The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

How to deepen oil pan & pickup anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer Fabrications

10+ Year Contributor
May 9, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
I thought i saw i thread around here where devin shultz deepened his oil pan by something like 6" welded the pieces back together and there were a few pictures i can't seem to find.

Has anyone else deepened their oil pan? Have pictures? I'm trying to get the oiling system nice and full when the power starts kickin in on my next turbo and the rpms are high during drag racing. I know kiggley has his oil pickup mod and I'll email him for more info on it.

Does anyone know what gauge and side pipe would be needed to weld an extension to the pickup?

Also does anyone know the oil pans thickness? I have a spare 6bolt I'm trying this out with and if i mKe it work will be swapping it to the built motor in my car.

Thanks in advance guys!

You know you can add an extra quart into the stock pan if your worried about oil starvation at high g's. The same goes for the transmission also. If you're really worried about a bigger pan just get the moroso one or add bulges to the stock pan. Its not complicated nor hard.

You can figure out the gauge when you cut into the stock one.

Thanks Will i already had the link to the pickuo mod, but I'm interested in seeing something for EXTENDING the pickup as kiggley suggests. Not just the sheet metal around the screen.

Lasthope05, do you know how much to over fill is okay? I was more worried about in that instance having the oil level higher than the turbo drain.

Thanks Will i already had the link to the pickuo mod, but I'm interested in seeing something for EXTENDING the pickup as kiggley suggests. Not just the sheet metal around the screen.

Lasthope05, do you know how much to over fill is okay? I was more worried about in that instance having the oil level higher than the turbo drain.

I use about a qt or a little less. The extra qt touches the drain a bit but when the motors running the oil level naturally drops down anyways from circulation so the drain is never blocked.

what I did to my evo pan

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

First started of by cutting some 1.5 inch width strips , shapping and tacking to the pan

a shot showing the difference in elevation with the pan attached

I also added a little swiss cheesed diffuser plate to promote a slower rate of flow of oil as if moves by the pick up

and the oil pan finished up-- a little clean up and leakage testing, then it will be off to the powdercoaters

Finished up my oil pick up tube which accomodates for the increased oil pan depth.

Good plan!

Here is an idea for your pick up extension.

A Ford 302 pick up screen.

The ID of the tube is the same as the 4g measuring about .642

The bonus is the covered screen on the Ford so it should be able to sit lower in the oil pan sump.

urban I can measure up and get back, basically I just matched up the diameter of the stock pick up tube , as far as the sheet, I used 18 ga I believe, just tried to match the stock pan thicknesses as best as I could.

1.5 " gave me a calculated increase of 1.4 quarts . The car has not been put together since the pan was modified , so I couldn't tell you about ground clearance. It wouldn't sit lower than my downpipe ( at least in my application) of a lowered evo.

that ford pick up idea is a good one. Thank you for the post

Another option is to lob off the factory sump and then just make an entire new one from scratch. This is how most of the aftermarket steel drag race and circle track pans are for the V8 cars.

Kyle, if you don't already have a source for materials, check out Online Metal Store | Small Quantity Metal Orders | Metal Cutting, Sales & Shipping | Buy Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless | Metal Product Guides at OnlineMetals.com. They're probably not the cheapest, but they seem to always have anything and everything. And they are running a sale right now - 20% off orders under $100 and 30% off orders over $100. Sales ends 6pm PST today though.

I lucked out and have a metal "supermarket" as they call it. A few blocks away so I'm covered there :thumb: i dont plan to make one from scratch too mich trial and error even if i use the oem pan flange. Rather just do what some of those above me have.

Anyone find that devin shultz pan pic?

The Ford pick up part number would be Melling S681 or 2 or 3 any of those will work

Or if at the pick and pull, about any 302 or 351W, car or truck

Building a sump from scrach seems like it would be easier than adding 1.5" into a countoured area. Building a sump from scratch is just welding up a 5-sided box and then welding said box to the pan. Add a drain plug, paint, and done.

exactly Paul :) . If I was to do it again, I would do just that, because I had to contour and hammer on my pan alot to reduce the gaps before I welded it up.

Urban Keep in mind that the evo oil pan is easier to modify as it has almost vertical walls. A 2g pan is whole different animal as most of its sump walls are sloped.

Well it's a good thing i have a 6 bolt LOL

So for welding the pick up sheet metal, which direction would the opening be facing? Tward the front of the car? What would be considered the "leading edge of the pickup" And about how much extension is recommended to sit it at the bottom of the stock pan with maybe 3mm clearance?

Sorry i havnt kept this one active.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back