont get wind of what you may or may not already be doing and bump you from coverage.

I did already talk to my insurance company and they said since there is no specific question they have to ask regarding auto racing at a track, then they would have to cover me the first time if there was an incident but then after that, they would drop my coverage on that vehicle. My worry is, that is what they say now, what will they actually do if I do make a claim on a race track?

I just recently had to deal with my insurance company with a hit and run and then, my rental car got broken into; neither my fault obviously, and they were the biggest pain in the behind to deal with. And I had to keep reminding them what was in my policy because they keep trying to charge me for stuff when I was under full comprehensive and collision. My sister got bumped a tad in a parking lot during high school, and they took off , and the insurance company would cover it.

I just have a feeling they are going to charge me for the insurance and then say no, we can't cover you at a race track.

Ive heard most insurance companies will not cover a car when racing even at a sanctioned event. Wether or not this is true I do not know.

Read your policy, 99% likelihood there is language that excludes racing in all or most forms. Tell them you crashed racing and most will drop you from coverage.

Ive heard most insurance companies will not cover a car when racing even at a sanctioned event. Wether or not this is true I do not know.

The distinction was "timed" events as it was explained to me about a year ago.

I verified with my insurance company that they would cover me for autox since I'm the only one on the course at one time and for HPDE events since it's not a race, but instruction on how to control your car at high speeds.

Anything that involved actual racing (i.e. timed events, as mentioned above) would not be covered.

Definitely look at the language in your policy and take no one's word as truth. If they say something like that, make them either put it in writing and get you a copy or point it out in your policy. Going to file a claim with the reason "Sally told me the first time would be covered 8 months ago" will get you no where as you don't have physical proof she said this and all she has to do is deny it or play dumb and you're SOL.

I verified with my insurance company that they would cover me for autox since I'm the only one on the course at one time and for HPDE events since it's not a race, but instruction on how to control your car at high speeds.

Anything that involved actual racing (i.e. timed events, as mentioned above) would not be covered.

Definitely look at the language in your policy and take no one's word as truth. If they say something like that, make them either put it in writing and get you a copy or point it out in your policy. Going to file a claim with the reason "Sally told me the first time would be covered 8 months ago" will get you no where as you don't have physical proof she said this and all she has to do is deny it or play dumb and you're SOL.

Yeah, that's true. I'll have to read the policy for sure and get them to put it in writing if they do say they will cover me. Can people get sued at a race track for any accidents that do happen? That would be the only reason why I would get insurance. I don't know if there is something in the waivers saying you can't sue the other driver for medical costs or part reimbursements if they were to hit you.

Yeah, that's true. I'll have to read the policy for sure and get them to put it in writing if they do say they will cover me. Can people get sued at a race track for any accidents that do happen? That would be the only reason why I would get insurance. I don't know if there is something in the waivers saying you can't sue the other driver for medical costs or part reimbursements if they were to hit you.

Anyone can sue for anything at anytime. It's whether or not the judge permits the suit to move forward.

Usually, they will unless they are extremely asinine. The threshold for "extremely asinine" is quite high however. :rolleyes:

Anyone can sue for anything at anytime. It's whether or not the judge permits the suit to move forward.

Usually, they will unless they are extremely asinine. The threshold for "extremely asinine" is quite high however. :rolleyes:

Ok, so when you say they, you mean the judge, correct? So the judge will most likely allow the case and the one responsible for the damage/ injury will be out of luck?

Ok, so when you say they, you mean the judge, correct? So the judge will most likely allow the case and the one responsible for the damage/ injury will be out of luck?

Yes the suit will be filed and permitted almost always.

Anyone can sue for anything, and practically.. nobody wins.

Actually lets fix that -> The Plaintiff and the defendant both lose monetarily alongside a massive stress penality.

The bailiffs, lawyers and judge win. In fact the judge and lawyers will be golfing and dining on your pain.

Generally the track/event promoter carries their own insurance coverage(that's why you have to pay higher prices to be in the pits/on the track than just sitting in the stands). My assumption would be that their insurance policy also covers the competetors against being sued in the event of an accident. Granted my experience is from local dirt ovals, so if its different for a drag strip, completely disregard my rambling.

Yes the suit will be filed and permitted almost always.

Anyone can sue for anything, and practically.. nobody wins.

Actually lets fix that -> The Plaintiff and the defendant both lose monetarily alongside a massive stress penality.

The bailiffs, lawyers and judge win. In fact the judge and lawyers will be golfing and dining on your pain.

Well that's nice to know! I figured the lawyers and judges would be the winners in any suit. I'll let you guys know what gateway says back when I send them an email.

Any input is appreciated :thumb: Racing is racing. I would think dirt track racing would be just as dangerous if not more as drag racing.

Similar to your OP question, if your DSM is not covered by insurance but your truck is and someone wrecks into your truck and your trailer with the dsm goes rolling. Is your dsm covered by the truck's full coverage? Or are you royally fuqed.

I'm pretty sure that trailer coverage would cover whatever you're hauling in/on the trailer

Similar to your OP question, if your DSM is not covered by insurance but your truck is and someone wrecks into your truck and your trailer with the dsm goes rolling. Is your dsm covered by the truck's full coverage? Or are you royally fuqed.

I agree with what is stated above. I would think the trailer coverage would cover anything on the trailer. I will have to read the fine print though. Because it is a DSM, if that would go flying off the trailer in case of an accident, then I would think the insurance company would total the car anyways due to it not being worth a lot.

I asked a bunch of questions to Gateway Raceway this morning about waivers, insurance, tech inspection, track insurance etc. Hopefully they will get back to me pretty soon and I can post up what I found. It most likely will be the same information for any drag strip since it is all pretty basic stuff.

Don't take it for granted that whatever is on the trailer is covered and if it is covered I'm sure it would only be for "book value". I'm also sure that every state has different rules (like our provinces do in Canada).

If your "race car" has substantial value to you, you would be best to get a proper policy for it. We have one on our car for "fire, theft and upset during transportation and storage". I am not aware of any insurance company that will insure your car during racing, even licensed vehicles.

Don't take it for granted that whatever is on the trailer is covered and if it is covered I'm sure it would only be for "book value". I'm also sure that every state has different rules (like our provinces do in Canada).

If your "race car" has substantial value to you, you would be best to get a proper policy for it. We have one on our car for "fire, theft and upset during transportation and storage". I am not aware of any insurance company that will insure your car during racing, even licensed vehicles.

That's a good point. I probably will end up with insurance on it. I was just unclear in regards to having it on a race track. With a truck and another every day car (Grand Prix) It will most likely not be that much more money because of the multi-car discount companies give. Three vehicles, one driver, can't be more than an extra $100 a year I would think. My truck was estimated another $200/ year to be covered.

Who do you use,
I gotta get this, and you guys should hook me up with a pre bent main hoop for me to weld in ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back