The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

4G63T hard pull the stumbles issues help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boosted 96 eclipse

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Alright, so here's my issue. I just got the head put back on my 96 gst (I pulled it off too see if I had any bent or broken valves from the exhaust cam jumping two teeth) and when I do a hard pull and push in the clutch and when I rev it it tries to die the rpm's dip down to 300 then it smooths out and dips down again to 300 then it'll smooth out and go back to idling smooth and actually I don't even have to do a hard pull it can be coming up to a stop sign and it does the same thing. My timing is dead on but I read that it's suppose to be -5 degrees? Also I read that if I'm not running sd or gm maft I should be running recirc bov but the car has been set up to open atmosphere since the day I bought the car and it never did this, but I recently started going through slowly and fixing all the hick rigging that was done. So I guess I'm looking more for some guidance and clarity before I do something that could be catastrophic.

Thanks in advance!

I'd start by recirculating the bov. Unless you are metering air after the valve, anything you let escape is metered air. Otherwise, the computer is injecting a proper amount of fuel for the amount of air it saw, but the air it saw is now missing. It doesn't know that and still puts in the amount of fuel it thinks should be there, making the car run rich when you let off the throttle causing the bogging.

Tl;dr: recirculate the bov and try again.

Ok, I will try finding a recirculating fitting for this bov and get it put on and I am planning on picking up an air compressor tonight or tomorrow to do a boost leak test. I'm thinking that the intake manifold isn't tight enough. There's a knock/tick sound coming from inside the intake manifold not sure what could be causing that...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back