The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

All 4G63T guys please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GsxEcutioner

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 3, 2007
San Bruno, California
Hey guys, I need a little info that I noticed from the Evo guys. I need.
Make:
Model:
Year:
And Engine Code:
Engine code SHOULD look like this(taken from a ebay Jdm motor post):

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm trying to BAR a 6 bolt in a OBDII car using 1G wiring harness, 2G ecu with v3. Just need to know the engine codes such as above so that I know what state ref will be looking for. Thanks
-Shane

Last edited:
how is this possible? This forum used to be filled with members. Can anyone please just go outside and check it? Identification should be right behind the dipstick on the block under 4G63.
-Shane

I've never seen a code on an engine checked by any dmv or state worker when I've bought a vehicle... just the vin on the dash, also curious to what this is even about?

maybe people don't want you using there code, LOL
Not to mention I wouldn't be surprised if you were doing something illegal from how you worded it.

The code under the 4G63 refer to YEAR of motor and Assembly Line it came from. It has nothing to do with VIN or anything of the sort. It's just a BLOCK IDENTIFICATION NUMBER.

You want a 6 bolt engine code for state ref? what is this? Are you trying to match the years/model/code for a title?

I am trying to BAR a motor for CA . When you State REF to legalize the swap, engine identification number shows year and assembly line the motor is from. NOT VIN. I would need a motor of the same year or newer as my car alkng with the correct engine harness and ecu. It's just so I can find a motor that matches my needs.NOTHING ILLEGAL IS BEING ASKED. Thanks
-Shane

I've never seen a code on an engine checked by any dmv or state worker when I've bought a vehicle... just the vin on the dash, also curious to what this is even about?

This is for CA State Referee. I am trying to legalize a swap but need the identification codes to find a motor that's going to fit the requirements. Each motor code has nothing to do with VIN. It has to do with year and assembly line that it left the factory.

For reference of what in talking about.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Is this cause theres alot of car theft and engine stealing in california? Never knew you had to approve a swap. What if your motor blew? Your SOL? Doesnt sound like something that should be worried about imo.

No its not, For State Referee , Requirements for Engine swaps are Same year or Newer for motor, and Ecu. I am swapping a 95 Mirage to Evo III , this would mean the motor and ecu must be from a 95+. I need to know the Engine BLOCK ID # so I can find a motor. If it DOESNT comply , I won't be able to Legalize the swap. They don't check VINS, just Block and Head Identification...
-Shane

Mitsubishi
Eclipse
KN6369

Thank you! I am looking for this kind of info. Everyone that is willing to help, please do this for me.
-Shane

So in California my 92 6bolt with my 99 head in my 99 gsx is illeagal?

Yep, you're not supposed to swap blocks and all that unless it's from the same year or newer. I'm sure a regular smog won't notice but when you go to the State Referee , they check EVERYTHING.

doing a quick google search, seems the only thing they care about. are the emissions stand point. aka, ALL factory emissions items must be from the swapped motor and comply to CA smog laws. in other words, to do this swap, you would need every single piece including any sensors and valves that deal with emissions from the evo3 motor, not just the block.

also, every post ive seen in my quick google search. says to just call the bar office and they will walk you through everything they are looking for.

doing a quick google search, seems the only thing they care about. are the emissions stand point. aka, ALL factory emissions items must be from the swapped motor and comply to CA smog laws. in other words, to do this swap, you would need every single piece including any sensors and valves that deal with emissions from the evo3 motor, not just the block.

also, every post ive seen in my quick google search. says to just call the bar office and they will walk you through everything they are looking for.

I've already BARD my swapped Civic Hatch, All Emissions and Catalytic converter must be from the donor. Engine block and head identification numbers must be from the same year or newer donor. I really just need the info that was posted above ^ please take the time for me to check yours and let me know year of car and engine stamp. Thanks
-Shane

Thats interesting cause it's not like i could find a 99 block that easy LOL plus they must not know the earlier years have a better drsign. Oh well. This isnt something I'll ever have to worry about anyway.

CA is emission Nazi, please let me know the block number on yours.

I understand why people are hesitant to give you their block ID number. If you had a stolen block you could fill in your numbers with a MIG welder then mill the number plate and stamp in a good block ID, then spray it with battery electrolyte to make it oxidized and appear aged as not to arouse suspicion.

What you need to do is take the VIN number that is stamped on the block just below where the cam sprockets would be, and run it through CAPS or Mitsu ASA. That will give you all the info you seek.

If you would like, I can run it for you if you PM me the VIN. But for future reference, please don't ask members to send you vehicle identifiable info. It might violate some site policies or compromise members.

And to others, I would advise you not to post vehicle identifiable information in threads for your own safety.

He is not asking for our vin from our block, he is asking for the engine model number, this is a common number that alot of our blocks will share.

He is not asking for our vin from our block, he is asking for the engine model number, this is a common number that alot of our blocks will share.

I'm pretty sure the block ID numbers are factory serial numbers unique to each block. The 4G63 indicates engine family, the first two letters indicate plant/batch, and the 4 digit number indicates unit within that casting run. If you have information to dispel that I invite you to share it.

