The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Lower compression in one cylinder causing poor running

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindsey

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 17, 2007
Holladay, Utah
I've been working on car that runs poorly, the best way to describe it is the car sounds like it has cams, it doesn't though.
I did a compression test.
Cylinder 1 - 173
Cylinder 2 - 172
Cylinder 3 - 135
Cylinder 4 - 170
IIRC the manual says no more than a 20% variance in cylinders. Is this enough to cause a car to run poorly as if it has cams?
I've fixed all boost leaks, exhaust leaks and ensured the car is getting spark and fuel....
I've tried everything else, ha :notgood:

I don't think that would make the car run real bad, but i would for sure do a leakdown test to find out where you are leaking.

Doing a leakdown today. Dropped oil in the cylinder last night and it jumped up too 180ish.

I don't think that would make the car run real bad, but i would for sure do a leakdown test to find out where you are leaking.
I didn't think so either, but this is honestly the only problem that's left with the car. Everything else is functioning.

Performed a leak down test. The results....This engine is toast!! 85% leak in 2 cylinders.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back