The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Starts goes to 3000rpm then dies

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renovatdkitchen

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 25, 2011
Toronto, ON_Canada
So I just finished a 2 week job of rebuilding the engine/drive train and swapping it over into a new chassis. Did the first start and the RPM's wen't to 3000 RPM climbed a little, then died right after.

What I've done:
-checked the ISC
-checked for vacuum leaks

What I know:
-The ISC gasket I bought looks abnormally skinny
-New throttle body gaskets
-The new ISC works
-The throttle cables aren't tight
-The BISS screw is nearly fully in and fairly new
-The cam angle sensor works because it properly registers the engine speed
-Its running near stoich afr's
-New intake manifold gasket (was paper, instead of the usual metal ones but was given to me from the previous owner)
-No known or visible boost leaks
-Timing is dead on
-Spark plug firing order is correct
-TPS works
-Coolant temp sensor works
-ECU works

Stumped as to what it could possibly be. Any ideas? I'm thinking it's the ISC gasket because of its very small size compared to the gasket that I replaced, but that's just my idea. Not sure if it's correct.

Also, here is the log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/stte8sd4ixiokhv/log.2014.03.28-18.elg

Last edited:
To let everyone know, a 2G intake manifold gasket WILL NOT seal a 1G intake manifold to a 1G head. It leaves small spaces under each runner.

Proper OEM gasket (do not get a paper gasket) and the car runs like a champ now. :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back