The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

91 6 bolt into 93 CW 7 bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93AWDDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
hello, my 1g 7 bolt finally walked two days ago. I am going to be picking up a 1991 6 bolt and hoping to drop in and go. I do have a few questions

would I be keeping the same ECU that'a already in the car?
should all of the sensors connect without any hack wiring?

EDIT: also I would be getting a air cooled oil filter housing with the 6 bolt how would I go about the water lines on my 14b?

thanks!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Should drop straight in. When I did my 14b in 1g auto swap I just used the stock water lines than fed oil off the ofh

Should drop straight in. When I did my 14b in 1g auto swap I just used the stock water lines than fed oil off the ofh

The oil filter housing I'll be getting is only air cooled?

Also to the person that said "did you check your crank bolt" - I have another thread for you. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/465116-oh-jeez-walking.html
It lost power going up an average hill before loosing vacuum pressure and went into 4th just bog, 3rd bog and died dash lights came on. Got out had buddy push clutch and I the whole assembly move about an inch.

Also I never got to measure end play it's been my DD hoping it would have gone a little longer.

Any people that have swapped 91s into 93s with everything connecting up please advise. Thanks

Feed the oil from the head but what about my water lines from the thermo housing? Am I capping them since my 93 has water lines going to its OFH

...what about my water lines from the thermo housing? Am I capping them since my 93 has water lines going to its OFH

One of four things...

1. Use the '90 coolant setup, including the thermostat housing and water pipe, and continue to feed coolant to your turbo. This setup has no provisions for a oil cooler coolant feed at at the thermostat housing nor a return at the water pipe by the water pump. The alternative to the '90 thermostat housing is use what is on hand and somehow seal or plug the oil cooler feed. The return would still need modified. See #4.
  2. Loop the coolant lines that would normally run to the oil cooler if the plan were to use the original '91+ turbo setup.
  3. Use a non-turbo thermostat housing and water pipe and do not run coolant to your turbo.
  4. Modify what you have to block and seal the oil cooler feed at the thermostat housing and return at the water pipe by the water pump.

As well, keep the ECU that is in the car. Everything should swap straight over without any modification to wiring, assuming the 6-bolt is not from a '90. If it is and assuming it comes with the following components, reuse the '93 throttle body, cam angle sensor, power transistor unit, and coil pack. That will make it as easy a swap as it can be.

basically its a 1991 6 bolt with Air cooled OFH. I'm removing my 7 bolt due to crankwalk...anyways this is my DD and I'm trying to get it in and running ASAP, which do you think the best and simplest way to go is?

Thanks.

Without knowing what resources you have at your disposal, that is a hard question to answer.

Why does the '91 engine come with an air cooled oil filter housing? Does it already have a '90 water pipe and thermostat housing to account for that? If not, what components are on the '91 in terms of water pipe and thermostat housing?

I'd personally opt for #1 or #3. But that's me and I have the components available to do either one. If you don't have non-turbo components or you don't have the '90 turbo components, those make for a couple silly suggestions, especially if you want this done ASAP. If I didn't have the parts for #1 or #3, I'd look at #2.

alright thanks for the input. I will be checking the 91 motor out hopefully this weekend to see what components are actually on it.

-if i went with a n/t thermostat housing and n/t water pipe what would i use to block the 14b holes for coolant?

-if i went with a n/t thermostat housing and n/t water pipe what would i use to block the 14b holes for coolant?

Either leave them open or find a couple oil pan drain plugs (M14 x 1.5 mm pitch) to put in there.

And just so we're perfectly clear, the non-turbo parts must be from a 4G63.

Yeah I know parts must come from a 4g63 n/t. Advice on building a 6 bolt stock bottom with my 7 bolt head?

Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back