However if I am correct, there is no need to open the gates up to the possibility of defrauding a block code to cover a stolen engine. I think we can all agree that the possibility, as minute as it may be, is a detriment to the DSM community.

The bottom line is there is no reason to post our block numbers or any other factory identifier on the internet. Like I said in my original post, the member that started the thread can find out (More accurately) all the desired information about the block by running the VIN.

If there is any question or doubt, It could be answered in the VIN and I would be cautious of parts in a person's possession that didn't already know their origin.

Don't post any numbers that are on your vehicle unless you are willing to chance having a talk with detectives.

If your gonna source a later [post 1995] engine block for the swap, I don't see why you can't just use the vin number stamped on the[post 1995] block you buy.

I know, according to you the people at the ref place don't use the Vin stamped on the engine block, but that does not mean it wont help you verify what year motor you have.

It's the tenth digit of the Vin, stamped on the bell housing side of the engine.
for example a 2g turbo DSM engine with an S in the tenth digit of the Vin should be a 1995
a [T] for 1996
a [V] for 1997
a [W] for 1998
a [X] for 1999

This would be assuming you get your 4G63T out of a 1995-1999 2G Turbo DSM.
hope this helps.

If you plan on buying a used motor you should check the Vin stamped on it anyway, cause who knows the motor you buy may have been stolen, also if the Vin looks like it has been tampered with, or is scrubbed off [or not even present] simply walkaway.

If your gonna source a later [post 1995] engine block for the swap, I don't see why you can't just use the vin number stamped on the[post 1995] block you buy.

I know, according to you the people at the ref place don't use the Vin stamped on the engine block, but that does not mean it wont help you verify what year motor you have.

It's the tenth digit of the Vin, stamped on the bell housing side of the engine.
for example a 2g turbo DSM engine with an S in the tenth digit of the Vin should be a 1995
a [T] for 1996
a [V] for 1997
a [W] for 1998
a [X] for 1999

This would be assuming you get your 4G63T out of a 1995-1999 2G Turbo DSM.
hope this helps.

If you plan on buying a used motor you should check the Vin stamped on it anyway, cause who knows the motor you buy may have been stolen, also if the Vin looks like it has been tampered with, or is scrubbed off [or not even present] simply walkaway.

Excellent info but I think the OP was trying to determine if his 1G block was 49 state or CA certified. The only way to tell that is by running the VIN through CAPS or ASA as far as I know.

Note worthy vfaq post on VIN decoding: Decoding VINs

however if i am correct, there is no need to open the gates up to the possibility of defrauding a block code to cover a stolen engine. I think we can all agree that the possibility, as minute as it may be, is a detriment to the dsm community.

The bottom line is there is no reason to post our block numbers or any other factory identifier on the internet. Like i said in my original post, the member that started the thread can find out (more accurately) all the desired information about the block by running the vin.

^+1!

So how is it illegal and yet there's so many people doing 6 bolt swaps to 2Gs in CA and have legal tags??? So if my girlfriend and I moved back to CA where she's from, my '97 6 bolt spyder would be completely illegal for street useage? They could just kiss my A$$....

So how is it illegal and yet there's so many people doing 6 bolt swaps to 2Gs in CA and have legal tags??? So if my girlfriend and I moved back to CA where she's from, my '97 6 bolt spyder would be completely illegal for street useage? They could just kiss my A$$....

Um it's not like most regular no name smog techs can tell you have a 6 bolt motor in a 2g... well depending on if the swap looks clean anyway.
[if the swap looks clean and, you don't tell them they most likely wont know, both engines look pretty much the same]
basic smog check/test only centers are only looking at emissions related stuff and their functions, like the egr valve, vacuum lines, charcoal canister,fuel cap, and stuff of this nature, If they really feel antsy they will look at the motor code,
but remember a 6 bolt code also says 4G63 so it looks the same as a 6 bolt motor, heck some guys in California are getting away with 2.4 liter 4G64/G4CS blocks why would 6 bolt motor in a 2g surprise you LOL.

but try and swap a 4g63 with turbo and intercooler from an early 1g dsm into a 1995 Mitsubishi mirage, or any other car that never even had a 4G63T, let alone a dohc Mitsubishi motor from the factory, and I'm sure someone is likely going to notice, when you go to a basic smog test place, if they see something that looks off, or something they cant explain,
[like a motor swap] they will recommend you go to the state referee, where they look at almost everything closely[for a small fee if in fact any], and if they like what they see they will give you a special sticker that claims the motor has now been swapped over correctly, and you can take it anywhere to smog it after that.

Swapped correctly... Meaning the engine was verified by the state ref that it came out of a newer car, and so did all emissions components attached to it.
Note: you cant use Federal emissions parts, if the car you are swapping was originally a California emissions car.

below here is a link to a magazine article talking about the basic laws. California Engine Swap Guidelines - Import Tuner Magazine
I should not have to say this, but the smog laws are lethal out here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back