The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Scratched Cam Bearing/Cap - with pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sun_Ice4

Probationary Member
Aug 5, 2004
Toronto, ON_Canada
I've got a 1g head with a noticeable scratch in the cam bearing and cap.

The scratch is the width of a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil. As far as thumb nail test, the one on the bearing just slightly catches your nail...if it's on the right angle. The one on the cap is a bit deeper, definitely catches your nail.

I'm not sure if it's too much, or it won't a problem considering the amount of useable bearing surface. All others are extremely clean. Thoughts?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It looks like that can be polished and deburred out. Same thing happened to my head and cam and both polished good enough to run. That head an cam are still in my drag car and has seen 9k+ rpm and more than 8 dyno sessions.

A light touch with the ball of your thumb and some fine scotch brite. Just knock any high spots.

install the cam and caps with a touch of oil, no followers

You should be able to spin the cam with your finger tips. If it is smooth and not sticky, now install the followers and go on.

That small groove will just hold a tad bit of oil, no issue with that.

A light touch with the ball of your thumb and some fine scotch brite. Just knock any high spots.

install the cam and caps with a touch of oil, no followers

You should be able to spin the cam with your finger tips. If it is smooth and not sticky, now install the followers and go on.

That small groove will just hold a tad bit of oil, no issue with that.

Thanks all for your replies. I'm taking it to the machine shop this week, and will get them to polish it. Just wasn't sure if it was a show stopper.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back