The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Getting a new knock/tick on new build. Timing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingarex

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 3, 2012
Cheney, Washington
So I got my engine back from the machine shop and assembled it. Started it and it ran great. Forgot the throw out bearing clip so iIpulled it all back out.

While it was out I bought a new timing tensioner and oil pump gaskets (leakage)

Put it all back in and now it makes noise with the rpm. I didn't let it warm up.

I checked the timing and the head is correct dowel pins up, lines meet. But the crank pulley points to the "t" on the timing cover rather than the "tdc" mark an inch below.

I originally timed it to the oil pump marks. So is my timing off? I don't understand these letters on the cover and Really don't want to take the cover off for the 6th dang time.

What crank work did you have done for the build?

Stock crank, just had it turned. New bearings and ARP everything. It ran for 30mins and sounded great. Only reason I pulled it was to install tob clip.

Did you clean the crank? If yes... How?

Or did you rely on the machine shop to clean it?

The machine shop did the teardown, machining, and assembly. But again, it ran great after assembly until this startup. Oil came outclean as well.

So any word on the timing cover marks?

Update!

Sourced the tick to the head, and discovered the head isn'tgetting ooil . what would clog?

There is oil feed to the head, the oil transfer slot in the HG and head, and a vert oil galley in the block.

Check the thread "oil port mod !"

Click the link in my sig line

VVVVVVVV

Update.

I pulled the oil pump off and cleaned the ports, blew them out with compressed air and reassembled. Still no oil being delivered to the head (took the distribution block off and still no oil)my friend thinks it has to do with my aftermarket oil cooler. I do not.

@ bogus, this is not a 6 bolt head. Everything is 7 bolt.

The oiling system is the same as far as 6 bolt or 7 bolt.

so is the problem that caused the creation of the modification due to the ARP studs? Or the hybridization of 6/7bolt engines?

Neither, it came about due to heads being milled past limit.

Causing the oil port to shallow out and restrict flow.

Oh I see. Do you suggest this mod to anyone?

I suggest it to everyone. It is a quick, simple, easy and about free mod to do when you have the head off.

I perform it on every 4g and 4g clone head I lay my hands on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back