The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need input on what to buy for engine build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmvenge

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 27, 2011
Crown point, Indiana
This car is not a full out race car. It may end up around 700 over the next five years. Its a weekend track warrior/ garage queen. I do want to daily drive it if I have to though. As it sits now I can go where ever when ever. Long story short Ive started seeing metallic goo on my magnetic oil plug. There is also some in the antifreeze. I could of popped the head gasket. It was replaced with a oem cosmetic with arp headstuds though.

Anyway Im leaning on a 4g64
Pistons I was thinking Mahle or Manley
Rods was thinking Manley I beams
Crank thinking Manley billet
Do I want race bearings or tri metal?
Do I want kiggly springs or Gsc
I only wanna do this once.
I am tired of running stockers till they die.

4G64 is a good option.

I'd recommend:
Wiseco HD
Manley Turbo Tuffs
Manley Race Series crank
ACL Race bearings
Valve springs will depend on boost level. Under 25psi Kiggleys are great. Over that go with a good dual like Manley
Also think about minor port work and oversize valves

If your target is 700 HP, You will be out of the range of most entry level H beams, most are claimed to hold 600hp set or 150hp per rod.

Stock cranks have gone up to the 700hp level, once properly checked and prepped.

either set of springs are good, but slection will depend more on what cams you choose.

I agree with pretty much what's been said, I have a long rod 4G64 with Wiseco pistons and Manley Turbo Tuff I beams and ACL race bearings. However like Bogus and my engine builder suggested I went with a stock 4G64 crank as they can hold the power. I went with a Headgames Motorworks head, they installed Ferrea 6000 series stock valves, beehive springs and bronze valve guides on GSC S2 cams. I'm on a BB Precision 6262 as my goal was 600hp on pump and I want to drive my car on the street and the turbo lag is just enough for the street. If your goal is 700hp you may want to look into a slightly bigger turbo unless you plan on using e85 as your primary fuel.

I plan on using an fp black on E85 I have pretty much everything related to that minus turbo. tail 38mm fp manifold speed density an 02 mvs dump for the tial. However I ended up with a 98 split thrust block for a build. I have the whole long block

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back